Why become a member? ×

March Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

March's challenge is go!

Here's the inspiration chosen by last month's winner, Bleat...

48d92324c29639d89fa4d792e3942b4b.jpg

Usual rules apply:

• No copyright theft.
  • Try not to be a potty mouth.
  • Keep it under 5 minutes and no recycling of old efforts.
  • Most pipe-based instruments are strictly prohibited*

Deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 24th March.

*If you have to ask, you're already on dodgy ground.

• Skol303 pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

There doesn't seem to be much excitement thus far , so,   er,   er,       don't hold your breath , this one will probably put you to sleep, but nevertheless I am working toward a new style , less is more , and then I can't stop using less less and end up with more more so I guess you will all be the judge on that one . enjoy zzzzzz

Here is my contribution to the March 2019 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Bleat.
A long flight, all sorts of stuff goes around in one's head; this is but part of it (thankfully..!)
All Vst's or free-to-use samples, all programmed by myself. Drums: Superior Drums 2. Guitars, baritone sax: Vst instruments. Sweet voices: Blue. The voyageur and BV's: samples. A fair amount of treatment required, to (try to...) get the samples to sing in the key required, at the right speed, plus a hefty dose of various reverbs, delays, EQ and compression, on individual tracks and Master buses. Yes, I know, 'Less is more', but in this case, it was 'More is required'. Sorry.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Hi guys, 

I finally managed to get a couple of evenings free to record something. 

The theme of the song is the 'looking' the window and seeing the breadth of possibilities to improve life if you just make that step. Unfortunately my inability to sing or write lyrics kinda take away abit from that, but we can only use what we've got lol. 

https://soundcloud.com/rikki-boyes/through-the-window

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rikki1984 said:

...I finally managed to get a couple of evenings free to record something. ...

A touch modest with that 'something'; it's got a nice 'Cranberries meet Mark Knopfler' feel to it. Good guitar work. OK, the singing voice is what it is, but Dylan didn't do badly with his, and as for Neil Young...
Well done; a worthy entry. :i-m_so_happy:

59 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

A touch modest with that 'something'; it's got a nice 'Cranberries meet Mark Knopfler' feel to it. Good guitar work. OK, the singing voice is what it is, but Dylan didn't do badly with his, and as for Neil Young...
Well done; a worthy entry. :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks, I really appreciate your comment. 🙂

If I get an hour tonight I may give the verses another shot. The chorus is as good as it'll get, I'm afraid. 😂

Studio now set up (yay!) and also taken delivery of a second-hand Focusrite Solo interface, so I can work on little ditties like this from my sofa amongst family mayhem:

Hastily slung together (literally <1 hour) and very coarsely mixed, but to hell with it... just nice to be back in the swing of things! 🙂

Edited by Skol303