Why become a member? ×

Advice needed. Small cab for a small boot

Skinnyman

I’m clearing out a load of gear and am allowing myself one small piece of GAS. I recently bought a Mazda MX5 (actually, it’s a Fiat 124 spider but that’s still an MX5 in a fancy suit) and could do with a small cab that will fit into the boot to go to rehearsals.

I have a couple of Berg CN112s but one of them is just too big to go in. As always with these things, the opening is an odd shape but it’s basically about 12” going up to 14” deep and about 15” back to front.

The Barefaced One10 is an obvious contender - possibly two might fit in - and I think a Super Midget would fit.

I would only use this for rehearsals - but would still need to hit a decent volume to cope with a manic drummer.

I’m leaning towards the One10 but is there anything else I should consider?

i use a Genz Shuttle 6.2 and, usually, a Jazz with flats.

Edited by Skinnyman

I was very impressed when I heard a Super Midget in action at the SE Bass Bash - amazing amount/size/depth of sound that little cab was putting out. Would be where my cash would go in similar circumstances (though very unlikely as although I have no trouble getting into sports cars, getting out is a different story).

• Haha 1

I have a pair of one10s and a Super Midget.  If it's volume you need then the Super Midget is very loud.  The tone is good and you can EQ more bass in if you like and it takes it easily.  The tweeter is decent too and fully adjustable.

I use a single one10 in rehearsals and small pub gigs and it copes well.  I imagine you'd need a pair though if you have a "manic" drummer.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I have a pair of one10s and a Super Midget.  If it's volume you need then the Super Midget is very loud.  The tone is good and you can EQ more bass in if you like and it takes it easily.  The tweeter is decent too and fully adjustable.

I use a single one10 in rehearsals and small pub gigs and it copes well.  I imagine you'd need a pair though if you have a "manic" drummer.

Frank.

How would you describe the tone of the One10 compared to the SM?

And do a pair sound different? Or just louder?

I find it difficult to express cab sounds in words, but here goes...

The one10 is deeper and thicker sounding.  Apparently they break up in a pleasant way when pushed, although I have never really had to push mine that much.

The Super Midget is cleaner, crisper, and more open sounding and much louder than a single one10.

A pair of one10s makes the sound noticeably better than a single cab and a bit louder too.  Two are definately better than one even though one is still very, very good.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I find it difficult to express cab sounds in words, but here goes...

The one10 is deeper and thicker sounding.  Apparently they break up in a pleasant way when pushed, although I have never really had to push mine that much.

The Super Midget is cleaner, crisper, and more open sounding and much louder than a single one10.

A pair of one10s makes the sound noticeably better than a single cab and a bit louder too.  Two are definately better than one even though one is still very, very good.

Frank.

Thanks Frank, that helps. How does the sound of two One10s compare to the Midget volume wise? About the same or is the SM still louder?

4 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Thanks Frank, that helps. How does the sound of two One10s compare to the Midget volume wise? About the same or is the SM still louder?

I don't think there's much in it.  A pair of one10s is loud enough for my pub gigs as is the Super Midget. (a single one10 is enough for smaller pubs and rehearsals)  The Super Midget has more "bite".

I'm happy gigging a pair of one10s or a single Super Midget.  They do sound different but both get the job done.  One10s for the blues band, Super Midget for the covers band.  In all honesty, either would do both.

Alex at Barefaced has more knowledge about his cabs than me (obviously :) ).  I'm always happy to try to help but a call to him might be well worth it.

Frank

• Thanks 1

Thanks Frank, that's really useful. I will talk to Alex but i wanted to get some objective, real world opinions as well.

It seems like either will do the job quite nicely so getting feedback from someone who's actually used both cabs is really valuable.

Thanks again!

Dave

6 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

Thanks Frank, that's really useful. I will talk to Alex but i wanted to get some objective, real world opinions as well.

It seems like either will do the job quite nicely so getting feedback from someone who's actually used both cabs is really valuable.

Thanks again!

Dave

A quick summary would be if you like clean and uncoloured, go with the Super Midget.  If you prefer a thicker, more coloured sound then it's the one10s.

I can easily live with and happily gig either.  (Which might be totally unhelpful to you. 😕)

Frank.

• Thanks 1

I bought a PJB C4 cab a few years ago, initially for home use, and have since used it for rehearsals, then small gigs, then larger gigs and have been more  and more impressed with it’s capability.

A very well made cab, easily portable,  tiny footprint, excellent sound dispersal. Have used it usually with 5 string basses, various amp heads, they all sound good, very big sound for such a small cab. I would have thought that you could do a lot worse than trying one for yourself. I have been considering getting another one for a small but powerful rig.

Edited by foxy1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, foxy1 said:

I bought a PJB C4 cab a few years ago, initially for home use, and have since used it for rehearsals, then small gigs, then larger gigs and have been more  and more impressed with it’s capability.

A very well made cab, easily portable,  tiny footprint, excellent sound dispersal. Have used it usually with 5 string basses, various amp heads, they all sound good, very big sound for such a small cab. I would have thought that you could do a lot worse than trying one for yourself. I have been considering getting another one for a small but powerful rig.

I bought one for that purpose, too and ended up getting two more and selling my old heavy cabs. Go for it. They sound wonderful in multiples. You'll need juicy amplification, though. They take a bit of driving.

• Like 1

I’ve used mine with Aguila 350, RH750, Trace Elliot smx250, even an Ashdown Little Giant 1000! All sound good. I have often toyed with the idea of using the Ashdown’s separate 500 watt outputs with two of these cabs, as it sounds so good just using the one cab. One day perhaps..........

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I bought one for that purpose, too and ended up getting two more and selling my old heavy cabs. Go for it. They sound wonderful in multiples. You'll need juicy amplification, though. They take a bit of driving.

Likewise . I have 2 of the C4's and they're not even the C4 lites,  and can carry 1 in each hand.  Driven by a 9.2 shuttlemax.  No probs  :)

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

I've just pulled the trigger on a One10. I thought long and hard about the PJB extension cab but I've already had one and, light as it is, it's still twice the weight of the One10.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Really useful 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinnyman said:

I've just pulled the trigger on a One10. I thought long and hard about the PJB extension cab but I've already had one and, light as it is, it's still twice the weight of the One10.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Really useful 😁

I hope you like it.  I'd be very surprised if you don't.  The low end is really surprising for its size and the volume is, as I said above, enough for my rehearsals and small pub gigs.  Great tones too.  They are excellent little cabs.

Frank.

• Thanks 1

I had an MX-5 back in the day (a 1998 NB model). As I remember, the boot was only fit for hold crisp packets. It wasn't very good. I had a Jaguar XJ that was much the same, it has a massive boot that was very low and shallow (X308 shape). On the other hand, I had an MR2 Turbo that had an amazing boot, right behind the engine bay. It was deeper than it was wide and could have probably taken a couple of PJB items. 

In short, buy a car with a bigger boot for load lugging!

• Like 1

You're not THAT far away from Gateshead, a man on a local Facebook group is selling two of the GSS cabinets, and they're absolutely top shelf. Both for £295. I can do introductions if you'd want.

Edit - Hah! I read the thread to make sure you hadn't bought anything yet, then posted, then saw that you in fact had bought something.

Edited by Jack
  • Thanks 1