Why become a member? ×

Buzzing / earth problems?

casapete

So we played a gig in a large theatre last night, and at the soundcheck a few of us had problems with buzzes and interference. We occasionally experience this, with most of the band using wireless in ears etc, but can usually sort it to an acceptable level. Often just getting the theatre to disable the hearing aid loop does the trick!

My Precision Lyte (PJ pickups/active circuitry) had what appeared to be an earthing problem causing a buzz - when I touched any of the metal components the noise all but disappeared. Had this once or twice before, and I could remedy it by just using the front (P) pickup. To prevent this from being a problem again , I had a Fender 'Noiseless' stacked J pickup fitted and always been great since . Last night though I could only make the buzz disappear by using this J pickup on it's own - any blending in of the P pickup resulted in the buzz creeping back in which is the first time I've experienced this - in the past it was the P pickup that eliminated the hum.

Am not overly worried as have had ages using the bass without any problems, just wondered if it was just one of those odd things connected only with the venue or something I need to address? As I've mentioned, the bass is usually really quiet since replacing the previously slightly noisy stock J pickup.

Any thoughts welcome, cheers.

1 minute ago, ikay said:

First thing I'd do is check it again at home or in the rehearsal room to see if the buzz is still there.

I've tried it at home, no buzz. I guess it's just one venue with a strange electrical supply, it was just strange how I couldn't rectify the buzz by using the P-bass pickup on it's own, which is what sorted it in the past.

I think the clue is in what you say at the beginning - that a few of you had problems.

I would say almost certainly it's an issue with the venue.  Flourescent lights, dimmer switches and circuits, some pub pumping systems...there are some places that are almost impossible to dehum.

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I think the clue is in what you say at the beginning - that a few of you had problems.

I would say almost certainly it's an issue with the venue.  Flourescent lights, dimmer switches and circuits, some pub pumping systems...there are some places that are almost impossible to dehum.

I'm with Andy on this. There is a club that we play regularly where myself and keyboard player have the same problem.

We know what to expect now and just get on with it.

12 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

7 hours ago, BassBunny said:

I'm with Andy on this. There is a club that we play regularly where myself and keyboard player have the same problem.

We know what to expect now and just get on with it.

Think you're right guys, just put it down to one of those things I think. Just thought it bizarre that the P-bass pickup soloed didn't remedy it.

Thanks to all for your comments. 👍