Why become a member? ×

Bi-amping/dual amping

PUREJOYPEOPLE

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I ran a dual amp rig for about 10 years. I loved it.

Then I got old and didn't want to lug about a pair of VBC412 cabs.

And now I can do it all in my Helix.

I have a Heliix for my guitar but it does not work well with my dual amp bass set up. Love it for guitar tho! I have made the bass set up pretty easy to transport. Using a Vox  AC10 and  my Mark Bass cab/amp. I could make it even easier to transport by getting the combo amp version of the Mark III but it's not that important yet ;) 

It's something I'd love to try sometime, but the extra setup time, transport hassle and soundguy acceptance factor (when it's already a 6 piece band with brass) put me off.  The gear I already have around would probably make for a fun setup though, maybe using my Schalltechnik HPF to roll the lows off the guitar combo rather than doing the octave thing. 

DSC_0009_2.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thebassist said:

I play stereo bass in a bass/drums duo too - I use stereo mainly for ping-pong delay - it’s a lot of fun.

A2764D48-C3AE-4263-A685-0B9504251C00.jpeg

This looks awesome! What kind of amplifiers are this? Trickfish? Cant say I've heard of them but they look amazing ;) I'd def fool around with your pedal board haha 

4 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

It's something I'd love to try sometime, but the extra setup time, transport hassle and soundguy acceptance factor (when it's already a 6 piece band with brass) put me off.  The gear I already have around would probably make for a fun setup though, maybe using my Schalltechnik HPF to roll the lows off the guitar combo rather than doing the octave thing. 

DSC_0009_2.JPG

Rad! This is a larger version of what I use (with different amplification) but I bet it cranks! I have access to an eq pedal that I can use as a HPF. Going to try that with the octave thing and see how that goes :)  Thanks for sharing ;) 

On 04/03/2019 at 17:43, PUREJOYPEOPLE said:

I use a Pog 2 instead of any crossover. Basically it tracks everything an octave up to the guitar effects and amp :)

I did this when we were playing some Royal Blood covers.

I'd use an LS2 to split the signals then use the Octave Up from a micro POG into a Fuzz, then into a guitar amp.

Though I could never get a sound I particularly liked through the guitar amp.  The Octave up feed from the Micro POG always sounded a bit thin and artificial to me, even with a flip load of gain on the fuzz.

Now I just get the guitarist to do the higher octave parts :).

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I did this when we were playing some Royal Blood covers.

I'd use an LS2 to split the signals then use the Octave Up from a micro POG into a Fuzz, then into a guitar amp.

Though I could never get a sound I liked through the guitar amp.  The Octave up feed from the Micro POG always sounded a bit thin and artificial to me, even with a flip load of gain on the fuzz.

Now I just get the guitarist to do the higher octave parts :).

Yup, that's pretty much how I do it. 

We're pretty happy with the guitar sound but always trying to improve it. When recording we can really dial it in :)  The Pog 2 seems to be a better option because I can tweak it more.  Amp def have a lot to do wit it as well. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

My pedal board from that era.  Think I've sold all but 1 pedal on there, kind of regretting that after reading this thread ☹️.

20170114_pedalboard.thumb.jpg.74f56ef66a225935c023b3aaf22ae539.jpg

Interesting that you had 2 LS2 pedals... I just use one and the tuner for off/on switches. Was there a reason you found you needed to do that? Very cool simple set up tho ;) 

18 minutes ago, PUREJOYPEOPLE said:

Interesting that you had 2 LS2 pedals... I just use one and the tuner for off/on switches. Was there a reason you found you needed to do that? Very cool simple set up tho ;) 

Yup, keep it simple, I've never been one for crazy pedal  boards.  Only 1 of the LS-2s was used for the Bi-Amping. 

I had that LS-2 set up up so that I could have Bass and Guitar together or Guitar Only.  I didn't need any bass only sections in the 2 or 3 RB covers we played.  If I had then using the tuner to mute the guitar line would probably have worked well.

The second LS-2 was used to mix the dry bass signal with the fuzz I had on the bass line at the time.  The pedal didn't have a blend control it's self but it wasn't really needed as it retained the low end pretty well anyway.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Yup, keep it simple, I've never been one for crazy pedal  boards.  Only 1 of the LS-2s was used for the Bi-Amping. 

I had that LS-2 set up up so that I could have Bass and Guitar together or Guitar Only.  I didn't need any bass only sections in the 2 or 3 RB covers we played.  If I had then using the tuner to mute the guitar line would probably have worked well.

The second LS-2 was used to mix the dry bass signal with the fuzz I had on the bass line at the time.  The pedal didn't have a blend control it's self but it wasn't really needed as it retained the low end pretty well anyway.

I got ya. Very cool :)

10 hours ago, fretmeister said:

If you can't do it in the Helix then you are doing it wrong.

Well, that is quite possible but the sounds just did not seem to work the same as individual pedals with my set up. They would possibly work well on the bass side but I need a lot less there. 

Just plugged this in at home for the first time this evening. 

Ashdown ABM500 through a pair of Aguilar DB112 cabs for the lows and a Laney Vc100 all valve head through a Laney IRT212 cab for the highs. 

You might be surprised to hear that it's quite loud. 😐

IMG_20190310_162228.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1