Why become a member? ×

Sire V10 - new top spec model on the way?

Wilco

Apparently they're Sire "Premium" tuners over the standard ones and the bridge is exactly the same. Two areas where they should have spent the money on higher end parts IMO.

Also that demo video was awful! I wish they wouldn't start with loads of meandering solos and "wacky" presenters and just show us closeups of the hardware differences.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

I might be wrong but I think they might have misjudged their market.

the V7s are popular because they punch well above their weight at the bottom of the midrange price band.

I'm not sure people see the Sire brand as £1000+ instruments.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Exactly, they should concentrate on improving the hardware on the existing models while keeping the price down. Things like rolled fingerboard edges and tweaked pickups are steps forward, superfluous things like wooden cavity covers (with no quick access) and fancy finishes are a waste of time IMO. 

Will be interesting to see the resale prices on these and the V9 models in a year or so.

• Like 1

The V9s were “premium” enough while still sitting in a reasonably affordable area of the market. The V7s and V3s must vastly outsell the V9s so why they’ve felt the need for an even higher price tier is beyond me.

They’re now competing with the likes of Lakland Skylines, Dingwall Combustions and even Sandberg Californias. Seems like a questionable business decision but what do I know!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CameronJ said:

The V9s were “premium” enough while still sitting in a reasonably affordable area of the market. The V7s and V3s must vastly outsell the V9s so why they’ve felt the need for an even higher price tier is beyond me.

They’re now competing with the likes of Lakland Skylines, Dingwall Combustions and even Sandberg Californias. Seems like a questionable business decision but what do I know!

Agree.

High end wood with low end components. If only they would upgrade the hardware it might make these more attractive. 

• Like 3

On 03/03/2019 at 12:48, lemmywinks said:

Apparently they're Sire "Premium" tuners over the standard ones and the bridge is exactly the same. Two areas where they should have spent the money on higher end parts IMO.

Also that demo video was awful! I wish they wouldn't start with loads of meandering solos and "wacky" presenters and just show us closeups of the hardware differences.

What demo video?

8 minutes ago, Mike2tone said:

What demo video?

There was a video on the Andertons page, looks like it's been taken down now with an "Image coming soon" in it's place, consisted of two guys not going into much detail about the newer Sires while one of them acted like a children's TV presenter in the middle of a serious Class A binge.

On 03/03/2019 at 13:53, Cato said:

the V7s are popular because they punch well above their weight at the bottom of the midrange price band.

totally agree, it's a tough world in the 1k+ area I reckon, opens up a really good choice plus the higher end of the used market (OK, excluding the really exotics).

But Andertons have £1070 on it? Maybe that's do-able if it's really good. I can wait for a S/H one :)

Edited by Soledad

Sire are moving a million miles from what it's original selling pitch was. The price of the V7 is now £130+ more than what I paid for mine when they first came out. Even taking into account all the usual's, that's still a big hike IMO. The V7 used to be competitive with a Squier. The V3s are now approaching the price at what the V7s started at.

I think it's a little disappointing that Sire seem to be creating ever more expensive basses.

I also think the V10 looks awful 😛

Edited by Marvin

If you look at their basses for the Korean market (the original company name is Dame) they have Grover tuners and Hipshot bridges as well as a set of Lindy Fralins. Converting over from Won to £ sees these at £727:

http://dame.co.kr/shop/data/intro/sub/snewlty-ex.html

http://joymusicshop.com/product/데임-sanctus-lty-dame-상투스-이태윤-시그니쳐-국내생산/3679/

http://dame.co.kr/shop/data/intro/sub/sv900-ex.html

http://akmusic.co.kr/renew/shop/item.php?it_id=v900

Not sure why we're getting a fancy top with in house cheap hardware for £1k+ but at least the V3s are still amazing value, I think the V7s are a great deal too especially looking at some of the Gen 1 clearance prices.

Edited by lemmywinks
  • Like 1

I know, it's just interesting to compare the hardware they put on premium models (and what they sell for) compared to what represents their top of the line basses over here.

I love my Sire and recommend them to anyone in the position of needing an excellent bass for minimal outlay but I think they are getting away from the original ethos of the range - a working bass which won't hold you back. That's a market they nailed out of the gate IMO so it's a bit disappointing to see prices creep up but the weak links still present.

Also they should do a V3 fretless with an unlined board.

2 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

I know, it's just interesting to compare the hardware they put on premium models (and what they sell for) compared to what represents their top of the line basses over here.

I love my Sire and recommend them to anyone in the position of needing an excellent bass for minimal outlay but I think they are getting away from the original ethos of the range - a working bass which won't hold you back. That's a market they nailed out of the gate IMO so it's a bit disappointing to see prices creep up but the weak links still present
Also they should do a V3 fretless with an unlined board.

I do agree that the hardware could be better on the V10. We have seen basses of this sort of price point wit Hipshot gear or similar. Saying that, the Sire hardware has had very little complains.

