Why become a member? ×

Your first tune.

RobF

OK, raw beginner here. I've learned a few scales, can 'play' without buzz, fingers in the right place, not yet knowledgeable on the perfect sound required. 

After a few intros under my belt, I decided to learn a tune, from start to finish, that I could play along to. 

On my Epi EB0 through a Peavey Vypyr.

Ive done it.        Nothing taxing I must admit, Roxette ala Dr  Feelgood. . . .and it feels good ! 

What was yours ? 

Edited by RobF
Fat fingers
  • Like 3

When I was a kid at school, I took bass lessons but spent more time playing Oasis songs on guitar - so most of my early bass work was for exams. I know I played Axel F and The Pink Panther for my Standard Grade music, so I suppose one of them would be the ‘first’. 

I started playing bass in bands at about 18, after getting frustrated at efforts to recruit a bassist who was at least half capable! So the first song of my own choosing was probably something by Oasis, or perhaps Hey Joe!

My first bass lessons book was 'first steps bass guitar' by Russ Shipton so I probably learnt either 'whiskey in the jar' or 'house of the rising sun'.

When I plucked up the courage to play with real people who could play a bit, I think 'hey joe' or 'green onions' would've been the first songs slaughtered!

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Absolute classic, I’m gonna play that today 👍

It was mainly used to get my timing right. I can't remember what was in between that and another song i liked Mississipi by Pussycat i think it was. I've probably still got the music sheets from my lessons back in 76 :laugh1:

• Like 1

I can't really remember but it would have been something by the Ramones maybe 'Sheena is Punk Rocker' or 'Cretin Hop'?

I pretty much learnt to play bass by playing along to the 'Rocket to Russia' album.

• Like 1

The first track I learned all the way through. Did I get it bang on note and groove wise, yep. Did I understand back then the theory/chord changes behind what Randy Taylor was doing. Nope. was great fun though.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

I can't remember which now but it was something by Status Quo.  I used to play along to Piledriver, Dog Of Two Head and Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon.  That's how I started to play guitar when I was in my teens back in the 70s so I thought it was probably a good way to go about learning bass when I took it up in the noughties.

Probably not progressed a huge amount, tbf. :)