Why become a member? ×

Covers that 'made' the Original

Al Krow

Kingston town by UB40... I prefer the original by Lord Creator, but it was relatively unknown... There's a heart-warming story about the effect that UB40 had on him...

"In 1989, the British group UB40 recorded Kingston Town. There is a story that after this, Eccles saw Creator, who had become homeless and destitute, on a Kingston street. When Eccles called out to him, Creator fled thinking Eccles had come to collect $30 he owed him. Eccles chased him down and told him UB40 had recorded Kingston Town and that Creator had earned substantial royalties. With the money he earned in royalties, Creator revitalized his life and career. He appeared in oldies shows in Jamaica, and even toured Japan." https://www.westburymusic.net/ArtistDetails?Aid=WBM_AR_274

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

'Don't Leave Me This Way' was originally released as an album track in 1975 by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (Teddy Pendergrass on lead vocals). Thelma Houston had a massive hit with it in 1976/77. Then the Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes version was released as a single later in 1977 (another big hit).

I'm really not sure what The Communards version was all about, but feel, groove and vocal quality were not on the arrangement agenda that day. Well, compared to the two above versions (IMO, of course).

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1