Why become a member? ×

ACS Pro Hearing Protection - Help me choose

Ghost_Bass

On 28/02/2019 at 14:40, Ghost_Bass said:

Hi, i'm in the process of getting a pair of hearing protectors. I've set on the ACS due, mostly, to the good reviews here on Basschat. I do need some input on which model should i choose. I'm between the ACS Pro 17 and the ACS Pro 15 models:
https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/pro-series/pro-17
https://www.acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/pro-series/pro-15
I'm playing in a covers band that has a very wide set-list, from soft to funk/soul to hard rock, if needed  (we can start the gig with "Ain't no Sunshine" and end it with "Highway to Hell"). Our band lives from our interaction on stage and we often need to communicate with each other mid song. From the specs it seems that the 17 are more suitable for me as they have more attenuation, resulting in less hearing damage from the cymbals but i don't know if it will have an impact on my ability to hear the rest of the band members talking to me mid song.

The 17 has a flat response -17dB attenuation all across the board, the 15 model has a -12dB attenuation in the mid-range that slopes to -15dB in the high region. On paper i prefer the flat response, my bass sound and bass gear is as FRFR as i could find.

So i'm reaching out to BC to help me get some insides from those who are using them live and have had some experience with them. Will i be fine with the 17? Will they affect the communication with the rest of the band?

Cheers

I use the 17db ones, I think they give me pretty decent attenuation and I can talk to people with them on. Very happy with them.

On 28/02/2019 at 19:36, wateroftyne said:

I just got my PRO15's for 40 quid via the Musicians' Hearing Scheme...

https://www.musicianshearingservices.co.uk/musicians-hearing-scheme/

This is the place to get them done - great service and much cheaper.  

I even got my right one coloured red (red for right) so if I need to whip them in in a hurry mid set / song I can do it without trying to figure out which ear is which!!

-15 shouldn’t cause you any trouble with hearing your band mates talk or hearing your bass. It just brings everything down to a manageable volume. Honestly believe that most people’s issues with them are psychological - too me a while to get used to having them in - felt odd / wierd being a bit isolated from band but it’s great when you get used to them. 

Somebody mentioned too about bringing the bass forward. My opinion is that when you use earplugs it really reduces all the top end of the cymbals which really strains the ears and as a result everything clears up and the bass becomes much clearer :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

I even got my right one coloured red (red for right) so if I need to whip them in in a hurry mid set / song I can do it without trying to figure out which ear is which!!

My ears are so different I can tell which one is left /right without even seeing them.

i would consider cutting a notch out of one if they were the same , popping them in and out with my eyesight in a dark gig would be a pantomime :D

5 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

I even got my right one coloured red (red for right) so if I need to whip them in in a hurry mid set / song I can do it without trying to figure out which ear is which.

This grates with me.  On a ship, the red light is the port (left) light.  I'd feel better having the right ear plug coloured GREEN. :)  How sad am I? :(

Frank.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, machinehead said:

This grates with me.  On a ship, the red light is the port (left) light.  I'd feel better having the right ear plug coloured GREEN. :)  How sad am I? :(

Frank.

A lot. :laugh1: I can feel some sailor jokes coming along now. :biggrin:

• Haha 1