Why become a member? ×

Tonight’s gig is cancelled....because...

Thunderpaws

Was supposed to be playing a gig tonight. We don’t do many so it’s a big thing for us when we do. 

Everyone from the three bands on the bill (our night) turns up on time, load all out gear in, get it partially set up....then. Venue guy says...sorry, your gig is cancelled because the sound guy is refusing to come in because of something one of the bands has written on their Facebook page. 

Turns out that the sound person is transgender. The Facebook post says “hi, we are (insert band name here) the areas most gender neutral band”. Turns out this was a very offensive comment to the sound person. They didn’t even tell their work they weren’t coming in, it was one of the punters that knows her that said!!!

So, pi55ed off and so are the other bands. The band who’s post it was were very apologetic. If the sound person had such an issue surely they should have said much earlier. Most of our fans / supporters were told but a good few weee already travelling, have hotels booked, etc... not to mention the 80 mile round trip for me. Not right. 

Anyone else had similar experiences?!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

25 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Everyone’s looking to be offended these days. Someone will be offended that I said this, and then someone will take offence st them for being offended. 

I'm not offended by this post. And that offends me.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Everyone’s looking to be offended these days. Someone will be offended that I said this, and then someone will take offence st them for being offended. 

Too true sadly. To celebrate this we have a song called Are You Offended, which very catchily goes Are You Offended, Well F&ck You Too. It’s not clever, not subtle, so what.

Sadly it’s - imo - the internet that’s a lot to blame tor this,  people being so much braver sat at a keyboard than face to face. They can air opinions without comeback so suddenly find they have to tell everyone how everything in the world is offensive to them. 

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

The op said "sound guy" so it could be he that was she before? 

The OP later uses the feminine pronoun so I understood that to mean that it’s a she who used to be a he.

This is a minefield....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Skinnyman said:

The OP later uses the feminine pronoun so I understood that to mean that it’s a she who used to be a he.

This is a minefield....

Ah, but what if it's the other way around?

Your patriarchal biases have been exposed! ;)

• Like 1

Hand on heart, I cannot make head nor tail of what the original post is about? I'm 53 and maybe out of the loop? It's really alien. Or, maybe it's how fekin ludicrous folk can behave? I've been doing this for decades and I've never heard anything like it? I've never used the term "snowflake" in any context but I can now see why folk do.

Three bands turn up at a venue, only to be told that some fekin idiot has spat his (or her) dummy out (as the case may be) and so, all that effort by so many  is now totally unrewarded and rudely cast aside? What a load of bollox (or flaps) as the case may be) I'm sorry to be so un-PC but I don't really give two feks for anybody's sexuality or political stance. We're all human beings. Live and let live are my thoughts. Name the venue, so that no-one else will go to the trouble of turning up there.

• Like 4

At first I couldn't really find the words or make sense of this - its just so bizarre/ridiculous.

On further reflection, I agree with the poster above - this guy(/girl) was looking, hoping to be offended and is probably glued to Facebook checking everything. Not a healthy way to approach your life, or life choices. The real insult is that there's probably other transgenders who DO receive genuine offensive posts on Facebook and other social media; and they can't really do much to counter it, just grit their teeth and try to get on with their jobs/lives as best they can. This snowflake is making a mountain out of a molehill, is clearly overreacting and choosing to escalate a basically non-issue themselves. Whether they are just lazy/double booked/incompetent and wanted that night off, or whether they have more deep-rooted issues surrounding their own approach to social media or the rest of the world or can't cope with their own journey they've embarked upon surrounding their sexual identity, who knows?

• Like 2

What if the sound person just had a sudden bout of food poisoning? There's no contingency to run the night! Surely someone working there, or in one of the bands can run a PA? 

Understand you/ the other band don't want to deliberately offend someone. If the band had written something truly and directly offensive then I get it but this is a misunderstanding so surely the venue should have tried to soldier on? Bad venue I reckon if they didn't even try to check the facts or continue the night. 

I'm finding the older I get the more this kind of thing boils my p!ss!

I'm sick and tired of a societ that feels they have a right to be offended by everything, and more to the point that the rest of us should give a flying f@#* if and when they are. 

I honestly couldn't care less if a person is black, white, brown, blue,or sky blue pink with yellow dots. I also don't care if they're gay, straight, transgender or like to dress like Elvis in a blonde wig, but if I inadvertantly do something to offend one of these people, like maybe looking in their general direction or breathing too loudly, why do they then feel they have a right to speak for their whole "community" when claiming offence? The real irony is I'm far less tolerant now than I used to be for this very reason. 

This sound "person" should be sacked and never work in the industry again.

Sorry, not sorry! 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So, the sound person is trans and refuses to do the gig because one of the band's claimed to be, or is, gender neutral.

This sounds like a classic, "I'm the only gay in the village!"  She needs to grow up. She could have had a great night of LGBTQ unity. What a missed opportunity.

• Like 3

If someone posted on BC that this is a race friendly forum that would not make me to stop coming here.

But...if someone said positive things about p basses or upgrading/modifying   cheap guitars and making them even cheaper I would be upset.😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I only woke up half an hour ago and I've already offended my wife and the next door neighbour*. I even managed to offend myself twice while brushing my teeth. We live in the era of offence.

*The next door neighbour may not have taken offence, we were talking about the wooden panels that separate out gardens, so he might have said he was 'taking the fence' now that I come to think of it. He is Canadian, so some of his vowels are slightly different. I have now offended the entire population of Canada as well, and it's not even breakfast time yet!

• Haha 8

10 hours ago, mingsta said:

Mind boggling. But surely the gig could have carried on without the sound guy? Most bands have at least a couple of members who know their way around a sound desk and PA. 

We asked. They wouldn’t let us touch their gear. Also, the “offending” band offered to go home and leave their drum kit for us to use but the sound guy still refused!!

• Sad 1

Frank Zappa would have had this sorted in a second. “Have I Offended Someone” is great and way ahead of it’s time (last night). 

I also agree that the venue (13th Note) should have had a contingency, as rightly pointed out, what if there was simply a call off due to illness. Waking up this morning my bubble is still deflated.