Why become a member? ×

BASS SYNTH

The GroovyPlucker

There was also a positive review from @moley6knipe on the pedal board thread:

11 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Al: I like the mono synth.... we do a few numbers like Material Girl by Madonna where it’s great for getting most of the way towards the sound of the original. And coz there’s only me and one guitar it really helps fill out the breakdowns. True, if you want a real bass synth then, erm, buy a synth 😄 but honestly for £115 it was a no brainer. Tracking is fine (if you work on your muting technique), and the preset store, edit and recall is dead easy. It’s a keeper!

I bought a future impact and messed around with it for a while. Programming is a pain. And when you get a great lounge sound, it doesn't cut it at gigs. However this is my opinion, and I know a lot of guys love them. And it made me realize I don't like the monophonic thing!  Not tried the SY-300, which is poly. Maybe a Roland GR55 is the way to go.

54 minutes ago, Chopthebass said:

I bought a future impact and messed around with it for a while. Programming is a pain. And when you get a great lounge sound, it doesn't cut it at gigs. However this is my opinion, and I know a lot of guys love them. And it made me realize I don't like the monophonic thing!  Not tried the SY-300, which is poly. Maybe a Roland GR55 is the way to go.

And maybe the new Source Audio 'C4' synth pedal could be worth checking out, too.

Interested to hear a bit more about why you don't feel it cuts it at gigs?

2 hours ago, Chopthebass said:

Do you mean having to program via a PC is a pain? If so, I agree. Or do you mean the FI editor is a pain to use? If so, I can sympathise as it is a bit daunting at first but it’s actually pretty intuitive and straightforward once you figure a few things out and way easier to program on than other stuff (I’m looking at you, Octavius Squeezer). The process of putting patches onto the pedal is the part I find most cumbersome; a drag-and-drop interface would be a huge improvement. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:50, Quatschmacher said:

Do you mean having to program via a PC is a pain? If so, I agree. Or do you mean the FI editor is a pain to use? If so, I can sympathise as it is a bit daunting at first but it’s actually pretty intuitive and straightforward once you figure a few things out and way easier to program on than other stuff (I’m looking at you, Octavius Squeezer). The process of putting patches onto the pedal is the part I find most cumbersome; a drag-and-drop interface would be a huge improvement. 

It is the PC part that was a PITA.

• 2 months later...
On 28/02/2019 at 09:13, GisserD said:

If you can hold on until April, the new source audio synth pedal is likely to be in the £140 - £160 price range if their other 1series pedals are anything to go by. 

Ahhh if only... 🙄

On 02/03/2019 at 12:21, ped said:

Yep zero latency. Only thing is it doesn’t work polyphonically so you have to be quite accurate to avoid glitching, though it’s very impressive and glitches can sound cool

Comment above was in relation to the SY-300, which I'm pretty sure is polyphonic? 

On 02/05/2019 at 20:06, Chopthebass said:

If you're after a compact poly synth capability with great tracking then check out the Boss SY-1. I've sold my FI to make way for this on my board.

On 02/05/2019 at 20:06, Chopthebass said:

I bought a future impact and messed around with it for a while. Programming is a pain. 

Yup.

Edited by Al Krow

Ok I've just re-read this thread from start to finish (hence my random posts and comments above during the course of today! 😀) What surprised me is that not one of us BC bass synth pedal lovers suggested / recommended the Digitech Dirty Robot

It's in the same budget price bracket as the EHX Bass Mono Synth and like the EHX (and HX Stomp) would seem to be a digital synth 'emulation' pedal rather than having actual synth oscillators (e.g. in the way that the FI does).

But for the money it does look to be good and has a good reputation, from comments on the net, for both tracking and for providing a couple of gigable sounds. 

The Dirty Robot has been out since 2016 (same year as the FI) - anyone had / got one?

I checked out the Digitech Dirty Robot today. Had a similar reaction to @Jonathan Beepreviously had to it, which is broadly that it's a bit meh as a synth albeit, IMO, a very elegantly crafted piece of kit. 

Found there was a little volume drop-off in filter mode which was more pronounced than in 'synth' mode (and where I found there was very little vol drop off). Filter was not too bad, but not in the same league as the SA Manta - and given I have a Manta I can't really justify holding on to the Dirty Robot.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1