Why become a member? ×

BASS SYNTH

The GroovyPlucker

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You may be interested in “the journey” but all roads eventually lead to the Future Impact (and then ultimately to keys).

...and then you remember you cant play the keys and its back to the future impact :)

• Haha 2

As many have mentions, 'classic' synth sounds can be achieved with cheap gated fuzz, envelope filter & octave down pedals.
Other than that, for a one pedal solution, quite frankly I've not heard better than the Meris Enzo

Si

yeah, just looking at the meris, very expensive again, all roads pointing to the EHX for now, plus don't want a pedal where I have to be phaffing about dialling in all the time, one with some presets would be grand, although the ehx has onlt 1, I think I can live with it, the Future Impact would probably be the one next when I've saved my paper round money.....

39 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Not true with the Future Impact, you can create patches which preserve the dry bass signal too, running synth and bass in parallel. The synth doesn’t even need to necessarily be in unison either. Actually, the forthcoming update includes an advanced chord mode whereby you can play chords and a bass note and use a footswitch to change chord type on the fly.

Well, I use 2 channels, so I can keep the dry signal, but it's still in unison playing the same notes.

Now, if the Future Impact can add in some randomness, then that's no bad thing.

But if you are having to do a dance on the pedal you might as well go for a Taurus or something; The Keith McMillen 12-Step allows you to assign 5 notes to each pedal.

54 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

You may be interested in “the journey” but all roads eventually lead to the Future Impact (and then ultimately to keys). Seriously, save yourself the headache, time and money and buy a Future Impact. (Meris Enzo is a close-ish second.)

So you might as well leave out the playing with putting your bass through pedals and being disappointed and go straight for a keyboard synth.

49 minutes ago, GisserD said:

...and then you remember you cant play the keys and its back to the future impact :)

If you can use a computer keyboard or a phone with a touch screen you already have all the rudiments for playing a keyboard synth. I've got close to zero keyboard technique, and need to use both hands to play lots of thing that any competent keys player could do with a single hand, put the end result is still vastly superior compared with trying to do the same thing with a bass and pedals. 

17 minutes ago, prowla said:

Well, I use 2 channels, so I can keep the dry signal, but it's still in unison playing the same notes.

Now, if the Future Impact can add in some randomness, then that's no bad thing.

But if you are having to do a dance on the pedal you might as well go for a Taurus or something; The Keith McMillen 12-Step allows you to assign 5 notes to each pedal.

You can set up the patches however you like and simply engage them via the footswitch or midi commands. It will always play in parallel (intervallically speaking) but the offset can be whatever you like. 

34 minutes ago, The GroovyPlucker said:

I'd go future impact but it's soooo expensive, £115 vs £300+ is an algorithm that favours the former with me at the mo...

It’s well worth the extra. It does so much. If you don’t like programming, you can simply download patches that others have shared.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

If you don’t like programming, you can simply download patches that others have shared.  

I've never understood this. To me it's a like saying you don't like turning the knobs on your amp or bass, and just use them how they came when you bought them.

29 minutes ago, The GroovyPlucker said:

yeah, just looking at the meris, very expensive again, all roads pointing to the EHX for now, plus don't want a pedal where I have to be phaffing about dialling in all the time, one with some presets would be grand, although the ehx has onlt 1, I think I can live with it, the Future Impact would probably be the one next when I've saved my paper round money.....

Enzo has 16 presets but requires extra outlay to access them. FI has 99 with no extra. 

Just now, BigRedX said:

I've never understood this. To me it's a like saying you don't like turning the knobs on your amp or bass, and just use them how they came when you bought them.

I meant deep programming via the editor. There are plenty of synth players who simply pay others to do the programming (including Herbie Hancock).

1 minute ago, Quatschmacher said:

You can do the programming at home and then simply jump to your saved presets when playing live. 

true, but again that's on the more expensive units with more presets, would go that way if I could afford, have to get a tuner & distortion pedal yet, will only get about £80 for my Zoom B3 now, just seen an EHX Bass Soul Food which looks to do all I want Distortion/Gain wise, ohhh, monies, monies,monies, still have to finance a big baby 2 cab as well....

