Why become a member? ×

Went to Bass Direct this morning.

bubinga5

If i was nearer i would be in more often and probably a good thing i'm 290 miles away.

I did visit few yrs back looking for a 5 stringer and ended up with my Dingwall NG2 which is a great bass to have in the arsenal.

I found the guys very helpful in the shop. No issues at all. I left feeling happy and content and having just driven 290 miles that wasn't an easy thing to achieve especially with the prospect of driving back home in same day. 

Dave 

On 05/03/2019 at 22:31, radiophonic said:

Cool story. Every time I deal with them, I swear it will be my last. Maybe I just look like a total mug, because they always treat me like one. If Mark (mentioned above) is the boss, he was actually fine on my last visit - although not very effective. The blond guy and the other younger guy?  He should just sack them both. They've lost at least a grand in sales from me since my last visit. 20 minutes from my desk and I'd rather drive 100 miles the other direction. I probably didn't spend enough to make it worth their while - I assume that's why I stood with a credit card in my hand for 20 minutes waiting for them to take my money in an empty shop. A bunch of elitist snobs. I actually resent having bought gear from them.

Funny how different people have different experiences. I bought a bass off them last week and even once they'd shipped it they were happy to entertain my questions over the phone and just have a general chat about boutique basses. 

If anyone from Bass Direct is reading, the Pedulla is fantastic. What an instrument. 

Bass Direct are nothing if divisive. But I've never really had any complaints when dealing with them. The Ibanez SR3006 they shipped me a couple of years ago had very dead strings on it, which from a shop seems a bit of a blow. You'd expect that they could put fresh strings on and just charge a little more to the owner for the service, but then I suppose fresh strings mean nowt in the world of internet sales and it didn't stop me buying the bass - indeed, I usually wear out 'shop strings' pretty fast and get my own preferred sets on and the price was very reasonable to start with. I do wish they'd send an invoice with strings, though. It just feels 'right' to get a paper invoice with an internet order. I also 'bought' an EBS Billy Sheehan Overdrive pedal from them when I saw it on their used gear page. I got an email from Marcus the next day who immediately processed a refund, so no great loss - the disappointment of missing out on the pedal prompted me to do some proper research and I realised that the Deluxe version was a considerable uprgade for not much cash, so I bought one of those brand new instead.

On the other hand, they sold my Pedulla Pentabuzz at some point in the past and I happened to stumble across the pictures of it on google images, which were still hosted by their website and searchable long after they had deleted the link to the advert from their website. So I was able to snatch those photos and later did a bit of colour correction to make up for the very dark photographs. I still have the originals on my phone - I can tell you that the metadata confirms they were taken with a Nikon camera! They also have an absolutely amazing selection of gear and a very healthy used gear page. They can easily shift used basses, which looks harder than ever judging by how slow the marketplace has been over the past year. Long may they continue to serve us. 

I’ve been up there a few times and they need more space, IMO.  I think they suffer from cabin fever as do us lot when we want to spend a bit more time than is “alotted” to try out a 3k bass, perhaps.

I’ve literally been in a queue to plug something in up there and then it’s not as personal as you might like.

Divise is a good description too, as I bought a Sandberg from them but they tried to persuade me to step up even higher, to the Xotic basses.  In hindsight, I wish I had.  

On the flip side of that, I always wanted a Warwick and actually went there first to play a few secondhand ones.  I was told “I didn’t want a Warwick and that Zender actually played a P bass on recordings.”

I bought a SS1, from Beedster, in the end & it’s one of my favourite basses.

Its like a jungle in Bass Direct.  They should send David Attenborough up there to study human dynamics.

Edited by Chewie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chewie said:

I’ve been up there a few times and they need more space, IMO.  I think they suffer from cabin fever as do us lot when we want to spend a bit more time than is “alotted” to try out a 3k bass, perhaps.

I’ve literally been in a queue to plug something in up there and then it’s not as personal as you might like.

Divise is a good description too, as I bought a Sandberg from them but they tried to persuade me to step up even higher, to the Xotic basses.  In hindsight, I wish I had.  

On the flip side of that, I always wanted a Warwick and actually went there first to play a few secondhand ones.  I was told “I didn’t want a Warwick and that Zender actually played a P bass on recordings.”

