Why become a member? ×

Your first tune.

RobF

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

A 12-bar blues pattern in A from the Jim Gregory / Harvey Vinson bass book, played on an unplugged Commodore semi-acoustic in 1975

629453329_harveyvinsonbass.jpg.574c7286929011a96dd8d0a57316b99f.jpg

I taught myself rhythm guitar from Harvey Vinson's 'Rhythm Guitar' book. It stood me in good stead.

First tune I learned on bass was probably either Peaceful Easy Feeling or Apache, learned for a home recording on 4-track cassette.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobF said:

OK, raw beginner here. I've learned a few scales, can 'play' without buzz, fingers in the right place, not yet knowledgeable on the perfect sound required. 

After a few intros under my belt, I decided to learn a tune, from start to finish, that I could play along to. 

On my Epi EB0 through a Peavey Vypyr.

Ive done it.        Nothing taxing I must admit, Roxette ala Dr  Feelgood. . . .and it feels good ! 

What was yours ? 

I Love the Sound of Breaking Glass by Nick Lowe.  That would be the first cover that I learned.  I still don't feel I do it justice forty years later...!

Before that I was playing to original songs that were derivative of a lot of the eighties stuff from Smiths, Joy Div/New Order, REM and such.  We were a side project of the drummer's and it was for a laugh more than for the gigs.

• Like 1

I started playing around 8 years ago and it was "RHCP - I'm with you" album that made me finally pick up a bass after playing guitar for a few years.

The first song I learned was The Adventures of Raindance Maggie, followed by Factory of Faith and Dani California... Then the rest of their discography 😂

9 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Sunshine of Your Love by Cream.

DITTO !

1968 - Saturday morning 'rehearsals' at the drummers house. There were six inputs on the only amp we had - a VOX AC30, so there were two guitars, a bass and three mikes plugged into it

Must have sounded......err......fantastic!   😀  👍

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

A 12-bar blues pattern in A from the Jim Gregory / Harvey Vinson bass book, played on an unplugged Commodore semi-acoustic in 1975

629453329_harveyvinsonbass.jpg.574c7286929011a96dd8d0a57316b99f.jpg

I too had a copy of that book. I learned to play 12 bar blues, playing along with the flexi-disc which came with the book :)
But my first tune I actually learned was the end / catchy bit of "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac

and the first one I could actually play along to a record of, was "Peaches" by the Stranglers....
Someone had taught me the bass line, I played it seemingly forever, until I could get it to flow nicely (ish)
and then I discovered I had been taught it in the wrong key! lol

• Like 1

No idea, any one of: 

1) Hey Joe (Hendrix version);

2) Sunshine of your Love; 

3) You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC)

4) A Stevie Ray Vaughan song. Think it was Pride and Joy. 

5) Purple Haze. 

Over 20 years playing, but I have still never learned Smoke on the Water. 

I have only ever bought two tab books for Californication and Blood Sugar Sex Magik. That was about two years after I started learning and about 8 years before Youtube 'How to play' videos were a thing. 

I can't remember what the first full song I learned but I do remember going to the local jazz club and the guy who ran it taught us a little twelve bar blues passage. We performed it and received some polite applause.

Iron Maiden's 'Running Free', in early 1986, from playing along to Live After Death on vinyl.

I got my first bass in summer 1986, but had been trying to work that song out for a couple of months beforehand plucking on a school violin (it sounded awful tho).

Edited by bassbiscuits

17 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Iron Maiden's 'Running Free', in early 1986, from playing along to Live After Death on vinyl.

I got my first bass in summer 1986, but had been trying to work that song out for a couple of months beforehand plucking on a school violin (it sounded awful tho).

This springs to mind now :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Related image

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Iron Maiden's 'Running Free',

I had a very crappy nylon string acoustic and put steels trings on it which gradually destroyed it. It rattled so much I painted a rattlesnake on the front.

My mate and I got cheap Kay electrics (mine was the 'SG' copy (K-T2, I still have it), his the 'strat' and we managed to figure out 'Running Free' between us (it had just come out and he had the single). That guitar took part in many very drunken and scrappy sing-alongs (mostly helped by the Beatles Compleat) when I went to college. My first composition was called 'Mindless Violence' and it went something like '||: what we want is mindless violence:||'

Much later a mate of mine leant me his precision (!) which was the start of the road to bassiness. I would guess my first bassline that wasn't a guitary thing was probably pounding along to Hawkwind.

• Like 1