Why become a member? ×

Yamaha TRB 4 Preamp Replacement

bigthumb

A good while back I bought an old MiJ series 1 Yamaha TRB4 with the intention to get back into playing in bands. Anyhow that never transpired and the bass was left in its gig bag and pretty much forgotten about.

It was weeks after that I dug it out and started playing it. I put new strings on, set it up. After playing it though a good amp I realised that, well, it wasn't that good to be honest. I was told that the preamp has a mid frequency select on the circuit board so I unscrewed the back plate to have a nose. It was pretty obvious the the Yammy preamp had been replaced with a pretty cheap and basic one. So back in the gig bag it went and pretty much forgotten about again....

I think its about time I did something with what is a really nice bass. So, what preamp would be suitable or you'd recommend? Would it be best to replace the Yamaha pups as well? The controls are: Volume, Blend and a 3 band eq. Nothing stacked, no push/pull. 5 knobs in all!  

I have never replaced any hardware like this before so I really don't have a clue! 

If you're just looking for something cheap and cheerful, the Artecs are OK - I've put a couple of the 4-pot versions of these into Bass Collections.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/artec_se3_basselektronik.htm

and there is also a version called the SE3P which has a sweepable mid boost/cut.

If you want to spend a bit more, Nordstrand and Glockenklang would be good choices.

• Thanks 1

If budget can extend a bit further I still think of the John East circuits as the Rolls Royce of preamps.  I have a fretted Zoot with an East Uni-Pre and fretless with a Noll.  Similar (active) controls - Bass and Treble cut and boost and a mid cut/boost with sweepable frequency.  I've no idea why but I prefer the East by quite some margin; it just sounds more musical to me.

• Like 1

I think the East option is a bit over budget for me. I've had a bass with one in and yeah, they are very good. I don't mind paying up to £150. Ive been looking on BassDirects site where there's a good selection. Barts, Nordstrand, Augilar and Glockenklang all within my budget. Will these preamps work with the Yamaha pickups or will they need changing? 

Glockenklang (even if I love their preamps) don't work well with Yamaha pickups, strangely. Bartolini is working great with Yamaha pickups, Aguilar too, but it has too much of everything in the end, and the Nordstrand preamps are to me a bit too expensive, but their pickups are terrific and expensive too. ;)

Is your TRB-4 the one with the Jazz Bass like pickups (if it's a first generation) ?

Maybe you've got a picture.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Glockenklang (even if I love their preamps) don't work well with Yamaha pickups, strangely. Bartolini is working great with Yamaha pickups, Aguilar too, but it has too much of everything in the end, and the Nordstrand preamps are to me a bit too expensive, but their pickups are terrific and expensive too. ;)

Is your TRB-4 the one with the Jazz Bass like pickups (if it's a first generation) ?

Maybe you've got a picture.

I don't have a picture at the moment but yes it has the Jazz pickups. What pickups would you recommend with the Glockenklang preamp? 

Guest Marcoelwray

IMVHO, a TRB should passive... I would go for Delano, because of their good output gain and ability to sound very nicely in passive mode.

I just have a in stock jazz set of JC 4 AL for 183 euros so 157,50£ free shipped. This is the "vintage" Delano pickup, nicely setup between 60s and 70s jazz bass sounds. 

But Hellzero 's solution is really a good option too. And for the preamp if you really want one, I'd go for Glockenklang too.

• 1 year later...