Why become a member? ×

DIY 1x15 (yes another) - advice appreciated

d-basser

That first try is great isn't it. There's a leap of faith every time you start a project so when you have a working cab it just feels great. Well done.

I wouldn't expect it to be boomy, you have a really good motor in that speaker and that will control the cone movement well in that cab. The panels are well braced and it looks like you've built it with care. You've more or less ended up with a Gen1 Barefaced for not a huge amount of money. Why wouldn't it sound good?

• Like 1

Cheers Phil. 

I knew it shouldn't sound boomy or inarticulate but my experience with decent 1x15 cabs is limited so I still surprised myself with the clarity it's got. As you say it is very nearly a Gen 1 Compact, or probably closer to the lovechild of a Compact and a Greenboy Bassic so all signs pointed to it sounding good.

Wasn't a huge amount of money, though the CNC cutting wasn't cheap. If it wasn't for the fact I got the speaker itself cheap then this would have cost nearly as much as a 'shop bought' cab. Of course, money saving was never the objective 😂

Edited by d-basser

25 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

It can't be money saving as the costs always seem to equal or exceed the cost of a commercial offering. However that feeling it gives you is worth every penny.

Exactly, it's almost as if these commercial cabs are built with the savings inherent with the economy of scale 🤔😂

100% worth it though

23 hours ago, d-basser said:

Cheers Phil. 

I knew it shouldn't sound boomy or inarticulate but my experience with decent 1x15 cabs is limited so I still surprised myself with the clarity it's got.

Back in the day when I had an epifani 3x10 I A/Bed it with my g2 compact and could barely tell them apart (with epi horn turned fully off obv). Your cab should handily cope with most single cab situations unless a horn was needed.

Edited by bassman7755
  • Like 1

Ran the full stack at volume at practice for the first time yesterday and it was great. Loud band with 3 guitarists and a drummer who's an absolute machine so strong clear bass is important. Have regularly struggled with 8x10 or 4x10+1x15 stacks in the studio but this setup was perfect. Also took drive, fuzz and modulation effects without losing clarity.

One of the guitarists complemented me on how he'd never heard the bass be that loud and full without being boomy or indistinct. The fact he even noticed what I was doing when he was trying his new Sunn model T means it must have been good.

I love a happy ending :)

The test of any cab is how it sounds with a band. It's a shame a new Kappalite is so expensive of I'd be recommending more people to have a go building your design. I've built a similar 15 with a Deltalite that I picked up cheaply many years ago but again financially it's not good value in the UK so I haven't published that design. That doesn't matter to you of course, you've built a fine cab which will last for years and always give you the satisfaction of having worked from scratch and made something great. And you've shared it with all of us.

Well done

Cheers Phil. When I get time I will chuck the design files in here on the off chance someone wants to have a go or wants to use it to inspire their first build. Who knows, maybe someone else will be luck and find a driver on ebay like I did

Edited by d-basser
  • Like 1