Why become a member? ×

Tonight’s gig is cancelled....because...

Thunderpaws

Several years ago I tired to book us into this very venue only to give up after one visit and three phone calls to a junior under lakky.  Total waste of space. Bands pay a fee for the venue and PA but need to cover the door themselves to collect tickets and cash.  Best avoided and we didn't try again.  The tech set up isn't high end as others have suggested any band member could have coped in the OP's situation.  

This situation seems to be more than an emoyee failing to turn up for work.  

Edited by NoRhino
Correction

I turned up for a gig a few years ago to find we had been cancelled because there was a boxing match on Sky in the pub.  Might have been nice to tell us in advance.

Funny thing in the end was that our guitarist was MD of company and that week went to some business convention where he happened to meet the MD of Greene King, owners of said establishment.  He mentioned it in passing and the guy said he'd sort it - which he did.  We were paid our fee and offered more gigs by a very sheepish landlord.

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm really slow getting to this thread. 

So cards on the table here - I'm transgender, currently transitioning & I run the Transgender group for a large oil multinational & do global training on trans awareness. I'm also the person that did the Vickibass thread about transgender however many years ago it was if anyone else was around then.

So few bits - 

As I understand it, ‘gender neutral’ can be seen as somehow offensive to trans people

I have never come across a single trans (short for transgender) person that would be offended by the term gender neutral - its normally used to describe toilets etc that anyone can use, for instance, rather than a person though. I can't honestly see any thing to worry about here or why the person got offended - if you've got the band's facebook please ping me I'd love to have a look in context.

Despite all the BS in the press about how easy it is to offend transgender people, its really not, we're the same as everyone else. Sure 1% of transactivists will make a sh*t load of noise about something but that's no different to the 1% or anti trans activists (except a few of those are editors for big publications so more easily get an audience) - the 98% of people are entirely reasonable, just want to get on with their lives without hassle and are more than tolerant if someone calls them a he instead of she. Frankly I couldn't give a toss, I don't need anyone to validate me thanks ;)

The extremely low level of education around transgender is frankly the thing that causes almost all the issues to be honest as people jump to conclusions that are completely untrue - its the same as transvestism -"Tranny" - or it's a lifestyle choice are the two most common; both completely incorrect along with all the other rubbish that gets bandied about about shared spaces with women, self declaration of gender, trans people in sports etc. 

I have a hastily put together website of debranded material http://www.transknowledge.co.uk that I've created for work - feel free to have a look or not whatever you feel like.

Likewise I'm more than happy to discuss anything about it and believe me, I won't be offended, I give away a box of chocolates on my courses to anyone that can ask a question so politically incorrect and offensive that I won't answer it - I've given away one in 2 years, so have a go if you like :D

Bobbi

PS - Hung Like Hanratty?? - amateurs -spend a morning reading through the trans posts on mumsnet if you want to be offended :D

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Now come on Bob you can't leave it like that without telling us what the box of chocolate question was!? 

haha - well that's easy - I was telling them that I finally decided to transition after something happened and I found myself at the curbside on a blind bend/humpback bridge where huge lorries from the landfill always screamed along and very nearly took the final easy step - it was either transition or finally give in  - and they asked what the "something" was. I didn't want to tell them as it was to do with my family.

More gory details here is you're bored or suffering from insomnia :)

https://www.transknowledge.co.uk/suicide.html

and no you don't get chocolates for asking that one again :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for your input @BobVbass

I would be interested to know your take on this if you do get to see the offending post - given the information on here it does seem like a bit of an overreaction but there may be some background?

In the spirit of cards on the table - I am gender comfortable, but was in a relationship with someone born IS who technically transitioned at a young age ( more a case of corrected her gender). I'm still friends with her and have a passing interest in these matters.

Seeing as it’s a day after Transgender Day Of Visibility and I did nothing because I am recovering from surgery, i’ll bite. I’m transgender and the sound technician’s stance and pretty much everything following that confuses me. No alternative sound technician contingency at the venue is equally just as unprofessional... That being said the cis (look it up if unfamiliar) world gets away with all sorts of slurs against trans people and once in a while trans people just... snap...  Mumsnet or Newspapers or Newspaper Comments sections are a  great example of what anonymity + entitled + whiny cis fear and loathing leads to... 

So, apparently on these places trans ppl want to destroy society... actually yeah, I do kinda want want to wreck it all... but that’s not because trans people are  trans, but because there are forces out there that want to eradicate non-conforming people from existence by any means possible and our/their survival mandates we want to make sure a society is made where that cannot happen, that starts with being pretty hard on slurs. Sometimes people overreact, sometimes people don’t react enough; I probably should do more. If I stumble upon anti-trans attitude I just roll my eyes and say, “oh gawd, the cis are at it again..” (seriously there are some dumb folk out there) and move on. Normally I’d not go looking, sometimes it’s unavoidable -- I never read the newspaper comments sections. Last time I did Ugh. Now I’m the dumb one for letting their stuff affect me.

