Why become a member? ×

Sire V10 - new top spec model on the way?

Wilco

On 09/03/2019 at 15:10, uk_lefty said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about. They aren't discontinuing the V3 and V7 for it and will probably only make a small number of V10s. If you don't think it's good value, don't buy one. I have had a Vintage V7 as my main gigging bass for a while and the bridge and tuners have held up fine. I admit they could be better but I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade.

People are discussing it, that's what places like this are for.

• Like 3

Apologies I wasn't saying don't discuss it, thats not what I meant! Clumsy wording. Suppose what I should have said was if enough people don't think it's good value they won't buy it and then the line may change or end. I guess that it might not last very long, of it didn't have the support from those of us who buy, and discuss (!!), Basses.

On 7 March 2019 at 11:14, Mike2tone said:

I think what we need to consider, is that the V10 will be the most affordable bass for the specs you get. You will be looking at around £600 plus on top of the price of the V10, to find a bass with a roasted neck and a flamed maple top, which is actually a cap and not a veneer. 

Not so - the Sterling by Musicman Ray 34 and 35 can be had with roasted maple necks, figured tops and HH pick ups with single coil settings. 

As for the Sire basses, I recently saw the 360 Band (Hamish Stewart, Mollie Duncan and Steve Ferrone of AWB plus sessions players) and Steve Pearce played a Sire (V7 MM I think) all night and it sounded excellent - well almost all night as Hamish Stewart played a Fender Mustang on one song. Good recommendation for these basses - he's a top sessions bassist. 

The main point of contention for me is that I would rather see any R&D go towards improving the weak links to make the V series even more of a killer proposition than they already are. Smaller bridge saddles, moving the through body holes back a touch and using more durable intonation screws would fix the bridge issues for example. 

Btw Harley Benton are doing roasted maple necks and stainless steel frets on sub £350 guitars which is crazy.

18 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Not so - the Sterling by Musicman Ray 34 and 35 can be had with roasted maple necks, figured tops and HH pick ups with single coil settings. 

As for the Sire basses, I recently saw the 360 Band (Hamish Stewart, Mollie Duncan and Steve Ferrone of AWB plus sessions players) and Steve Pearce played a Sire (V7 MM I think) all night and it sounded excellent - well almost all night as Hamish Stewart played a Fender Mustang on one song. Good recommendation for these basses - he's a top sessions bassist. 

You are correct Sir, I forgot the new Rays have been announced and should be landing at around £850 to £1100  depending on the model you are looking for.  Great basses for the money!

• 5 months later...

Maybe it's best to try this bass before making pre-judgements on the pricepoint and value as I see it. Even though it may not be my particular favorite type of bridge and  some other designs I don't find anything low budget or bad about them on the V7s. The important thing regarding the price-point to me is how good the physical bass is as far as wood/construction and if the roasting makes a big difference. They've definitely turned it up a notch as far as the body and the neck construction. Then on the other hand, if you prefer the classical J- or P'bass look this design is not for you. The same goes for the Sadowskys and Foderas with the fancy wood-tops and roasting. It's just a matter of taste but I don't see the price level on the V10 as too hight. The tuners, bridge and pickups are good enough already on the 2nd gen V7s even though they may not be my favorite but that has nothing to do with quality.

Edited by Basmicke

• 1 year later...

I don't know why SIRE didn't just use the Leo Quan-BadAss replica 'Omega-Bridge'.  I mean, if CORT can afford to put one on my GB74-GIG (along with the now de-riguer Hipshot Ultralites; for a measly £380 in UK)....surely Sire can....As alluded to by other commentators, it appears 'Dame' use upgraded hardware...so...why not Sire?
just my two cents.....I'd like a V7 BTW...in Ash ;-)

On 14/03/2019 at 00:44, Mike2tone said:

You are correct Sir, I forgot the new Rays have been announced and should be landing at around £850 to £1100  depending on the model you are looking for.  Great basses for the money!

Not as great as the original stingray when it was equally affordable though, unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2019 at 21:53, Cato said:

I might be wrong but I think they might have misjudged their market.

the V7s are popular because they punch well above their weight at the bottom of the midrange price band.

I'm not sure people see the Sire brand as £1000+ instruments.

So long as the V5 and V7 range don't start increasing in price to match that.  We've already seen EB, Warwick, Fender and others do the let-make-the-workhorse-bass-a-halo-model thing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 7tenths said:

I don't know why SIRE didn't just use the Leo Quan-BadAss replica 'Omega-Bridge'.  I mean, if CORT can afford to put one on my GB74-GIG (along with the now de-riguer Hipshot Ultralites; for a measly £380 in UK)....surely Sire can....As alluded to by other commentators, it appears 'Dame' use upgraded hardware...so...why not Sire?
just my two cents.....I'd like a V7 BTW...in Ash 😉

To be fair, Cor-tek has a unique position because they make a load of their hardware themselves. Bartolini-licensed Mk1 pickups and preamps? Made by Cort! Hipshot-licensed Ultralite copies? Made by Cort! Select by EMG? Made by Cort! The more affordable CND (Carey Nordstrand Design) pickups on Ibanez Premium basses? Also made by Cort, as are all Indonesian-made Ibanez guitars and basses!

It wouldn't surprise me if the Omega bridge (which is sold under the Allparts brand, as Allparts has acquired the Leo Quan company) is also made in the far East by one of Cor-tek's suppliers or Cor-tek owned companies and they can get them cheap. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...