Why become a member? ×

MIJ Mustangs - was black/black/maple ever produced?

Paul S

A perhaps not so idle thought, as I might find myself in the market for a Mustang bass soon.  I am looking at the MIJ single split coil ones rather than the recent rash of P/Js - did they ever come with black bodies, black pickguards and a maple neck?  I've seen pics of that combo on 70s/80s USA ones.  Also the Squier VM Mustang had this option - which is actually quite tempting, I had one and it was great.

Muchas gracias :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, a new build is always an option :)

I think the black/tort/maple are the new MIM ones that are P/J, which I don't particularly like.  It is the tone from that odd little split coil that appeals as well as the look.  I had one of the Squiers a couple of years back and it was surprisingly good - didn't sound much different to a MIJ Mustang I tried.  Shouldn't have sold it, really.  Could put that on my headstone!

19 hours ago, Donnyboy said:

image.thumb.png.61da45bb534cfd0a9c6014ff780d7a51.png

Here you go...  in my Mun & Dad's "Front Room" They didn't seem to mind a Sound City 4x12  & a Hiwatt Amp on proud display

I got the Mustang fairly cheap as the local music shop in Falkirk was fire/flood damaged

Looks like it was USA made and cost me  £100 in February  1982.. just after my 18th birthday

20190320_200002.thumb.jpg.0b3fb9e63d208d1e28fbe36fc8b6096b.jpg20190320_200053.thumb.jpg.7ff57ce3b6c864ea7e52dc7e9ec0f36b.jpg

Edited by Donnyboy
rotated images
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Worth a little more than that now.  :)  Amazed you have the paperwork - or at least pics of it.

Yip.. I found these in a wee box that I've got various  bits and bobs in.  The Sound City  4x12 was £65 about  the  same time ..

• Like 1

Thanks Warren.  Call me shallow and superficial, I would hold out for black/black/maple.  Believe it or not I am currently selling anything that isn't.  Might get confusing eventually.... :)  

• Like 1