Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a Harley Benton pb50

Wilson_51_

I wish I had painting skills. I would love to change the colour of one or two basses. This makeover is just so good. 

When I worked on the buildings one brickie I laboured on was very fond of saying (of decorators - a breed he saw as inferior) 'If you can gypsy's kiss, you can paint'. It was just one of many quaint colloquialisms with which he tried to educate me. After witnessing my efforts with a 4 inch distemper brush he advised me to see a urologist. 

• Haha 4

I saw one YouTuber made a spray booth out of one of those plastic thingies lidl sell for putting your tomatoes in. So I can't claim lack of space. Another guy clamped a piece of wood in a bicycle repair stand attached to the body so he could have it just the right height and flat to apply stain. 

Some clever folk out there. 

• Like 2

On 28/02/2019 at 20:31, simon88wilson said:

I have a bit of solder experience (I build my own effects pedals) so rewired using CTS pots and vintage style wire (note that I dislike this wire as it breaks easily and is hard to strip) 

Just on this point, by vintage style wire, i assume you mean the waxy cloth covered wire? If so, its designed to be pushed back to expose the wire to be soldered, and is sometimes referred to as "push back wire". While i know you've finished the bass, which looks excellent and very smartly done, at least you know for the future. As a side note, i use the vintage cloth wire as much as i can, as i'm a sucker for neat and tidy vintage wiring.

On 01/08/2020 at 18:12, stewblack said:

I saw one YouTuber made a spray booth out of one of those plastic thingies lidl sell for putting your tomatoes in. So I can't claim lack of space. Another guy clamped a piece of wood in a bicycle repair stand attached to the body so he could have it just the right height and flat to apply stain. 

Some clever folk out there. 

Tomato plant thing £9.99 from ebay.

NomQ7kH.jpg

Rotating holder.   3M of poly pipe (£2.19), compression Tee piece (£2.47). Body is fixed to the arm by a plate, bit smaller than the pocket, arm rests on the middle frame support. Long pipe slips over the base of a guitar tripod stand, tool bag is used for ballast. Drape a dust sheet over the top and you're good to go.

Gnwstzb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...