Why become a member? ×

P Bass Comparison

SPHDS

Apologies if this has been done to death......I did have a look but turned up nothing......
Anyway......
Obviously I know that the Precision Bass has evolved over time from the '51 Tele-esque original to the better known post '57 shape......
But sound wise, how do they compare.....?
Always liked P's in general, but do kinda like '51 style looks (particularly something like a blonde and black...)
So......is a '51 original and best, The Revamp where it is at, or something like a Dirnt best of both?
(I am also aware that necks/radii/bridges/pickups and the like are all varied and subjective....)
So....let the discussion begin.....

I've always preferred the '51 single coil ones. I've had two Fenders and 2 Warmoths. To me they have a more rough edge to them than the single coil and can be a bit gnarly. I also prefer the headstock on these ones but prefer the '54 onwards body with the contours rather than the slab

Which is best is subjective, I am a P guy through and through. My preference is the 51 SC, the sound is warmer, richer and more organic, and I like the overall aesthetics and look of the original. 

The split coil has a fuller, thumpier (if that's a word) and more rounded tone.