Why become a member? ×

Covers that 'made' the Original

Al Krow

2 hours ago, DaveFry said:

Sept 69 Abbey Road was released . A month later George Benson and friends ( including Ron Carter and Jerry Jemmott , Herbie Hancock , Freddie Hubbard ) recorded " The Other Side Of Abbey Road "  an album of covers .

I had to read that carefully as on first skin reading I read it as Ron Jeremy!!

• Haha 2

One for the Depeche Mode fans - this band released a cover of the entire "A Broken Frame" album and it's rather good, especially the cover of "My Secret Garden" which is arguably better than the original.

Edited by darkandrew

12 hours ago, darkandrew said:

One for the Depeche Mode fans - this band released a cover of the entire "A Broken Frame" album and it's rather good, especially the cover of "My Secret Garden" which is arguably better than the original.

There are whole swathes of goth and industrial groups who basically exist on depeche mode covers. Personally I always loved 

but it would hard to say that in the context of this thread that any of them really were more known than the depeche mode originals.

13 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There are whole swathes of goth and industrial groups who basically exist on depeche mode covers. Personally I always loved 

but it would hard to say that in the context of this thread that any of them really were more known than the depeche mode originals.

I'm particularly glad that no one's mentioned the Flying Pickets' version of "Only You" that made it to No.1 - one place higher than Yazoo's original.

Edited by darkandrew

31 minutes ago, darkandrew said:

I'm particularly glad that no one's mentioned the Flying Pickets' version of "Only You" that made it to No.1 - one place higher than Yahoo's original.

Well now you have, I'll have to fess I loved the Pickets' acapella version, as clearly did a lot of other folk given it made it to #1.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Well now you have, I'll have to fess I loved the Pickets' acapella version, as clearly did a lot of other folk given it made it to #1.

A great song, treated with respect by them.

Deserved it's no.1 spot imo

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Originally recorded by bread in 1972 and Ken boothe covered it in 74 , one of my favourite tunes , the Bassline is a little tricky too 🙂

Yes, frequently misinterpreted as about a boy-girl thing but in fact David Gates wrote it about his late father.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2019 at 18:23, TheGreek said:

I'm not the biggest fan of The Clash but their versions of "Police & Thieves" and "Bank robber" are IMO far better than the earlier versions.

Their version of I Fought The Law was pretty decent too.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2019 at 17:40, Shaggy said:

Fields of gold - Eva Cassidy

Like most people, I was sorry to hear of the death of Eva Cassidy but her cover of Fields of Gold absolutely murders a lovely song.  Her singing style reminded me of Joan Sutherland.  More vocal gymnastics than singing.  And about as interesting to listen to as gymnastics!

But as the OP asked a question about covers, try Tulsa Time by Eric Clapton.  The original by Don Williams is a fine rendition of his song but I think that Clapton's take on it is better.  Not much in it to be honest.

On 09/03/2019 at 17:28, Rocker said:

Like most people, I was sorry to hear of the death of Eva Cassidy but her cover of Fields of Gold absolutely murders a lovely song.  Her singing style reminded me of Joan Sutherland.  More vocal gymnastics than singing.  And about as interesting to listen to as gymnastics!

But as the OP asked a question about covers, try Tulsa Time by Eric Clapton.  The original by Don Williams is a fine rendition of his song but I think that Clapton's take on it is better.  Not much in it to be honest.

We can agree to disagree about Eva's version - IMO there's a hauntingly beautiful quality to her vocals which appeals to a swathe of listeners. 

But what is beyond dispute is that, unlike a number of covers of Bob Dylan tracks (e.g. All along the Watchtower - Hendrix, Someone like you - Adele), there's no way that Eva's version could be said to have 'made the original'. Sting did that fine all by himself.

Edited by Al Krow

On 03/03/2019 at 19:17, TrevorR said:

I never ever realised that I Monster’s sublime Daydream In Blue was a cover. Here’s the original which shows how much better the cover is!

Bluddy well love IMonster's cover which is x 1000 better than the original

Walk on by by The Stranglers. Give me this any day over the Warwick version

I'm Free by The Soup Dragons. Way way better than the Stones original IMO

+ another for the Banshees take on Prudence. And another Beatles tune  done much better by another band... The Tubes live version Of I Saw Her Standing There

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

Dare I add to this list Kiss by The Art Of Noise/Tom Jones?  I'll admit Prince was never on my radar (even in death, this remains so), so maybe it was well known beforehand, dunno.  Oh, and my mate Keith played guitar on it (and in a chasing the money exercise, Diamond Lights by Waddle and Hoddle, as well).

• Like 2