Why become a member? ×

Hello from Kent

Steve_M

Hi All! I decided to sign up after being a forum lurker for some time. Been a bass player for 38 years now, playing in many bands / sessions and some touring. I've owned quite a bit of gear over the years but I've thinned down to 'just' 4 basses now! Still can't bring myself to keep a 5'er though. Looking forward to contributing to the conversation 🙂

3 hours ago, Steve_M said:

Hi - I'm near Tunbridge Wells

I was born in Dover and grew up in Deal, but I still have relatives who live near Tunbridge Wells. ( As it happens they live just across the border in East Sussex but I try not to hold it against them.:))

Welcome to the forum; you’ve come to the right place.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bigsmokebass said:

Welcome to the forum Steve, 

Hope you're well and enjoying being a member 😉🏻

Would love to know what basses you play, gear and about some of the bands. Fill us in on who you are. 

Enjoy your stay

Big Smoke 

Thanks Big Smoke. The forums are great - I'm looking forward to contributing.

So, the gear..

My #1 is a Fodera Monarch 4 string bolt on which I've had for about 14 years, love it. My 'go-to' gig warrior is a 2014 US Fender Jazz 4 string, Olympic white/Rosewood/Tort with Aguilar HC pups. My beater is a Fender Nate Mendel P Bass, CAR with tort scratchplate & Lindy Fralin pup, strung with D'Addario Tapes (sounds awesome) and #4 is a 2004 Fender Jaco Fretless I got from Andy Baxter a few years ago. Amp wise I've had all sorts over the years but my current favourite is my Mark Bass CMD121 combo & NYC121 extension cab - just seems to suit all the gigs I currently do better than my Aguilar TH500 rig (which I've posted for sale on the forums - but maybe went a bit early with that as no-one knows me so it'll probably stick around a bit). Too many pedals to mention but always on my board is my Origin Effects Cali76 Bass Comp - best compressor I've ever had (and I've had loads!).

I'm always in a few bands at any one time but my long term (25 years so far!) gig has been with a rock/funk originals band called The Varlies. We've had varying degrees of success over the years but it's still good fun, which is the most important part I guess. I've also been doing bass duties for The Paul Dunton Orchestra for the last 4 years - loads of good gigs/festivals & tours with them and a much different dynamic to a rock band. Various other projects/sessions/deps & jams are always ongoing! Then there's the family & the day job......... 😉

Hope that fills you in a bit more without sending you to sleep!

Steve

• Like 1

Great place (here, and Kent) - enjoy. I've only been here a few weeks but bought one bass, come very close to another amp, and got a lot of good advice. Obviously the 'for sale' listings are deep dark traps for the unwary... just sayin'

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Great place (here, and Kent) - enjoy. I've only been here a few weeks but bought one bass, come very close to another amp, and got a lot of good advice. Obviously the 'for sale' listings are deep dark traps for the unwary... just sayin'

Ye, I figured that after I posted 🤦‍♂️. Ah well, it'll find a good home eventually (my want for a Sadowsky 5 will have to be just that!). Also, howdy neighbour from just up the hill 🙂

• Like 1

On 28/02/2019 at 15:50, leftybassman392 said:

I was born in Dover and grew up in Deal, but I still have relatives who live near Tunbridge Wells. ( As it happens they live just across the border in East Sussex but I try not to hold it against them.:))

Welcome to the forum; you’ve come to the right place.

welcome,

I live in Deal too!!

strangely not playing friday or saturday but there is bound to be something on at Cin Cins. (depending when you were last about it may have changed it's name)

The Stag in Walmer will have something (glam rock band, not seen them yet)

Bound to be something cool at The Lighthouse (was the Lord Nelson)

How long since you left the mighty Deal?

Just now, police squad said:

strangely not playing friday or saturday but there is bound to be something on at Cin Cins. (depending when you were last about it may have changed it's name)

The Stag in Walmer will have something (glam rock band, not seen them yet)

Bound to be something cool at The Lighthouse (was the Lord Nelson)

How long since you left the mighty Deal?

Crikey! A lifetime ago. Used to live on St. Richards Road down at the Mongeham end. Left for good on my 20th birthday. That was 45 years ago.

We used to go back to visit one of my sisters pretty regularly, but when she died last year our reason for going largely went with her. I have another sister in St. Margaret's but we don't get on really.

We have some family matters to attend to during the day but will be in town in the evening. May check out some of the places you mentioned, but will probably wind up somewhere for a meal (prob. Frog&Scot or No.81). If you think you might be up for a beer or a bite, then PM me your mobile and we'll see what we can organise.

On 03/03/2019 at 16:02, Kevsy71 said:

Welcome from up the road in Tonbridge Steve!

1 hour ago, police squad said:

I live in Deal too!!

Grief - there's a whole gang of bass players close by! 
Really like your Aguilar rig Steve, but a bit over-spec for my needs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, leftybassman392 said:

Crikey! A lifetime ago. Used to live on St. Richards Road down at the Mongeham end. Left for good on my 20th birthday. That was 45 years ago.

We used to go back to visit one of my sisters pretty regularly, but when she died last year our reason for going largely went with her. I have another sister in St. Margaret's but we don't get on really.

We have some family matters to attend to during the day but will be in town in the evening. May check out some of the places you mentioned, but will probably wind up somewhere for a meal (prob. Frog&Scot or No.81). If you think you might be up for a beer or a bite, then PM me your mobile and we'll see what we can organise.

I lived in st margs most of my life, been in Deal nearly 4 years.

I havent tried the frog n scot yet. Deal has certainly changed in the past few years, with all the DFLs but it has brought a raft of new bars and 'I saw you coming' shops lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soledad said:

Grief - there's a whole gang of bass players close by! 
Really like your Aguilar rig Steve, but a bit over-spec for my needs.

Yep we're inundated with low end masters in these parts! Always good if you need to find a dep at short notice ;-). The Aggie is a fab rig, although it seems like I might be trading it in now against a new axe - roll on Friday 🙂