I bought a SS1, from Beedster, in the end & it’s one of my favourite basses.

Its like a jungle in Bass Direct.  They should send David Attenborough up there to study human dynamics.

Difficult isn’t it, do we simply want sales people to give us what we think we want? Or, in the above example (assuming it’s accurate), someone with some knowledge to steer us in the direction we actually want to be in, Ie “I love Zender’s recorded tone, sell me a Warwick”, “oh he played a Precision in the studio”.......

Si

4 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Difficult isn’t it, do we simply want sales people to give us what we think we want? Or, in the above example (assuming it’s accurate), someone with some knowledge to steer us in the direction we actually want to be in, Ie “I love Zender’s recorded tone, sell me a Warwick”, “oh he played a Precision in the studio”.......

Si

He played a Precision but there was so much studio processing it didn’t really matter what he was playing...

I know.....

If I had a magic wand, I’d love to put Bass Direct in a new premises with sound booths and plenty of room & see how they did compared to a “control” Bass Direct, in that dungeon they’re in now.

33 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

He played a Precision but there was so much studio processing it didn’t really matter what he was playing...

Arguably that's true of any studio situation......and medium/large gig.

Si

Edited by Sibob

First off, my profile pic looks exactly like me, obviously.

Secondly, you got out off bassdirect having spent less than a grand? What foul majick is this!! How?

I am so glad I live a 2 and a half hour drive away!

I remember it when it was literally a shed in a field, it's luxurious nowadays 😁

Don't know about the two younguns but Mark has always been a top chap to me and has some of the nicest kit under one roof anywhere...

• Like 2

On 07/03/2019 at 16:04, Sibob said:

Si

My pet hate was salesmen talking nonsense to sell what they happened to have in stock. I have always trusted Mark since he advised me to buy a cab that he didn't have from someone else because he reckoned (quite correctly) that it was just what I needed. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Actually I think Mark is better at sales than almost anyone else I have met. Unfortunately for my wallet ;)

Firstly, he knows his gear, secondly he is very very adept at 'reading' his customer (well me anyway) and having a really good idea of what might float their boat, and lastly, and frankly most crucially, he just lets you faff about for an hour with a few choice items until you're hopelessly in lust for one of the precious pieces of GASeous lovelies....

Ahem, sorry, where was I?

Oh yeah, by that point I'm entirely undone, as is my wallet....

Its pitiful really :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I haven't been to BD for a few years now. I bought a lot of stuff from Mark in the early days, when he was selling from his band's rehearsal room on the farm. Mark has chosen a tough road by only selling top quality bass gear. I have nothing but positive experiences from BD and I hope he survives the trade "nuclear winter" that might be on the horizon.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my Dingwall from BD. The day I went in, it was only the two younger guys in the shop, and I have to say, they were a pleasure to deal with. Plugged me in, made sure I was aware of the pickup settings and controls and left me to it, occasionally popping a head around the door to check if I had any questions. I’ve also dealt with Marcus via email regarding a trade in, and placed online orders with Mark, always been happy with the service I’ve received 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 1

Wow mate . I can’t really moan about. 220 mile round trip . To make that kind of journey you’d really need to know it was going to be worth it . When I went , I must admit to being underwhelmed at actually being there . But if you know what you want , it’s worth the trip . Out of interest , what do you have in Scotland ? I know Guitar guitar have a couple of places up there . Is there much else ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilray said:

Out of interest , what do you have in Scotland ? I know Guitar guitar have a couple of places up there . Is there much else ?

Most of the music shops up here have just the usual range of Fender, Ibanez, Musicman which don't really float my boat as they say. It does seem that the nearest place to me that has a range of basses is Bass Direct. I've checked out the websites for Guitar Guitar and the place in Manchester etc but very little jumps out at me 😥

Theres a few good luthiers up here eg ACG but its still a limited selection. I guess the 2 main places for me are the Gallery and Bass Direct, long may they both continue. Being up here I have had to buy most of my basses over the last 18 years over the internet without playing them first. A number have come from here on Basschat and I've always had good dealings with everyone. What a great place this is 👍

On the other side of things if I did live nearer a good bass shop I would be skint and divorced I think 😁