Why become a member? ×

“How do you know it’s original?”

Chewie

Hey groovers,

Somebody came to look at a bass I’m selling, last Saturday.  Very nice chap, I might add.

Anyway, the case for this particular bass is in stupidly good condition.  The guy I bought the bass from was a private collector & he had all the iconic basses in his house, like a little museum.

Anyway, on Saturday, the chap viewing the bass said “How do you know it’s original?”  He had a good point & I didn’t really have an answer.

It tickled me & I went off, squirrelling around in websites in search of some truth.

I’ve got 3 different basses from three Fender “eras” & I’ve photographed the same parts of them to distinguish changes that happened to the cases in just 10 years, I think.

Here’s the pictures of my 1967 Jazz bass case for your perusal, if anyone’s still awake at this point.

I’m showing the logo, the position of the logo, the hinges & the handle of the case.

79E3A78F-F322-4DF6-B574-DB7E8D4E02A4.jpeg

8DC043EF-64BC-4CC0-88E8-C275674570A3.jpeg

62735FE9-0D36-4C6D-A758-157507B13C03.jpeg

E04703B3-AEA4-497C-BF5D-28272831055A.jpeg

I don’t think it’s a dull thread chewie , having the original case with the bass can only add value,  because Ive been looking for a vintage jb for a while now and I want one with the original case and I would pay more for that ,       but I wouldn’t know what it should look like,        I wonder if the cases can be dated in any way by the fender logo 🙂

On 28/02/2019 at 20:59, Reggaebass said:

I don’t think it’s a dull thread chewie , having the original case with the bass can only add value,  because Ive been looking for a vintage jb for a while now and I want one with the original case and I would pay more for that ,       but I wouldn’t know what it should look like,        I wonder if the cases can be dated in any way by the fender logo 🙂

There should be a vintage instrument and amplification Bash......

6 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I've just counted the stitches and I'm sure the 67 case is from June of that year, they added an extra stitch for each month to identify them. 

I don’t think you’re taking this seriously!!!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here you go........... this is exactly where this thread is coming from.............

This guy has a 1964 P bass in a late seventies case......

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/vintage-1964-fender-precision-bass...pre-cbs..../1331774823

A lot of bass and cases are seperated and therefore, technically speaking not original, to the instrument.  Apparently, a lot of guitars and basses came to the UK without cases originally, which is why we're all looking for them.

Here's another one........... this beautiful P bass, which I'm tempted to bid on, has a mid sixties case with it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Precision-Bass-1977-Original-Olympic-White-WHSC-Vintage-Beautiful/303075388618?hash=item4690b36cca:g:6eEAAOSwOIxcdAq4

Edited by Chewie