Why become a member? ×

Just bought fake D'addario strings or not ?

flippyfloop

Hi,

I bought a set of D’addario EXL165 strings on amazon uk this week. Just wanted to know if they are legit or not. There’s a long blob of glue sealing the pack at the back and wondered if this is normal ? It looks to me like they have possibly been opened and then sealed back up badly ? Not used these strings before so this glue blob thingy may be normal ? I’ve attached two pictures. Also contacted D'addario to see what they think.

Cheers.

back.jpg

front.jpg

Open the cardboard pack. Inside the sealed strings have a serial number on the packet that cross references online with D’Addario,s website. Go to the website and search for ‘Play Real’ where you are asked for your email address and the next page will ask for the serial number which is checked and immediately tells you if they are fake or ‘Real’. I ve been sold fake strings before, their volume was way down on a ‘real’ set. The package colouring was slightly off and the ball end colours were slightly off too.

7 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Has the packet actually been opened and re-sealed under that glue? It looks more like the kind of temporary gorilla snot used to stick things onto magazine covers.

Definitely glue & I've picked a tiny bit off and it's also definitely there to glue down the seal. Does not seem normal.

1 hour ago, mybass said:

Open the cardboard pack. Inside the sealed strings have a serial number on the packet that cross references online with D’Addario,s website. Go to the website and search for ‘Play Real’ where you are asked for your email address and the next page will ask for the serial number which is checked and immediately tells you if they are fake or ‘Real’. I ve been sold fake strings before, their volume was way down on a ‘real’ set. The package colouring was slightly off and the ball end colours were slightly off too.

Surely this would be null if the seal to the box has already been broken and re-sealed with crappy glue ? Are the strings also inside a sealed baggy with serial inside that ?

On 01/03/2019 at 11:30, pete.young said:

Has the packet actually been opened and re-sealed under that glue? It looks more like the kind of temporary gorilla snot used to stick things onto magazine covers.

I reckon this ^^ 

On 03/03/2019 at 15:44, Delberthot said:

The packaging looks real from what I can see. As long as when you do open them the ball ends are the correct colours then you will, or should know, for definite then.

In fact it shows the correct colours on the bag that holds the strings

The fake ones I bought had the correct colour ball ends but put next to a legit D'Addario set the shade of each ball end colour of the fake set was easily seen to be different from the D’Addario set.

20 minutes ago, Jonse said:

Is there really a market for making fake bass strings? 

Obviously somewhere in the world is a factory churning false strings out for whichever brand they can copy..... and as an aside, Shure mics are the most ‘faked’ mics out there. I was told by Shure UK a few years ago that Shure continually find and get the Chinese authorities to close down these fake factory sites.