Why become a member? ×

Packing - Got some strings yesterday..

Woodinblack

Andertons definitely seem to err on the side of caution when it comes to packing.

My Helix Stomp, which comes in box about the size of a shoe box, was shipped by Andertons inside another box which can't have been much under a cubic meter in volume packed in with what must have been a couple of trees worth of scrunched up paper.

They did the same thing with the Boss RC30 I ordered a while back.

It is a bit baffling, but ,when it comes to gear , I reckon absurd levels of over packaging are preferable to the alternative.

I recently bought a set of Thomastik flats from BAX that were packed in a box as big as my walking boots came in, packed out with enough of those air filled plastic strip thingies to use as a life belt.

I suppose it was a set of 5.

• Like 1

In a lot of cases they want to use standard sized boxes so that the route planning software can load the van more efficiently. That means you get even small items packed in a much bigger box as that will be the smallest "unit" that the software can handle.

Anderson's may well be given a discount for packing everything into standard boxes.

Or they might just be incredibly cautious in order to avoid too many returns.

Or both....

• Like 1

I was once sent a rack preamp, in a cardboard box much bigger, with absolutely nothing else inside to prevent it from falling about.  Dead valve on arrival, (bouncing around loose) but otherwise it survived 😳.  Worst Bass Centre service ever, so I’ll never complain about over-packing..

I complete contrast, I usually order a couple of sets of DR black beauties from Stringthis in the USA. They usually come in a plain white envelope with no padding whatsoever.  Never had cause to complain though. 

Many years ago, I worked for a well known computer company. A business customer needed 16 CMOS batteries - each about the size of a 10p coin. For whatever reason, our service providers decided to ship each one in a box around the size of a shoe-box! The customer certainly wasn’t happy!

Well, still the most ridiculous was working in 1997 for a company using sun workstations. We bought the Y2K packs from sun for 4 workstations. They came couriered from America and each was in a box that was just a bit bigger than an A4 piece of paper and about 15cm high. The reason for this is that on opening, each box contained an A4 piece of paper with an FTP address where we could download the pack and a licence number. 

I assume the fact they were about £700 each meant they feel they needed to make the effort!

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1