Why become a member? ×

Thinking of calling it a day!!!!

thebigyin

Thinking of calling it a day on Bass...it's been a frustrating few years been Bandless for the past 4 years and the last 2 bands I was actually Vocalist/Frontman as I started out as a singer back in the late 70s...I took up Bass about 99/2000ish very late starter but packed up in 07 and started fronting bands again, then my work got in the way hence not gigging for past 4 years and to be honest although I have tried to keep my hand in practising at home I just don't enjoy it anymore...so hoping to get back into solo acoustic stuff....I have enjoyed the Forum it's the best out there I wish you all well but enough is enough, cheers Bob x

Edited by thebigyin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Nothing wrong with being a multi-instrumentalist. You'll always be welcome here!

S.P.

Thanks that's true and to be honest I have flitted between Bass, Electric and Acoustic and become the typical jack of all....master of none, but been thinking things through and decided to concentrate on Acoustic as I can please myself then...as I work very unsociable hours that don't allow me to be in a band now and it gets depressing so hopefully going to learn some Acoustic Fingerstyle Blues and eventually go it alone...that's the plan lol.

29 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

to be honest although I have tried to keep my hand in practising at home I just don't enjoy it anymore...

Yeah bass is rubbish. So let's close the forum and all give up.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

At least you'll still be playing in bands in some form or another. Good luck with whatever you do.

No reason you can't stay on the forum tho as sometimes the chat can be fun.

All the best

Dave

Indeed. I've given up playing in bands and mostly listen to music where there's hardly any bass guitar but I still like coming onto BC as it's now the only forum I bother with. I will pick up a bass and play along to CDs, and occasionally the missus and the girls will stop for a few minutes to watch but that's as much 'performing' I do nowadays 😏

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, thebigyin said:

I have tried to keep my hand in practising at home I just don't enjoy it anymore...

I can empathise with that. Bass is miserable to practise alone at home, it is a world of difference doing this and playing/rehearsing with others. Some instruments lend themselves to being played on their own, for example piano, guitar. And some don't. Playing with others is a completely extra dimension which opens them up.

I can't really offer any advice on your journey finding a decent band to play with. At the moment, I kinda fell on my feet and am enjoying it, partly because I stepped up and became the "bandleader" so now I am my own boss, in a way. But you are always going to have to deal with musicians, its like herding cats.

But please DO keep up the music, acoustic guitar is ideal, and getting back into playing the bass as & when will be not too troublesome if ever you wanted to.

• Like 2

I too can fully empathise with struggling to find the motivation or any joy in practicing bass at home when not playing in a band. Best wishes to the OP 👍 

Edited by Deedee
typo
  • Like 1

Stopingp being a bass player is like stopping being able to ride a bike - you might get rusty, but you will always be able to pick one up and have a go

I haven't been in a band for over twenty years, but I still enjoy practising. I'm sure a few times I've gone a year without playing bass, but I always had an acoustic guitar in reach.

It does go up and down in my priorities, bit I'm keen to find a band again as my circumstances are subtly different....

• Like 3

Currently having similar thoughts...though I'm considering having a clear out (again) I plan to keep hold of some equipment - just in case....

As Dave says, you can continue to use the forum even if you're not actively playing.

• Like 1

You've made your choice, and I respect it.
It's bloody stupid, but I bloody respect it.
Also, it's absurd, but I respect it.
Oh, and it's treason worse than betraying your country. but I respect it.

Please stay?

😉

Seriously though, if you do not wish to stay-on-BC-and-just-use-the-C-only, which still is a good option, then I wish you all the very best with your endeavours!

all the best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor
  • Like 2

Music used to be a big deal when I was in my teens and 20s but from my 30s it's become much less so and I've felt like giving up playing instruments completely a few times . However, on the advice of others I'm glad I haven't. You might take a break from bass for a few years but what's the betting you'll get an itch to pick it up again at a later date?

• Like 1

Never thought i would be feeling the same, but things change for better or worse and you have a whole new perspective on life.

I have just packed in playing my main Big band after many years, due to musical direction and not enough time to rehearse properly. playing what individuals wanted and not what public want to hear.

Bought a CS precision this time last year for a 60's band that never materialised, Its been to one jam. So that will probably have to go.

This will probably be the last year our function band gigs, due to effort to do it properly and the expense - Website , insurance Pat testing and advertising.

I feel a cull coming on,

But its nice in the Garden, mustn't grumble.    

• Like 2

Haven't been in gigging band since 2005 and still love buying and playing basses just as much as the instrument first excited me back in the '70s. I get great enjoyment out of them, even if playing for two minutes or an hour dead straight. 

I do have a bunch of acoustics and electric sixes to balance it all out but,  bass?.....can't imagine ever giving it up.

Edited by NikNik
  • Like 1

Nowt wrong just playing at home. I did it for many years when i first started and it helped me become a better bass player. I did it again when the old work thing took over my existence but when i turned 50 i decided it was time to do something more and i've never really stopped since.

Of course i've been thru more bands in the past 8 yrs than i ever did in my early years of gigging but its been great fun and i'm lucky to have ended up in a great band doing Glam Rock covers. 

If i had to go back to not being in bands i would still have basses at home that i just won't sell on. My Jazz, Warwick Thumb NT and my Overwater Custom 6 fretless. Anything else i would sell if need be.

I thoroughly enjoy playing along with albums at home especially Prog that i love.

There are all levels of playing bass from sitting at home to playing arena's and everything in between. Nothing is more important than what you personally want from it. 

Dave

• Like 2

Yes Dave you've got it there

comes a point when you actually want to do what you want to do. I look in my wardrobe and realise I have been wearing black socks, black trousers and white shirts all my life,

From school, in Brass bands , orchestras, Big bands and in our functions band wearing DJ's  - I have been playing music that other people want to hear which is right and proper, but i never got to play in Rock bands and the music that moved me in my teens. No regrets on what i have done, but just the bits I didn't get to do because i was too busy pleasing everyone else.

• Like 1

• thebigyin changed the title to Thinking of calling it a day!!!!