I do not think the company is deviating from what they originally set to do. They are just adding to it, but they are not forcing customers to buy a V10 because the V7 or V3 is obsolete. Just like anything, prices increase and had to go up when the Version 2 was released, but you get a lot more for your money.

The rolled edges, for example, can only be done by hand and this takes a long time to do and no other bass features this at this price point, so this added to the cost plus the new pickups, neck finish and pre-amp. The major issue in terms of quality with the first release was the battery pack which was replaced. The hardware has not been an issue but some bridges on the V7 Vintage were a bit flimsy.

The real pain is the pre-amp as it is PCB mounted, so if you break a pot, you have to replace the whole pre-amp.

To put it into perspective, a Squire Classic Vibe is £389 and the new V7 version 2, which is an active/passive bass with an ebony fingerboard, rolled edges and matching headstock is only £416:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/sire-version-2-marcus-miller-v7-alder-4-string-lake-placid-blue

If you play both, it is a no brainer which one plays and sounds better and for the extra £27, you get a lot more than any other bass at £416 has.

• Like 3

There's been quite a few complaints about the bridges on all models, IMO they're the worst part of the bass albeit functional to a degree but there's definitely some design flaws there. There's been snapped intonation screws, general intonation issues and poor break angles when stringing neck through. There's probably a reason their basses for their home market get Hipshots.

Also if you're gigging with the bass regularly then those tuners need to go. Never had a problem with the battery box on mine and would prefer it to something I need a screwdriver to access any day of the week.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

There's been quite a few complaints about the bridges on all models, IMO they're the worst part of the bass albeit functional to a degree but there's definitely some design flaws there. There's been snapped intonation screws, general intonation issues and poor break angles when stringing neck through. There's probably a reason their basses for their home market get Hipshots.

Also if you're gigging with the bass regularly then those tuners need to go. Never had a problem with the battery box on mine and would prefer it to something I need a screwdriver to access any day of the week.

Ok, I always say this, but I say it again - I think the stock tuners are great on mine.  They may look a bit more "halfords silver spray" than metal, but I find I often get mine out of the gig bag and it is still in tune - much better than any Fender or other more expensive bass I've had. I'd advise people try them before they start spending cash on other tuners.

My bridge is fine, but I don't string my flats through the body, so not best to comment on that.

The tuners are functional, just not great IMO but nothing worse than what you find on any decent budget bass. I have Schallers on mine and they are far better. The bass I was using beforethe SIre was a Cort B5 which I got on sale for approx £235 IIRC, that had Licensed Ultralites and going from those to the Sire tuners was night and day which I think is one of the reasons I was keen on replacing them. Just bang average cheap tuners which do an adequate job if a little loose feeling, if it's your main gigging bass and the opportunity arises to upgrade for a good price then definitely look into it. I paid £50 for a 5 string set of Schallers on here - no brainer really.

Again the bridge on mine wasn't an immediate problem, just something that was obviously not particularly good. I didn't like the almost 90 degree angle when stringing the B through body and from what I can gather on the 4 string version (at least on the original Sires) the E saddle covers the string hole when intonated!

• Like 1

I've got a first generation V7 fretless which on the whole I like a lot.

My fretless  intonation is so bad that I'm not really sure how well the tuners keep tune although they don't feel particularly smooth.

I've never been keen on the bridge, there's nothing wrong with it as such, it just feels very flimsy compared to my other basses.

I'd certainly expect a much higher standard  of hardware on a 1k+ instrument

I think what we need to consider, is that the V10 will be the most affordable bass for the specs you get. You will be looking at around £600 plus on top of the price of the V10, to find a bass with a roasted neck and a flamed maple top, which is actually a cap and not a veneer. 

I am divided about the hardware because although at that price point I would expect better, there  has to be a compromise because you do get top specs that cost a lot to manufacture. Also, given that the hardware used has been efficient, I guess they didn't see the need to change it. 

I got to see the Sire that Marcus uses live and his is all stock as it left the factory. 

Let's not forget that Sire are a relatively small and new company compared to Cort, who make Ibanez, Lakland and others, and is a more established company with their own factory. 

I will get my hands on the first batch that lands in the UK, so I'll be posting my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, lemmywinks said:

The new one has the Premium version of their tuners so it would be interesting to hear your opinion on those especially if you can compare them to the standard ones.

Yes! Nothing due until the second half of the year though but I will report then. I wanna see the other colour of the V10 as they only had the natural at NAMM. Sunburst should look good. 

Not sure what all the fuss is about. They aren't discontinuing the V3 and V7 for it and will probably only make a small number of V10s. If you don't think it's good value, don't buy one. I have had a Vintage V7 as my main gigging bass for a while and the bridge and tuners have held up fine. I admit they could be better but I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade.

• Like 2

On 09/03/2019 at 15:10, uk_lefty said:

Not sure what all the fuss is about. They aren't discontinuing the V3 and V7 for it and will probably only make a small number of V10s. If you don't think it's good value, don't buy one. I have had a Vintage V7 as my main gigging bass for a while and the bridge and tuners have held up fine. I admit they could be better but I haven't yet felt the need to upgrade.

Exactly!!