I won’t share any gory details about my life before transition (it’s textbook) but after entering the Scottish NHS Gender Reassignment pathway a few years ago with years of waiting, years of tests, then years of medication, interim procedures and dreadfully dreary therapy (mostly consisting of “are you sure? No... are you really really sure?) Gatekeeping upon gatekeeping: following adams-apple removal in December,  I had Vaginoplasty (aka “have you have ‘the op?’” — a question I am under no obligation to answer) last month by one of the UK’s preeminent  urologists and reassignment surgeons in Brighton... I am midway through 12 weeks of recovery, I am sore (but now not walking like I have a tennis ball stuffed up my bottom) and able to refurb Trace cabs.

The gubbiment gave me my Gender Recognition Certificate and I changed my Birth Certificate. Passports, Banks, Taxes, Council Tax, Lang Registery ownership sets... it all just glides into place as life becomes more normal, yeah, i’m very happy I went through it all. When this surgery is healed I get facial feminisation performed this year (again, I am under zero obligation to tell people this, but it’s all part of the journey). You know, all that progress really chills one out. Waiting months and years between anything happening really messes with a person. I’ve been there.

I’m still confused about the sound tech, the band description is not offensive to me, (just really really unimaginative, dull and a bit stupid — typical of clueless Cis folk being a bit free with their privilege) but I don’t experience much of the anti Trans hate or the TERFy/Gender Critical  nonsense first hand because I go stealth and I mostly pass, so maybe they had enough or had a bad day so something snapped — I’m lucky and  privilege allows me to disappear into the cis world. I am so far into transition that most people just assume I’m yet another angry woman with a precision bass... and truth be known I am just another anonymous punk bassist so being trans is... or rather was for me a major all encompassing and now rapidly normalising transitionary process; transition for me is a series of corrections so I can get on with life. That’s apparently normal, but I know it feels so out of reach for the person waiting… waiting… as time bloody passes and that’s gonna skew ones sensibility.

That’s really it. when I come across anti trans stuff, like mumsnet in real life I generally just oppose their view without outing myself or offering a show and tell because it’s not really anyone’s business.. Backfiring Irony aside, (I keep going back to check: it’s a really lame band description) I cannot see why someone else could not run the faders, it’s not really difficult. all I can say is trans people’s experiences are not uniform or the same (despite clinically me describing my experience as “textbook” earlier - ha!) trans people all have wildly divergent experiences and psychologically can cope with different levels of stuff, some trans people are comfy in transition, some are not (that’s not for anyone to judge), some trans people go for “the works” and to ascend into heteronormativity, some don’t, some trans people don’t regard themselves as trans once they have gotten through the meat grinder of the NHS or the WPATH protocols. Some trans ppl even play the bass!

I want my chocolate now...

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The exact opposite of someone who says "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" .

I can guarantee that that is not the definition. In fact it is almost the opposite definition. A snowflake is literally 'someone who gets annoyed about different things than me'

• Like 2

On 01/03/2019 at 21:03, Thunderpaws said:

Was supposed to be playing a gig tonight. We don’t do many so it’s a big thing for us when we do. 

Everyone from the three bands on the bill (our night) turns up on time, load all out gear in, get it partially set up....then. Venue guy says...sorry, your gig is cancelled because the sound guy is refusing to come in because of something one of the bands has written on their Facebook page. 

Turns out that the sound person is transgender. The Facebook post says “hi, we are (insert band name here) the areas most gender neutral band”. Turns out this was a very offensive comment to the sound person. They didn’t even tell their work they weren’t coming in, it was one of the punters that knows her that said!!!

So, pi55ed off and so are the other bands. The band who’s post it was were very apologetic. If the sound person had such an issue surely they should have said much earlier. Most of our fans / supporters were told but a good few weee already travelling, have hotels booked, etc... not to mention the 80 mile round trip for me. Not right. 

Anyone else had similar experiences?!

The sound person needs a kick in the cnut/spheres*.

*Delete as appropriate. 

31 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I can guarantee that that is not the definition. In fact it is almost the opposite definition. A snowflake is literally 'someone who gets annoyed about different things than me'

Well I disagree, but i'm happy for others to make up their own minds 🙂

On 02/03/2019 at 15:06, keeponehandloose said:

So whats a snowflake?

Piers Morgan howling about Greg's doing vegan sausage rolls...

I dunno, maybe the band in question had been being Richards for a while and this was the last straw. Bit like the news stories around the last time we were blowing up bits of the middle east that were all 'muslims complaining about the English flag!!' And it turned out it was so much the flag as it was the constant abuse and harassment by the flag's owners...

And yay, there's nearly enough of Us to do my idea of an all-trans Ramones tribute band called 'The Tramones'!

Edited by operative451
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Now I'm very Liberal but honestly the idea of you three in one band is a step too far, not because of the trans thing, I just don't fancy a band with three bass players! 

Brass bands have four basses! Where's your sense of adventure, man? 😉

• Like 1