Why become a member? ×

'54 Precision in Cash Converters...

Muppet

Not sure if this is the most appropriate forum but I was rather surprised to see a bass such as this listed at a Cash Converters.  I immediately wondered if anyone knew of such a guitar that had maybe gone 'missing'.....

If I was nearer Bristol I'd love to go and look at it!

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/product/fender-1954-precision-bass-butterscotch-blond-superb-all-original-example/207662?list=Search results

Not sure I can see anyone walking into Cash Converters in Bedington and parting with £12k. Yes, a reissue/bitsa with perhaps one of those neckplates you can buy on eBay with a era-specific Fender serial number. I've seen better shops that Cash Converters fooled by that trick (mentioning no names of course). 

• Like 3

If that's a genuine "all original" '54 P bass then not only has it never been played, it's spent the last 60 odd years locked up in a darkened climate controlled vault.

It looks like it's just come out of the factory.

It's surely got to be a fake.

Edited by Cato

6 hours ago, Beedster said:

Not sure I can see anyone walking into Cash Converters in Bedington and parting with £12k. Yes, a reissue/bitsa with perhaps one of those neckplates you can buy on eBay with a era-specific Fender serial number. I've seen better shops that Cash Converters fooled by that trick (mentioning no names of course). 

It's probably got 'Limelight 0086' in Sharpie on the back. 

1 minute ago, Jono Bolton said:

I was sceptical at first, and I still am, but that particular CC has some really weird old basses in at the minutes, including Mosrite, Jaydee, and Hayman:

https://www.cashconverters.co.uk/shop/bass-guitars/6438?orderby=date&max=48&order=desc&page=2

They had a Les Paul Signature in there too... I think someone just came in with their whole bass collection, or sadly passed away.

In the spirit of their typical 100% markup, did they really buy a bass off someone for over £6k??  I think not.

No reason to see why its not genuine, but I bet a widow or otherwise vulnerable person has been fleeced here.

• Sad 2

stinky poos got desperate to take something worth that much to a Cash Converters as there's no way they got even half of that for taking it in 😅🙈

Potentially stolen? Possible enough it doesn't seem the right place for something of this nature to turn up. 

Fake? Lol, if it is, well done to whoever has done this, if it is 😂 I hope they got enough out the tight fisted basterds lol 

This will be legit.

It's a Guitar Shop owner in Bristol (Electric Ladyland) who when he's short of a bob or two, often pawns his gear. Remarkable but true: you should see some of the gear in his shop (Gibson EB1, Hagstrom 8 Strings, John Birch Rics  to name a few- all of which he won't sell!)

Keep an eye on Bedminster Cash Converters and you'd be amazed what ends up in there. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

This will be legit.

It's a Guitar Shop owner in Bristol (Electric Ladyland) who when he's short of a bob or two, often pawns his gear. Remarkable but true: you should see some of the gear in his shop (Gibson EB1, Hagstrom 8 Strings, John Birch Rics, Jayden's to name a few- all of which he won't sell!)

Keep an eye on Bedminster Cash Converters and you'd be amazed what ends up in there. 

Does he sell anything at all? My mate tried to buy an old EHX pedal off him for months. He gave up in the end. When we go to gigs at the Exchange we often go and see what's in the Electric Ladyland museum...

I have a look in the Bedminster store every time I'm in the area, seen some amazing gear in there. But never a bargain...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Does he sell anything at all? My mate tried to buy an old EHX pedal off him for months. He gave up in the end. When we go to gigs at the Exchange we often go and see what's in the Electric Ladyland museum...

I have a look in the Bedminster store every time I'm in the area, seen some amazing gear in there. But never a bargain...

One of my mates actually managed to prise a Warwick Corvette 5 String from him once but I reckon they was a one-off. 

Interesting chap indeed

16 hours ago, Beedster said:

Yes, a reissue/bitsa with perhaps one of those neckplates you can buy on eBay with a era-specific Fender serial number.

My brother gave me a battered strat to fiddle with. I looked up the serial number and told him the good news. He enjoyed much hilarity at my naiveté*

*horay for spill chickens!

• 1 year later...

People must really stupid .. do you really think any shop would pay a lot of money for a fake or stolen guitar and then put it on line so everyone could see it ?

Quite clearly they would have a expert look over it and be 100 % sure that the person they were  buying it off is ok and it was there  item to sell .  you really have to wonder if people use common sense sometimes

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, fender 68 said:

People must really stupid .. do you really think any shop would pay a lot of money for a fake or stolen guitar and then put it on line so everyone could see it ?

Quite clearly they would have a expert look over it and be 100 % sure that the person they were  buying it off is ok and it was there  item to sell .  you really have to wonder if people use common sense sometimes

Hi - welcome to the forum. 

Bit of an odd first post...

its cash converters- there’s decades of posts on basschat of stolen guitars being found there Or similar shops... the famous example being Scott’s Moollon being sold by cash generators... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fender 68 said:

Yes, people must (be) really stupid :)

• Haha 6

7 hours ago, fender 68 said:

Did you just land here from another planet ?!?

• Haha 1