Why become a member? ×

Earthquaker Sea Machine

danny-79

2 hours ago, jbu09 said:

oi.. thats not good.. have to say mine is great, if anything it warms up the tone a little, and i get no gain jump issues.. Sorry to hear that.. must be frustrating

Yeah it’s a total drop in gain, it sounds great otherwise. I’ve messaged retailer and awaiting reply, I’d be happy with a replacement unit as other than that it sounds great 

1 hour ago, BadHands said:

That's rough! Does it get the 80s sound you're after though? 

No not quite the sound in my head but it’s very nice sounding. I hope I’ve just got a bad unit and can see about getting it changed 

16 hours ago, danny-79 said:

Yeah it’s a total drop in gain, it sounds great otherwise. I’ve messaged retailer and awaiting reply, I’d be happy with a replacement unit as other than that it sounds great 

No not quite the sound in my head but it’s very nice sounding. I hope I’ve just got a bad unit and can see about getting it changed 

If it's not quite what you're after, I'd look elsewhere. I didn't realise until the last 12 months or so, JUST how varied chorus sounds can be. If you're happy with the sound though, at least that gives you more options in case the gain-drop is a common problem.

58 minutes ago, BadHands said:

If it's not quite what you're after, I'd look elsewhere. I didn't realise until the last 12 months or so, JUST how varied chorus sounds can be. If you're happy with the sound though, at least that gives you more options in case the gain-drop is a common problem.

The gain drop makes the pedal unusable in a live situation, you just wouldn’t be heard, no bottom end at all  

If I didn’t know better I’d say it was a manufacturing error and they have put the insides of the guitar version in the wrong chassis? 

On 31/05/2021 at 19:03, danny-79 said:

I did some playing around with mine. At home I practice with a Dave Hall hall pre amp going into my effects return on my practice amp. Til now i have had the Ripply fall before the DHA pre amp. All good, sounds big and warm. I tried the RF alone straight into the amp input.. all good, big and warm. I put the RF after the pre amp.. major drop in level with each of the RF effects having an individual gain reduction..? I have to say i'm baffled by this as i don't see why the pre amp before the RF should have this effect... Any how, I tried the RF at both my band practice sessions on my boards (before the amps pre amp) with no issues, all good bid and warm etc. This doesn't help you i guess, but if you get into any dialogue, you are armed with a little more info at least. Hope you get it resolved..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jbu09 said:

I did some playing around with mine. At home I practice with a Dave Hall hall pre amp going into my effects return on my practice amp. Til now i have had the Ripply fall before the DHA pre amp. All good, sounds big and warm. I tried the RF alone straight into the amp input.. all good, big and warm. I put the RF after the pre amp.. major drop in level with each of the RF effects having an individual gain reduction..? I have to say i'm baffled by this as i don't see why the pre amp before the RF should have this effect... Any how, I tried the RF at both my band practice sessions on my boards (before the amps pre amp) with no issues, all good bid and warm etc. This doesn't help you i guess, but if you get into any dialogue, you are armed with a little more info at least. Hope you get it resolved..

I’ve been on to Andertons (they have been great to deal with) I’ve explained the symptoms and they are going to send me a replacement out and pick the old one up while they are at it tomorrow. (If I’m still not happy with it send it back for a refund) so I’m hoping it’s just a dodgy unit 

(I’d put money on it that some how it’s been built and it’s insides are the guitar version of the pedal, just a hunch but bet I’m not far off) 

(When I was initially testing it I plugged it in every way imaginable (through the front, effect loop, before and after pedal board, 3x different power supplies, 2x different amp heads. 2x basses. I stopped short of trying it with a guitar cause at this point why would I. It was the same drop however it was connected. I just sucked all the power out of everything on either effect. Switch it off and business as usual) 

Edited by danny-79

I had the opposite with the EHX Bass Clone in that with certain pedal chain/loop settings there was a massive volume boost (but it was fine with others). I couldn't figure out why and no-one else has been able to explain it but I think perhaps can there be phase issues where the chorus is cancelling/augmenting....that was my theory anyway. 

Someone mentioned the dimension-c earlier. If you're intrigued, TC do an almost perfect clone of it in their "how-is-this-making-a-profit" £30 odd quid range (3rd dimension). Pretty much a risk free gamble at that price I'd say. 

