Why become a member? ×

Your first tune.

RobF

Hey Joe. It was on a flexi disc with a no bass (or vocals?) backing track. It came with some 'teach yourself bass guitar' book I had. Also had Sunshine of Your Love and a 12 bore blues in A.

Probably the only covers I could play at the drop of a hat even now.

• Like 1

I’ve just remembered. The very first song I could play all the way though, was All right now by Free. Myself and my guitar playing mate tried to impress two girls by playing it to them. Just playing. No singing. They must have wondered when I was going to come in! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ubit said:

I’ve just remembered. The very first song I could play all the way though, was All right now by Free. Myself and my guitar playing mate tried to impress two girls by playing it to them. Just playing. No singing. They must have wondered when I was going to come in! 😂

In my experience I think some punters still wonder that now when that song is played! 

• Like 1

It was a while back, but pretty sure it will have been "I wanna be adored" by the stone roses. I knew it on guitar and loved it when we swapped instruments at band rehearsals- I bet it was the first thing I played when i finally got my own first own bass around 10 years later 😁

Some belters on here folks please keep them coming- I'm gonna use this as a reference and come back when I fancy learning something new 😎 

On 08/03/2019 at 17:01, BigRedX said:

After almost 40 years of playing the bass I only learnt this last year as one of the bands I'm play it occasionally in their current set.

Its a fun tune to play - I know that SOM are not associated with "Fun" but its certainly still one of my go to noodles.  

Love Me Tender by Elvis. I have the music notation tattooed around my arm.

Funny story but I was sat on a plane coming back from NYC once and there was a queue down the aisle for the loo. This old lady in the queue was just staring at my tattoos and although normally pretty placid, it got to the point I was about to say something. She then piped up with "Love Me Tender". She'd been reading the notation to work out what the song was!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

Funny story but I was sat on a plane coming back from NYC once and there was a queue down the aisle for the loo. This old lady in the queue was just staring at my tattoos and although normally pretty placid, it got to the point I was about to say something. She then piped up with "Love Me Tender". She'd been reading the notation to work out what the song was!

Good job it wasn't in Braille.

• 2 weeks later...

A set of 50s Rock n Roll tunes I joined my first band after just 6 months of playing Bass...I had been messing round with the 12 bar stuff whilst learning some basic bits n bobs and an ad appeared in local music store "Bassist wanted for 50s Rock n Roll band" so I thought what the hell give it a bash and I surprisingly got the job....I think I was the only one lol...I blagged it to Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Elvis ect just basically played the same thing in different keys and varied it occasionally. Good luck.

On 11/03/2019 at 18:08, SpondonBassed said:
On 11/03/2019 at 15:48, Cat Burrito said:

Good job it wasn't in Braille.

Would have been even more entertaining if the old lady had said "Du Hast?"

4 hours ago, Carlcoops said:

I've only just bought my first ever instrument, an epiphone toby deluxe iv. Owned it about 6 weeks. Just starting to pick things up off YouTube and stuff. The song I've now learned (not perfect yet) is White Stripes - 7 Nation Army. 

Good for you. Youtube can be a great resource for everyone, from beginners to players with much experience. I wish it had been around when I first started 30-odd years ago. Enjoy! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Good for you. Youtube can be a great resource for everyone, from beginners to players with much experience. I wish it had been around when I first started 30-odd years ago. Enjoy! 

Even more so with phones and apps available that get you bass tabs. Wish I'd started younger, I'm 43 now. Still plenty of time yet though. 

On 03/03/2019 at 16:41, skankdelvar said:

A 12-bar blues pattern in A from the Jim Gregory / Harvey Vinson bass book, played on an unplugged Commodore semi-acoustic in 1975

629453329_harveyvinsonbass.jpg.574c7286929011a96dd8d0a57316b99f.jpg

I still have my copy of that. (Although the floppy vinyl disk seems to have been lost in action at some point).

Apart from that, I seem to remember a lot of riffs. Peaches, Sunshine of Your Love, Egyptian Reggae.

First song I actually managed to trancscribe all the way through was Meet Me On The Corner by Lindisfarne.

• Like 1