Why become a member? ×

Earthquaker Sea Machine

danny-79

Seriously looking for a new chorus and this keeps catching my eye. I’m currently using a MXR bass chorus Deluxe, it’s been my favourite chorus so far. Another case of change for the sake of change but you all know how it goes ! 

Thoughts and opinions on the Sea Machine please (and other Chorus suggestions more than welcome!)

Cheers. Dan

Edited by danny-79

• 2 years later...

So I finally got one and I’m not sure if I like it or not. There are some great useable sounds to be had out of it but not the sound in my head right at this moment, but there is a lot going on with it so will be spending more time with it before it gets saved for later. 80s post punk, goth heavy chorus+reverb+flanger kind of thing is what I’m after......

Can I have some suggestions please :)

My thoughts exactly -  had one and it was incredibly versatile, but just didn’t scratch my chorus itch. I’m using an EHX Small Clone and I love it. Granted, it’s nowhere near as flexible, but it just sounds right to my ears.

• Like 1

I think the x-over/low filter is pretty much essential option for a Bass chorus unless you like the wobbly low end seasick type sound all the time.

I had an EHX Small Clone which was great at doing the Nirvana 'Come as you are'  tone,  not a particularly subtle chorus pedal though and mine developed an issue where it didn't play well with certain pedals (gave a big volume boost for some reason ) and then stopped working, that doesn't seem to be a common complaint though so I think I was unlucky. I miss the tone of the EHX and might get another one one day.

I then had a Boss CEB-3 which was good, more subtle than the EHX, it has more control of the x-over (a 'low filter' knob instead of a switch) and it has the usual good Boss build quality. It's a good pedal, but not particularly exciting.

I then got a Source Audio Gemini which is decent, it can sound very similar to the EHX and Boss but if all you are after is chorus then you can save some £ and get one of them instead of the Gemini and not be missing much as far as chorus goes (they are less tweakable, but their chorus sounds are just as good). The big advantage of the Gemini is that it can can also do Phaser, Flanger, or even just be set for a particular EQ or filter. It doesn't have a chorus x-over/low filter as such but does have a 'low retain' option that can be set in the editor, and it has a clean blend so although I think technically the low end is still having chorus applied it is mixed with the original low end so doesn't sound so wobbly/seasick. I'm not always the biggest Source Audio one series fan (having owned the C4, Spectrum, Aftershock and sold/returned them all for various reasons) but I think this works very well for it's form and function with all the knobs still doing what you expect them to do as you change presets and 6 presets being an alright amount without needing additional midi controllers, I only used the editor for about a week to get things sorted and haven't touched it since. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

@paul_5 thanks. I’ve had one in the past and might just revisit. 

@SumOne Small Clone, I’m thinking I should be looking at getting another. At the moment I’ve got the MXR Chorus Deluxe in my board (and the boss I’ve got as a spare) the cross over is a must for most things with the less is more attitude so that will stay. In short it’s full on 80s cheese chorus that I’m after for lack of better description. I’ll look into the Gemini. 

Cheers both 

I love Earthquaker Devices generally and I've had quite a lot of their stuff, but six knobs for a Chorus pedal? SIX KNOBS???

The pedal I've ended up with actually an 'anti-chorus' - https://reverb.com/uk/p/digitech-luxe

Very rare and hard to find these days, but I just love this thing with fretless bass. It's a simple 2-knob device, almost all of the settings are musical (whatever that means) or at least useable, and it doesn't give you that seasick sound that so many Chorus pedals saddle you with.

7 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I love Earthquaker Devices generally and I've had quite a lot of their stuff, but six knobs for a Chorus pedal? SIX KNOBS???

The pedal I've ended up with actually an 'anti-chorus' - https://reverb.com/uk/p/digitech-luxe

Very rare and hard to find these days, but I just love this thing with fretless bass. It's a simple 2-knob device, almost all of the settings are musical (whatever that means) or at least useable, and it doesn't give you that seasick sound that so many Chorus pedals saddle you with.

I’ll look it up 👍

10 hours ago, danny-79 said:

@SumOne did you have the Bass Clone or the the standard single knob Small Clone ? Mine was the original abc that was a long while back (had overlooked the bass version for some reason)

if so how is  it compared to say the Boss ? 

I had the Bass Clone, it was good - more in your face than the Boss CEB-3.

The Boss is probably better if you want subtle chorus as you don't hear much effect with the settings below 50% and the adjustable low filter means you can also be quite precise about only getting a slight chorus effect on higher notes while leaving the low notes unaffected. I think I preferred the Bass Clone tone though, it's not that different but does a 'bigger' effect - not so good if you want to be subtle though.  

I'd be happy getting either of them again, both were good but for non-subtle 80's cheese the Bass Clone is probably better (and a bit cheaper).

• Like 2

On 20/05/2021 at 09:16, SumOne said:

I had the Bass Clone, it was good - more in your face than the Boss CEB-3.

The Boss is probably better if you want subtle chorus as you don't hear much effect with the settings below 50% and the adjustable low filter means you can also be quite precise about only getting a slight chorus effect on higher notes while leaving the low notes unaffected. I think I preferred the Bass Clone tone though, it's not that different but does a 'bigger' effect - not so good if you want to be subtle though.  

