Why become a member? ×

BASS SYNTH

The GroovyPlucker

6 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Tbf - I've been nagging Q-thingy to get a pedalboard and a decent amp and cab to play his lush collection of pedals and amazing synths through for an aeon. He's nearly got around to it. But his priorities are his priorities. It's all good.

Because you know it makes sense in your head to have everything hooked up and available to play. Same logic from me is all. 

Edited by krispn

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Hello devilCam 😈

Now let me see... I'm fortunate to have a 25 lbs Mesa M6 which knocks any D class head I've ever come across out of the park. I have a VK 210 LNT cab which is just awesome, but for some reason the kit I take to rehearsals and gigs is a DG M900 and a 21lbs BF SC. 

Did someone just mention "ultra-portability"?? Definitely not a thing for me, at all ... ever  😁

Aaaaaaaaand to answer Cam’s question.......

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And when you got your 4th octaver Cam, remind me just what extra that delivered? 😄 

I think of my octavers like different oscillator flavours, in the same way that on a synth you’d choose between Square/Sawtooth/Sine etc depending on the texture you’re after sonically. If you recall, I sold one or two of my octavers which covered similar ground to other pedals I owned - got rid of the Digitech Bass Synth Wah because the Octave sounded quite similar to my Aguilar Octamizer and got rid of my Emma Okto Nøjs because it covered similar sonic ground to my 3Leaf Octabvre Mini. My current trio all sound totally different to each other, just as I would expect different oscillator wave shapes on my synth to be.

Basically what I’m saying is almost everything the Kolrg Volca Bass can do, you already have the ability to do with your JD, and more. Just trying to be the voice of reason.

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yes but you're like 6'10", so most things would fall into that camp for you. 

😂

6’8” actually but my point about the JDXi’s portability would still stand if I were 4’10”!

37 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I think of my octavers like different oscillator flavours, in the same way that on a synth you’d choose between Square/Sawtooth/Sine etc depending on the texture you’re after sonically. If you recall, I sold one or two of my octavers which covered similar ground to other pedals I owned - got rid of the Digitech Bass Synth Wah because the Octave sounded quite similar to my Aguilar Octamizer and got rid of my Emma Okto Nøjs because it covered similar sonic ground to my 3Leaf Octabvre Mini. My current trio all sound totally different to each other, just as I would expect different oscillator wave shapes on my synth to be.

Basically what I’m saying is almost everything the Korg Volca Bass can do, you already have the ability to do with your JD, and more. Just trying to be the voice of reason.

6’8” actually but my point about the JDXi’s portability would still stand if I were 4’10”!

All fair points and extremely 'reasonable'.

The same logic applies, of course, to getting more than one P bass though. Why bother? Just get one P bass and have done with it, right? Everything you can do on one you can do on the other.

I'm sure you won't miss the missing 2" 

Just wear heels.

PS if you want a more detailed explanation as to why the Korg Volca Bass as well as the JD Xi - see my earlier post when I discussed this in a bit more detail. It's all to do with the UI (which is a bit of pain on the JD Xi) and 'accessibility'.  A parallel would be the difference between a Fwonkbeta and a SA Manta; one is a lot quicker and easier to get your head around; the other does a lot more for sure.

Oh yes and one is analogue (Volca Bass) and the other digital (JD Xi) - but that may not be a biggie. I guess I'll be finding out! :) 

Edited by Al Krow

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

The same logic applies, of course, to getting more than one P bass though. Why bother? Just get one P bass and have done with it, right? Everything you can do on one you can do on the other.

Flats vs rounds, obvs xD

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

PS if you want a more detailed explanation as to why the Korg Volca Bass as well as the JD Xi - see my earlier post when I discussed this in a bit more detail. It's all to do with the UI (which is a bit of pain on the JD Xi) and 'accessibility'.  A parallel would be the difference between a Fwonkbeta and a SA Manta; one is a lot quicker and easier to get your head around; the other does a lot more for sure.

I get you. All fair points there.

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Oh yes and one is analogue (Volca Bass) and the other digital (JD Xi) - but that may not be a biggie. I guess I'll be finding out! :) 

Lest we forget the JDXi’s analogue oscillator section!

• Like 1

Guess what the turned up on my doorstep today? 

Korg Volca Bass.jpg

Did anyone say ultra-portable?! Well it really is! 

Comes with 6 AA batteries and can live on a corner of my desk and I can listen through a pair of headphones. So in terms of barriers to getting to grips with the basics of synth, I think this little Stylophone has just removed a few :) 

Edited by Al Krow

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Let’s hope it doesn’t stay there as a doorstop. 

It's too light** and would be ineffective in such a capacity.

**the technical term is ultra-portable.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I love bass synth. I have owned a Novation bass station 2 but sold it on as i'm a bass player and didn't have enough hands to play both on a gig. I then bought a Future Impact. Great pedal. The problem is that the band i'm in now doesn't require (or suit) synth sounds. I can't justify keeping the FI for home noodling so expect my FI to appear in the effects for sale section soon! There....now I've said it, i'd better do something about it.

29 minutes ago, mr zed said:

I love bass synth. I have owned a Novation bass station 2 but sold it on as i'm a bass player and didn't have enough hands to play both on a gig. I then bought a Future Impact. Great pedal. The problem is that the band i'm in now doesn't require (or suit) synth sounds. I can't justify keeping the FI for home noodling so expect my FI to appear in the effects for sale section soon! There....now I've said it, i'd better do something about it.

Oh dear. PM Incoming...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Oh dear. PM Incoming...

32 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Don’t pass this up!

Surely the best advice is surely to start with a door stop / Stylophone and work up? 😂🤣

On 01/03/2019 at 10:43, Quatschmacher said:

You may be interested in “the journey” but all roads eventually lead to the Future Impact (and then ultimately to keys). Seriously, save yourself the headache, time and money and buy a Future Impact. (Meris Enzo is a close-ish second.)

Indeed I went down this road. Separate octave/fuzz/filter to EHX BMS to MB SS to Panda FI.

Finally found sometime this week to jam and setup my Future Impact and it is all that and a chicken Biriyani so far.

The journey wasn't that interesting just needlessly long. I'll let you know when I start just taking a MIDI keyboard and laptop out with me to gigs 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Marky Screen said:

Indeed I went down this road. Separate octave/fuzz/filter to EHX BMS to MB SS to Panda FI.

Finally found sometime this week to jam and setup my Future Impact and it is all that and a chicken Biriyani so far.

The journey wasn't that interesting just needlessly long. I'll let you know when I start just taking a MIDI keyboard and laptop out with me to gigs 😂

Have you browsed some of the user patches yet?

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 19:58, mr zed said:

Roland UM One mk2. Around £30 and works perfectly.

I have sold my Future Impact so my Roland UM-One midi to USB interface is surplus to requirements. I have listed it for sale in the 'Other Musically Related Items For Sale' section.

• Like 2