Why become a member? ×

Loving LEAD bass! Anyone else doing this?

PUREJOYPEOPLE

Hey all, we started playing as a full time two piece about 7 months ago and we're just so happy we did. Lead bass is awesome and especially with a dual amp set up :) If you or anyone you know is doing something similar, we'd love to hear from ya!  Any suggestions for fuzz pedals would be great and also I love pedals with a momentary switch, if you happen to know about any of those!

Edited by PUREJOYPEOPLE

11 hours ago, Bobthedog said:

I have just listened to your New Eyes single. Very good. 

Thank you! We recorded that one with guitars but we play it as a two piece :) It was actually one of our songs that had us realizing we could realistically play as a two piece ;) 

8 hours ago, joeystrange said:

Death From Above 1979 were the first band I saw doing this kind of thing. They’ve released three distinctly different albums so far. This is from the first...

There’s also a local (to me) band called You Want Fox who are pretty good!

DFA is rad. Probably my fav song you posted too. Really like this band You Want Fox!  Going to look for more by them. Super cool sound for a bass ;)

Edited by PUREJOYPEOPLE
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Quite a few classic country hits in the 60s and 70s featured a 6 string bass lead. Apart from that, lead bass is something of a crime against nature (ducks and runs for cover 😁)

haha, how dare you say anything negative about bass ;) It's funny to me that the 6 string was used so much in Country, of all genres lol 

Lots of great stuff already mentioned, I can think of three other bands doing it as a two piece, Ed Schrader's Music Beat from Baltimore I think, Right Hand Left Hand from Wales, and Japandroids from Canada (admittedly, only the first one has a bass 'lead').

I used to dual amp briefly, was a lot of fun, and loud :D I split the signal through a DI box which had an xlr output - that went in as clean for bass into a trace elliot, and line output which went into an orange guitar cab with effects on the way in, and more effects in the fx loop section of the DI box, and had a basic Boss looper on the line going to the bass amp to send a bass line loop there, a tuner before it to mute the signal while playing 'guitar' parts over the bass loop.

Now I know there are easier, more streamlined or high tech ways to do this but while it lasted, it was great fun and I enjoyed the quirkiness of it. 

But I did not sing, never will - would get arrested if I did. Your singing is immense, can't wait for you to go on tour here, would love to catch you live somewhere in London. What you do now, having watched the recent duo only live song sounds like a cooler version of the white stripes (cooler because you're just way cooler than jack white will ever be ;) ).

Fuzz pedals, oof, don't get us started :D I've got the impression that fuzz has more varieties than all other pedals combined, there's like 264 different version of big muff alone. Anyway, my favourite dirt boxes are fat fuzz factory by zvex, bass big muff by ehx and turbo rat by proco (and there are literally hundreds I want to own and try but I wouldn't have any time left for actually playing bass and enjoying it if I went down the rabbit hole!).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Romeo2 said:

Lots of great stuff already mentioned, I can think of three other bands doing it as a two piece, Ed Schrader's Music Beat from Baltimore I think, Right Hand Left Hand from Wales, and Japandroids from Canada (admittedly, only the first one has a bass 'lead').

I used to dual amp briefly, was a lot of fun, and loud :D I split the signal through a DI box which had an xlr output - that went in as clean for bass into a trace elliot, and line output which went into an orange guitar cab with effects on the way in, and more effects in the fx loop section of the DI box, and had a basic Boss looper on the line going to the bass amp to send a bass line loop there, a tuner before it to mute the signal while playing 'guitar' parts over the bass loop.

Now I know there are easier, more streamlined or high tech ways to do this but while it lasted, it was great fun and I enjoyed the quirkiness of it. 

But I did not sing, never will - would get arrested if I did. Your singing is immense, can't wait for you to go on tour here, would love to catch you live somewhere in London. What you do now, having watched the recent duo only live song sounds like a cooler version of the white stripes (cooler because you're just way cooler than jack white will ever be ;) ).

Fuzz pedals, oof, don't get us started :D I've got the impression that fuzz has more varieties than all other pedals combined, there's like 264 different version of big muff alone. Anyway, my favourite dirt boxes are fat fuzz factory by zvex, bass big muff by ehx and turbo rat by proco (and there are literally hundreds I want to own and try but I wouldn't have any time left for actually playing bass and enjoying it if I went down the rabbit hole!).

haha, great post and not just because you're way too kind to us! But def for the bands you mentioned and other info... Ed Shraders is super interesting stuff.  Dug around for quite a while on their youtube.  Japandriods are okay. Rad name for sure lol but they seem to always disappoint me for the buzz they get. Just not my thing, I guess. I found an album of Right Hand Left Hand and it's pretty rad musically ;) Just heard a song with vocals and I feel like they should do that more haha  

I def understand going down the rabbit hole with pedals! I am being very picky now that I have the base of what I need but I will check out everything I possibly can over time. There's so much excitement when you fine "the one" haha

I'm not sure we hold a candle to The White Stripes or really anything that Jack White does but the words are much appreciated for sure! We feel like if we're not quite as tight as Royal Blood but also not as loose as TWS we're probably going to be pretty proud of our performance :)  Hope to talk more with you over time!