Why become a member? ×

Covers that 'made' the Original

Al Krow

On 02/03/2019 at 16:05, skankdelvar said:

Because The Night 

That's surely like saying Nothing Compares 2 U or All the Young Dudes. Springsteen wrote it but it was never a single for him, like Prince wrote Nothing Compares 2 U and Bowie wrote All the Young Dudes. Because the Night by Patti Smith wasn't a cover, it was a recording of a song written by Springsteen.

23 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Any reasonable man would concur with Mr Hackenbacker's position.

I am evidently unreasonable and also consider Prince to be vastly overrated.

House of the Rising Sun has already been mentioned, not sure if Hey Joe has yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tauzero said:

House of the Rising Sun has already been mentioned, not sure if Hey Joe has yet.

House of the Rising Sun was an old standard. Hey Joe was a 62 song by Billy Roberts but the famous arrangement was by Tim Rose of the Thorns.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Astonishing that no one has mentioned the enormous boost that Sid Vicious gave to a little-known dirge by someone called Frank Sinatra ...

Is that the one which he did in his own inimitable manner?

I'm not the biggest fan of The Clash but their versions of "Police & Thieves" and "Bank robber" are IMO far better than the earlier versions.

Nobody seems to have suggested whether the UB40 versions of so many Reggae classics were an improvement or not.

Edited by TheGreek

On 03/03/2019 at 08:20, chris_b said:

Delta Lady, Darling Be Home Soon, The Letter. . . . . Joe Cocker

Leon Russell wrote some crackers (Delta Lady, This Masquerade, Hummingbird, Song For You etc) that did well for other people. I personally prefer his own versions although I understand how people would like the covers. Conversely, I struggle to listen to Bob Dylan but love so many of his songs that others have covered.

36 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Skinedd Ska ennit........to each their own..........

😎

Though I like the Junior Murvin version I think The Clash's version (which was how most would have first encountered the song) has more "blood an guts".

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Astonishing that no one has mentioned the enormous boost that Sid Vicious gave to a little-known dirge by someone called Frank Sinatra ...

The first time i ever heard Road Runner and What you gonna do about it were Pistol versions. I had no idea they hadn’t written them at the time. 

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Nobody seems to have suggested whether the UB40 versions of so many Reggae classics were an improvement or not.

I'll bite. The UB40 versions of so many Reggae classics were not an improvement. But UB40 brought the original versions to the notice of a wider public so there's that to be thankful for.

Edited by skankdelvar

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

I'll bite. The UB40 versions of so many Reggae classics were not an improvement. But UB40 brought the original versions to the notice of a wider public so there's that to be thankful for.

Like the Val Doonicans of reggae... 😁

• Haha 2

I'd say a lot of the late 70s ska covers 'made' the originals, maybe not better but brought the original Jamaican Ska to a wider UK audience. A Message to you Rudi, Monkey Man, Pressure Drop, Police and Theives, Madness (the song) etc. 

While mentioning Clash covers, their cover was the first time I'd heard Brand New Cadillac. 

And were The Jam the greatest cover band ever? David Watts, Heatwave, In The Midnight Hour, So Sad About Us, Move On Up, Taxman (🤣 ) the list goes on🤔😁

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 00:58, Lozz196 said:

Dear Prudence by Siouxsie & The Banshees was a great cover, far better than The Beatles version imo.

And who can forget Strawberry Fields by Candy Flip? Most people, probably.

Edited by darkandrew
  • Haha 2