Why become a member? ×

Thinking of calling it a day!!!!

thebigyin

38 minutes ago, deepbass5 said:

Yes Dave you've got it there

comes a point when you actually want to do what you want to do. I look in my wardrobe and realise I have been wearing black socks, black trousers and white shirts all my life,

From school, in Brass bands , orchestras, Big bands and in our functions band wearing DJ's  - I have been playing music that other people want to hear which is right and proper, but i never got to play in Rock bands and the music that moved me in my teens. No regrets on what i have done, but just the bits I didn't get to do because i was too busy pleasing everyone else.

I can understand where you are coming from. I've done the opposite. I only played in bands i enjoyed the music. Heavy or Classic Rock, Prog, Jazz Rock, Funk / Blues based rock, 70's covers bands and now Glam Rock. Done the covers and the originals bands and even tried the function band thing but it just wasn't for me. I couldn't get used to young kids dancing about on dance floors. Too weird for me. I've tried things and realised it wasn't for me. 

I play bass as a hobby and my main concern is that i'm enjoying the songs first and that the band members are easy to get along with and especially no ego's.

Why not look for guys that want to play rock with you. No idea what age you are but i played in a Funk / Blues rock band last year doing Doobies, Allmans, Tony Joe White, and some other bands i'd never heard off but the 2 guitarists and the singer were all 70 when i joined. (I was 57 at that time so i was the youngster xD)  

Its never too late to get the band you always wanted.

Dave

Well, here's my take. I set out after 15 years of not playing to scare the living B'Jesus out of myself. Threw myself in and after a year or practice started a band. Its 2 years down the line and it's going well.  Doesn't matter what you do...... bite off more than you think you can chew and after a few more blisters  you will be better. I play acoustic and other stuff but I could have been just as happy playing along to old Steely dan tracks on YT. Secret is be happy, bit of bass, bit of guitar , vocals all good just keep the music alive where it feels the best.Bass its just one outlet for your musical soul.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2019 at 11:35, thebigyin said:

Well that's it folks decided to pack up the Bass...it's been a frustrating few years been Bandless for the past 4 years and the last 2 bands I was actually Vocalist/Frontman as I started out as a singer back in the late 70s...I took up Bass about 99/2000ish very late starter but packed up in 07 and started fronting bands again, then my work got in the way hence not gigging for past 4 years and to be honest although I have tried to keep my hand in practising at home I just don't enjoy it anymore...so hoping to get back into solo acoustic stuff....I have enjoyed the Forum it's the best out there I wish you all well but enough is enough, cheers Bob x

Nowt wrong with that Bob. My main thing these days is as a solo acoustic singer/guitarist, free from the dramas, frustrations and demands of the bands I've been immersed in for the last 15 years.

Very enjoyable it is too, and about as good a fit as i can manage between my other family/work commitments.

Good luck with it Bob.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Nowt wrong with that Bob. My main thing these days is as a solo acoustic singer/guitarist, free from the dramas, frustrations and demands of the bands I've been immersed in for the last 15 years.

Very enjoyable it is too, and about as good a fit as i can manage between my other family/work commitments.

Good luck with it Bob.

Well done bassbiscuits but you'll need to change your TAG now to simply "biscuits" xD

Its good to see that you've kept yourself involved in the music scene so all credit to you sir.

Wishing you every success and if you are happy with what you do then you can't really ask for more.

Dave

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Well done bassbiscuits but you'll need to change your TAG now to simply "biscuits" xD

Its good to see that you've kept yourself involved in the music scene so all credit to you sir.

Wishing you every success and if you are happy with what you do then you can't really ask for more.

Dave

Ah thanks Dave. I still play bass, but its not with any regularity compared with my acoustic solo work. But i've been here before - I didn't touch my bass for about four years before joining my last band. It's a lifelong game though isn't it, not a sprint.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Good luck with it Bob.

Thanks mate appreciate that

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Ah thanks Dave. I still play bass, but its not with any regularity compared with my acoustic solo work. But i've been here before - I didn't touch my bass for about four years before joining my last band. It's a lifelong game though isn't it, not a sprint.

Unfortunately my race is nearer its end than beginning but i'm enjoying it more now than i ever did as a teenager into my 20's and 30's. Its more relaxed now i think. 

You are 100% correct. Its never been a race for me as long as i was having fun that's all that mattered to me.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 2

Taking time off bass? Yep, done that, though to be fair I was playing guitar instead, in a variety of bands & styles. Stopped bass and sold all the bass gear around the middle of 1983.  Started again Feb. 2017, though to be fair, when my son started trying out bass in 2007, I had a noodle around with it then, especially when he stopped after just one gig.  And then at one point between then and now, I bought a Dean Pace because I'd always wanted to play walking bass upright-style. (Actually it was October 2012 because I bought it from @davehux on here). Except I didn't really get around to it too quickly and it's only in the last 18 months or so that I've managed to get that working. Slow learner, me; mostly down to indolence. Oh, and lack of talent as well; mustn't forget that.

And here I am back again. Can't stay away from it. Lots of people who hear me playing bass wonder why I'm still playing guitar - "you sound so much more natural on bass", they say. (Lots of people who hear me playing guitar also wonder why I'm still playing guitar, but anyway...)

But, when I was in-between bands...I never stopped playing something.  So if you're going to keep playing...then that's the answer, whatever the instrument. Don't lose touch with it. When you can feel your fingers start to twitch when you hear a killer bass riff...you'll know that it's time. You'll know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was a pro many moons ago and made a decent living, gigging, touring, doing studio work and teaching. I gave up on a career about 15-odd years ago and now don’t gig, and rarely play. I can easily say I’ve “called it a day” but I still really enjoy playing bass for my own pleasure.

I wouldn’t look at things in such a black-and-white way - I find playing bass a great stress-buster and any playing you do on any instrument makes you a more rounded musician. Keep playing - even if it’s only occasional :)

• Like 3

• thebigyin changed the title to Thinking of calling it a day!!!!