Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Fender US Jazz 75 RI - Candy Apple Red - Thanks for info. and comments
£1200
Kingston on Thames, Surrey

hairyhatman

I bought this on BC in early 2009. To be honest I don't know how to date this. The serial number is 00241. I think they did a run of 1000 of these. Someone on BC suggested 2002. I registered it on Fenders website and got the following back. 

FSR 75 J-BASS CAR W/PNTD HDCP

Model #: 0174300809 Serial #: 00241 

Grateful for any BCers who can decipher this.

Here the original BC posting when I bought it.

• The little decal on the back of the headstock disintegrated for some reason (see pic). Don't know why. Just opened the gig bag one day and there it was.
  • Gigged regularly when I first bought it but only about 5 times in the last 5 years or so.
  • Has one beautiful little ding on the back, otherwise condition is 9/10. I'll add a pic tomorrow but 
  • I think it had a white pick guard off the line, with the ashtray and front pickup covers. The previous owner swapped it out for pearloid and I don't have the original. I have the ashtray cover but not the front pup cover.
  • Think it also has pup covers added. I don't think they were on the original model.
  • I bought this for £1075 on BC in 2009 and think it should have maintained its value, so priced it at £1200 to allow for a bit of time based mojo.
  • It's a beautiful bass. Only selling because I need to thin the herd, and I'm playing more guitar these days so someone somewhere should be playing it.
  • Selling in good faith and happy to take all information/corrections if someone more knowledgeable spots something.
  • Comes with a hard flight type case (not Fender)
  • No tags/candy I'm afraid.
  • I'm in Kingston Surrey. Would prefer collection, or will drive for up to 1 hour from Kingston to meet up.

IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_1051.JPG

IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

Edited by hairyhatman
Sold
  • Like 2

I had the self same model in CAR.  Very good Jazz basses, easily up to CS quality.  Px'd it against a Ric 4004 - ahhh, the stupidity of youth.  Thought this might have been my old one, but just checked a piccie I'd kept and mine was S/N 00264.  GLWTS

Edited by martthebass

As far as I remember there were 1000 of these made in red, white & blues, in a patriotic move after 911.

Colours were LPB, CAR, White & either Daphne or Sonic Blue, can't remember which.

I know there's a thread somewhere, probably TB, but I can't find it.

Traded mine with Dougie Loudon of this parish, coz I'm stupid.

Thanks for the chips ins. 

The decal on the back of the headstock has been like that for about five years. I always use Dunlop fretboard cleaners when I change strings. Maybe I gave it a general wipe down with the same cloth and it reacted in the gigbag. I didn’t spot it at the time.  It is weird though  I’m sure Dunlop would know if their cleaners reacted with decals. I’ll try and find a pic of the original  

Al

Someone on TalkBass posted specs for this a few years ago. I don't know where he got them, or where you get the 'official' specs from Fender. Scale length is 34", nut is 1.5". It says pearloid pickguard here but the one on it is not the original.

Model Name: Fender FSR '75 Jazz Bass(r)
Model Number: 017-4300-(809)
Series: American Vintage Series
Body: Alder 
Neck: Maple, (Poly-Urethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood, (7.25" Radius/184 mm)
No. of Frets: 20 Vintage Size
Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
Width @ Nut: 1.500" (38 mm)
Hardware: Chrome
Machine Heads: Standard
Bridge: Vintage '70s with Single Groove Saddles
Pickguard: 3-Ply White Pearloid 
Pickups: 2 Vintage Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups 
Pickup Switching: N/A
Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Colors: Candy Apple Red, Olympic White, Lake Placid Blue, Sonic Blue 
(Polyurethane Finish)
Strings: Fender Super Bass 7250ML, #073-7250-005, (.045, .065, .080,..100)
Unique Features: Matching Painted Headstock,
White Binding with Pearloid Block Position Inlays, 
"Bullet" Truss Rod Adjustment,
3-Bolt Neck Plate with Tilt Adjustment Feature 
Source: CORONA (US)
Accessories: Black Tolex Case
U.S. MSRP: $2,199.99
Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are
Subject To Change Without Notice
INTRODUCED: 2/2002
DISCONTINUED: 
DISCONTINUED COLORS: 
COMMENTS: Limited run for the European Market in 2002

I had a message asking about the pickguard screw holes so took it off this morning to have a look. It's definitely not the original pickguard. It has a shop sticker on it. All the outer screw holes match up with the pickguard (i.e. no leftover holes). You can also see three additional screw holes underneath to match up with the previous one. The one in the centre might be just another one for the original pickguard. Two others to the right of that? Don't know. Finger rest for thumb players maybe?

Also two screw holes for the ashtray don't look factory drilled. It's a bit ragged. ( see pic) I thought they came with the pup covers but maybe not. Also see ding on the edge.

Took the pots out for a photo op while I was at it.

Finally pics of the back. Some buckle rash and one ding.

Happy to dig more to help things along.

Al

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1067.JPG

No I'm not 100% sure. No mention of it when I bought and didn't think to ask. Just assumed they were. Someone else asked the same questions. I'm changing the strings later so I'll see what I can do to get in there for a look. I haven't fiddled with it at all so it's exactly as I got it.  Will post pics. Thanks.

26 minutes ago, ead said:

Forgot to add mine didn't have the sticker on the reverse of the headstock so maybe this was added subsequently and may explain the disintegration?

They were an over the lacquer waterslide decal, mine had it. Only takes a bit of damp (or polish as stated) and they’re done for.

the pickups and Pickguard aren’t original - or at least the solid “EMG” style covers on the pickups aren’t.

still a lovely bass.

Edited by AndyTravis

Have one exactly the same, traded with Karl as mentioned above. Stunning basses both to play and aesthetically, however in truth, I hardly play it these days as the band I'm in now I'm fully aboard with Precision nowadays...that said, would still take A LOT for me to even consider moving it on...think it's a keeper...👍

Thanks all for the comments and info. After a few deep breaths I took the neck off and got the bridge pup out. 

So its not just plastic covers over the pup. The plastic cover has the holes for the screws so you can't just remove them. So I guess these are not the originals. No markings or numbers on the pup.

Also took the neck off and took pics. Confirms its a 2002. See below.

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

• MB1 locked this topic