I'd be happy getting either of them again, both were good but for non-subtle 80's cheese the Bass Clone is probably better (and a bit cheaper).

Nice one, thank you 👍

On 19/05/2021 at 03:26, danny-79 said:

So I finally got one and I’m not sure if I like it or not. There are some great useable sounds to be had out of it but not the sound in my head right at this moment, but there is a lot going on with it so will be spending more time with it before it gets saved for later. 80s post punk, goth heavy chorus+reverb+flanger kind of thing is what I’m after......

Can I have some suggestions please :)

I just picked up one of these.. Not sure if (or what) fits 80's post punk goth, but it has a lovely lush chorus and is paired with a sublime (IMO) phaser (two JAM pedals in one). I only picked it up a week ago, but it aint been off since, both home practice and at rehearsal. I also have an MXR and a phase 90. I love this more.. FWIW i use chorus and phaser on low speeds, there is also a vibrato built in to this, so much of this review is wobbly higher speeds.. anyway, this is my 'this weeks' recommendation

• Like 2

@jbu09 ok so this pedal seriously has my attention. Got a couple of questions..

at present I don’t have a phaser on my board but when I did I had it earlier on in the chain, before drive and my chorus pedal is last. How do you place yours?

And I’m see seeing them in two different colours schemes, green version and black version like the one in the video, is there a difference ? (Guitar green, bass black is a rough guess)

cheers 

Edited by danny-79

7 hours ago, danny-79 said:

@jbu09 ok so this pedal seriously has my attention. Got a couple of questions..

at present I don’t have a phaser on my board but when I did I had it earlier on in the chain, before drive and my chorus pedal is last. How do you place yours?

And I’m see seeing them in two different colours schemes, green version and black version like the one in the video, is there a difference ? (Guitar green, bass black is a rough guess)

cheers 

Yeah @danny-79, Green Guitar, Black Bass.. On my main boards (where i got my MXR chorus and phaser) i have them after the drive pedals based on the principle that modulation pedals are placed at the end of the chain. No hard rule here i guess, but i did all the necessary trials in different positions, and i like em best at the end. And because i bought a pedal looper (12 channel switcher from Buzz electronics) i feed the modulation effects into the effects loop (i.e after the pre amp). For what its worth, this didn't make a huge amount of difference, but i did get the feeling the modulations effects seemed to get more air to breath.. (crap explanation i know). Anyway, placement is down to taste, but I think after sounds better. I tried the ripply fall on my small board (different band) also after the drive pedals. In this band i use drive pedals for tone fattening more that heavy drive, but boy the ripply fall sounded sweet. I'll say it one more time, the phaser is subtle (at least at low speeds), more subtle that the MXR phase 90, but it adds that perfect amount of sweetness, and it sits so nice when the chorus part of the pedal is engaged. Anyway, good luck with your search... keep us posted :)

• Like 1

@jbu09 thanks. Thought that was the case with colours. 

But yes I think this is exactly what I’ve been looking for. (I’m terrible at describing things too lol) but a chorus with something. I was messing with my guitar board, pretty basic stuff on that But the combination of chorus plus phaser and it’s getting there 

cheers 

• Like 1

On 19/05/2021 at 10:22, danny-79 said:

@paul_5 thanks. I’ve had one in the past and might just revisit. 

@SumOne Small Clone, I’m thinking I should be looking at getting another. At the moment I’ve got the MXR Chorus Deluxe in my board (and the boss I’ve got as a spare) the cross over is a must for most things with the less is more attitude so that will stay. In short it’s full on 80s cheese chorus that I’m after for lack of better description. I’ll look into the Gemini. 

Cheers both 

If you want full on 80s cheese, you can't go wrong with the Boss Dimension C. Instantly has that metallic, 80's sound - Only downside is there's no onboard EQ/filter. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk4HXOvAaQM

Edited by BadHands
More information
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BadHands said:

If you want full on 80s cheese, you can't go wrong with the Boss Dimension C. Instantly has that metallic, 80's sound - Only downside is there's no onboard EQ/filter. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk4HXOvAaQM

That’s exactly the sound I’m after. Dimension C is something that’s caught my eye but don’t know much about. 

Metallic 80s sound. That’s the words I’m looking for 

Edited by danny-79
  • Like 1

It's based on a rackmount Roland unit which - among other songs - Is thought to be used for the intro guitar on Purple Rain. Apparently it's technically not actually a chorus effect in the way it gets it's sound, but it sounds like it.

Boss released it, stopped making it, and it was going for silly money on the used market. Now they've rereleased it (Above) as part of their made-in-Japan WazaCraft line.

Personally, I just like how there's so little tinkering with it. Push buttons in. Done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jbu09 said:

Nice... Hope it's what you're looking for. Would like to hear your opinion when you've had time to play around with it..

Just been playing with it now and to be honest it’s a bit of a letdown. I don’t know if I’ve got a dodgy unit but at first everything is working as it should and sounds nice but it sucks all the low end out of the signal. Switch it off and there is a huge volume jump back to dry, back on again and huge volume/power drop. 

Have tried a couple of different power supplies, amps, basses but in all honesty I think it’s going back