Why become a member? ×

Best Amp Sims on pedals

JohnDaBass

So, there appears to be many comments on the various threads here regarding the merits of Amp Sims on people's favourite pedals. Many Basschatters have enthused on the authenticity and quality of Amp Sims on the Helix Stomp over the Zoom B3n for example so I thought it would be helpful to bring together the opinions of  users to build a form of "League Table of Amp Sims". I suppose there are many, like me, who have enjoyed the offerings of

1. Line 6 Bass POD,  Bass POD Floor
  2. and analogue Sims such Tech21 VT Bass DI and VT Bass Deluxe,
  3. not forgetting BassBDI21 and the early Zoom pedals of the past.

So how much has the authenticity of our Amp Sims improved with each new innovation that is launched onto the market? Is it really possible for someone in the audience to differentiate between the real thing and a software simulation? Is the difference between each new innovation worth our hard earned cash?

@Al Krow, @Osiris, @Gottastopbuyinggear, @lemmywinks, @PaulWarning, @mcnach, @CameronJ, @jrixn1, @Bigwan, @Jus Lukin@Opticaleye

As I have owned or still own all the pedals/amp sims you mention above (im currently using an HX Stomp) I feel fairly qualified to answer this. 

My feeling is that the quality of the Modeling has improved not so as the audience might notice the difference, but that the player feels the difference. I really liked (and still use on occasion) the Bass POD XT, but the step up to the HD500x felt more natural to play. The Helix Modeling moves things on again in giving the player the best experience and reaction to the amp sims. I’d also add that application is a factor when trying to measure the quality of amp sims.