Edited by bobbass4k

On 02/06/2021 at 19:46, SumOne said:

I had the opposite with the EHX Bass Clone in that with certain pedal chain/loop settings there was a massive volume boost (but it was fine with others). I couldn't figure out why and no-one else has been able to explain it but I think perhaps can there be phase issues where the chorus is cancelling/augmenting....that was my theory anyway. 

I’m getting a replacement unit sent out today. I’ve asked them to check it before hand for the symptoms I’ve described so will soon see, fingers cr

On 03/06/2021 at 10:37, bobbass4k said:

Someone mentioned the dimension-c earlier. If you're intrigued, TC do an almost perfect clone of it in their "how-is-this-making-a-profit" £30 odd quid range (3rd dimension). Pretty much a risk free gamble at that price I'd say. 

It’s on my list , Dimension C is next hopefully 

• 2 weeks later...

So today I sent back the second pedal sent for the same reason as I returned the first. I honestly thought it was a faulty pedal so asked them to check it before sending the replacement. 

Two lots of cabs. Three different amp heads. And three different basses all say that the Jam Pedals Rippley Fall is one to avoid. 

Its a nice sounding pedal on headphones, and with a guitar so basically useless for what I need/want it to do 

I just picked up an EHX Eddy and it is seriously lush sounding. I also have a VFE Choral Reef and a EQD Seamachine clone to compare to and the Eddy is only £89 new (it is built to a cost) but digitally controlled fully analogue signal path beauty of a pedal. Well worth checking out (and there is bass in spades).

3 hours ago, jimbobothy said:

I just picked up an EHX Eddy and it is seriously lush sounding. I also have a VFE Choral Reef and a EQD Seamachine clone to compare to and the Eddy is only £89 new (it is built to a cost) but digitally controlled fully analogue signal path beauty of a pedal. Well worth checking out (and there is bass in spades).

I think that’s the route I’m going down. I currently use a MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe that I’ve had since 2014, was just getting itchy for a change but so far it’s the best Chorus I’ve used, onboard bass/treble control for boost or cut, crossover switch even doubles as a flanger. 

Going to get a regular Phase90 soon as refund has cleared and be done with it. (I’ve actually got one but loaned it to my dad never to be seen again) , put that in front of the chorus and job done. 

Still got a Dimension C in my sights but I’m just about had enough with it (for now at least) 

…. I also compared the EHX Eddy to a mate’s MXR Chorus Deluxe last Saturday and apart from the cross over switch I personally preferred the sound of the EHX Eddy. The MXR sounds more inline with the VFE Choral Reef, more clinical compared to the ‘Lushness’ of the Eddy. Maybe in a mix the crispness may help cut through though.

On 14/06/2021 at 15:21, danny-79 said:

So today I sent back the second pedal sent for the same reason as I returned the first. I honestly thought it was a faulty pedal so asked them to check it before sending the replacement. 

Two lots of cabs. Three different amp heads. And three different basses all say that the Jam Pedals Rippley Fall is one to avoid. 

Its a nice sounding pedal on headphones, and with a guitar so basically useless for what I need/want it to do 

I just saw this today and since I have Rippley Fall I had to try and check if I had never noticed this.  I went through an active bass, RF, amp.  Fairly high volume and when pedal engaged no drop at all and no increase.  I tried to put a TU3 in front just to see if the buffer would have any effect and it was the same.  You must have been really unlucky to get two that did this.  I know you have moved on but did you contact Jam Pedals just to see if this was normal?

On 16/06/2021 at 08:59, bassbora said:

I just saw this today and since I have Rippley Fall I had to try and check if I had never noticed this.  I went through an active bass, RF, amp.  Fairly high volume and when pedal engaged no drop at all and no increase.  I tried to put a TU3 in front just to see if the buffer would have any effect and it was the same.  You must have been really unlucky to get two that did this.  I know you have moved on but did you contact Jam Pedals just to see if this was normal?

No I just deal with the store. I asked them before they sent the second to check it. Said they did. 

It was unusable. Soon as you kicked it in (either effect) it just killed the bottom end to the point you just got lost. Major volume loss. 

Active basses. Before/after and by its self same result.