Why become a member? ×

Sore Fingers

stewblack

This is troubling. My fingers are really quite sore after last night's gig. I don't know if there's a connection but the third finger left hand acquired a nasty puncture wound the day prior to the gig and so I expected that to smart, the hole was precisely where I press onto the string. Do you think it's possible that I played at a slightly awkward angle trying to avoid using that finger or minimise contact to the affected area? If so could this be the cause of my pain today? Obviously I wouldn't know if I was as I don't look at my fingers or think what they're doing while I'm performing.

It's a little worrying as any other weekend I'd be out again today and I would really be struggling. Also I'm no beginner, I practise hours every day and never experience finger tip pain at rehearsals, at home or at gigs. I have a new set of forty songs to get down in about a fortnight and I don't want to exacerbate the problem. Are there any unguents or potions you would recommend to ease my predicament?

Strings were fairly new and I clean them regularly, it was crowded and I was sweating freely, but again that's hardly unusual. Only other factor I can think of is I've been playing flats at home but took basses strung with rounds last night.

I’m not saying the rounds are the main reason but,  I can play quite comfortably for 3 hours on flats , but my p bass has rounds and after about 30 minutes my fingers feel slightly sore ,  maybe it’s because I’m not used to them. 

Try some sudocrem on them it’s good for minor skin complaints it’s a antiseptic healing cream 🙂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m not saying the rounds are the main reason but,  I can play quite comfortably for 3 hours on flats , but my p bass has rounds and after about 30 minutes my fingers feel slightly sore ,  maybe it’s because I’m not used to them. 

Try some sudocrem on them it’s good for minor skin complaints it’s a antiseptic healing cream 🙂

Thanks I shall. There's no cuts or splits (apart from the wounded one) but man they hurt when I play.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I did superglue the hole in my third finger, what concerns me is why suddenly out of the blue would I get so sore when I've been playing for so many years without any issues 

Done more washing up lately than usual?

I once ran a cafe bar, and my washing up duties softened up my "usually rock hardness" no end... hence the Superglue before rehearsals 😬

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

Super glue seems a bit high risk to me 😁

I think your original post said it. You've been favouring the wounded digit and that's caused excess/unusual pressure/posture on the rest.

Plus, as mentioned, you've been playing flats for a bit.

• Like 1

Years ago, we were playing very regularly. My fingers started breaking out with dermatitis. In between my fingers became inflamed and sore and eventually, the skin would burst and I would bleed. I've actually played with blood running down my hands! I had to find out what was causing it. I tried at work to get tests done, but that never came to anything. Eventually, I worked out for myself that it was the nickel strings that I was allergic to. I changed to stainless steel strings and have had no problems ever since.

Edited by ubit
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Lighten up. . . . if you guys are hurting after playing then you're doing it wrong!!!!

It's possible I was playing unusually hard that night but seems unlikely. I was very relaxed.