3 minutes ago, The GroovyPlucker said:

true, but again that's on the more expensive units with more presets, would go that way if I could afford, have to get a tuner & distortion pedal yet, will only get about £80 for my Zoom B3 now, just seen an EHX Bass Soul Food which looks to do all I want Distortion/Gain wise, ohhh, monies, monies,monies, still have to finance a big baby 2 cab as well....

The future Impact has a built-in tuner and does distortion if that helps. 

Also worth pointing out that the FI is also a keyboard synth if you hook it up to a midi controller keyboard (like a Keystep).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

The future Impact has a built-in tuner and does distortion if that helps. 

Also worth pointing out that the FI is also a keyboard synth if you hook it up to a midi controller keyboard (like a Keystep).

just re-reading up on it, might be worth another look, oh jeez my bank account...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

If you can use a computer keyboard or a phone with a touch screen you already have all the rudiments for playing a keyboard synth. I've got close to zero keyboard technique, and need to use both hands to play lots of thing that any competent keys player could do with a single hand, put the end result is still vastly superior compared with trying to do the same thing with a bass and pedals. 

agreed. until you start playing more than one note at a time.

• Haha 1

Bottom line is that most of us on this forum are bass players and not keys players and might not have any particular wish to take up keys. Sometimes that gets lost in this discussion. 

Synth bass was originally a way for bands to manage with just a synth and vocals. They would often have electronic drums too. Soft Cell would be a classic example. 

What we're talking about here is a 'normal' covers band that wants to add a bit of synth bass to a few tracks and has a bass player who is keen to do it. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Bottom line is that most of us on this forum are bass players and not keys players and might not have any particular wish to take up keys. Sometimes that gets lost in this discussion. 

Synth bass was originally a way for bands to manage with just a synth and vocals. They would often have electronic drums too. Soft Cell would be a classic example. 

What we're talking about here is a 'normal' covers band that wants to add a bit of synth bass to a few tracks and has a bass player who is keen to do it. 

that's just it, agreed with the soft cell, just finished doing whitney/ i wanna dance with somebody, plenty of keys, bass is a bass synth, also looking to nail commodores/nightshift, know there's lots of discussion elsewhere on that one, might try emulate paul young/pino palladino, again, another long involved discussion for another day, but the likes of chaka khan, heaven 17, human league, plus many more, all can use a reasonably basic bass synth sound, not getting bogged down in individual nuances etc....

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If you are really interested in synth bass lines, I wouldn't be looking at pedals, I'd be checking out the likes of the Moog Sub Phatty.

I’d almost agree fully (and Sub Phatty is awsome; Minitaur is also a good choice) except that the Future Impact is a synth that happens to be in pedal format. 

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

As many have mentions, 'classic' synth sounds can be achieved with cheap gated fuzz, envelope filter & octave down pedals.
Other than that, for a one pedal solution, quite frankly I've not heard better than the Meris Enzo

Si

Enzo sounds great and has the advantage that all the sounds can be programmed directly from the pedal. However, it has some drawbacks - very limited envelope shaping options, neccessity of purchasing extra gear to access (only 16) presets, no master volume control and the bizarre feature that automatically saves the preset when you use any shift function.

I’m not convinced it sounds better than the FI, just different. The SVF is a welcome bonus in the Enzo. 

• Thanks 1

Another option could be the line 6 M5. They go for very cheap these days and have all the synth and filter sounds of the FM 4, purple stomp box modeller, plus the others too. I used to have the FM 4 years ago that I used with an expression pedal with for a live drum and bass band. I've been thinking  about buying the m5  just to have those sounds again plus the delays and modulation stuff. Effects that I'd never use enough to buy a standalone stomp box for.

You can actually download the line 6 vst as a free trial to try out if you have a computer interface.

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Bottom line is that most of us on this forum are bass players and not keys players . . . .

That is the definition of a bass guitarist. I know there a lot of guys here that just signed up to play like their heroes, but there are also guys who want to be bass players. No one has a problem with the concept of doubling on electric and double bass, so why not include keys. Check out super serious players like Alex Al and Brandon Gilliard, Nate Watts etc.

• Like 2