Why become a member? ×

BASS SYNTH

The GroovyPlucker

7 minutes ago, The GroovyPlucker said:

seems ok, but bet it doesn't have the tweakability of the F1, still need to get the F1 into the pc to see what's in that editor btw....still don't know why pedal manufacturers don't just load these pedals with proper useable bass synth emulations, must be pretty easy to do, they'd sell by the bucket load,  someone's missing a trick here......

Indeed you do. You haven’t even scratched the surface until you’ve had a play around with the editor. Get up to speed with it now then you’ll be in a better position to appreciate the delights the update will offer. 

Tried the EHX Mono Synth yesterday at GuitarGuitar. Hmmm. Not sure. Some cool sounds but it’s quite limited, which is odd because I only really want one or two sounds from a synth pedal. I’m just not sure it quite nails them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Merton said:

Tried the EHX Mono Synth yesterday at GuitarGuitar. Hmmm. Not sure. Some cool sounds but it’s quite limited, which is odd because I only really want one or two sounds from a synth pedal. I’m just not sure it quite nails them.

exactly what I thought, I can't quite believe that these manufacturers just seem to dish out half a pedal when it comes to synths

• Like 1

On 30/03/2019 at 00:33, The GroovyPlucker said:

i will asap, hoping there might be some nice patches left by people who actually know what they're doing, lol

That is the very best bit. And there are loads of them. Nothing, and I mean nothing, makes me happier than finding cool things that I can use but are totally beyond me to create. 

Edited by owen
  • Like 2

Have you considered something like a Godin SA (Synth Access) bass linked to a Roland unit?  

I bought a Godin Ultra (piezo/mag/SA) bass as I wanted/needed to access loads of different sounds in a functions/party band but needed to continue bass duties.  It was/is fantastic with no need to learn to play keys or issues with latency, software issues etc.  Sadly that band is on the back burner and I don't get to use it, if you are in the NE area you're welcome to try.     

1 hour ago, Merton said:

My son has the Volca Beats drum machine, it’s pretty cool. Will have to check this out!

Yeh - I'm sorely tempted. At just £116 on Amazon new (i.e. the same cost as many used dedicated single use bass pedals) I'm struggling to find a reason not to! 

Seems to work really well when triggered with a drum machine via midi - you've got access to your son's Volca Beats and I've got an Alesis SR-18 both of which should do the job just fine.

I thought the following was a really good review (warts and all) for anyone interested, although it was apparently recorded nearly 100 years in the future in 2103 - haha! 

Also seems a really good way to get to grips with basic synth functions.

Suspect I will be pulling the trigger very shortly! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

For almost exactly the same price as the EHX Bass Mono Synth, this looks like a LOT more fun :) 

Reminds me of a stylyophone (ask your parents - older members should ask their kids).

Edited by mr zed
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Also seems a really good way to get to grips with basic synth functions.

I though you had a bass synth (and keys synth) already?

If you can access the pc based interface for the FI for instance it's lots of fun and pretty east to get to grips with - I'm using Logic and a USB keyboard and have been having loads of fun with the various synths available from the vintage mono types synth's to the wonderful Alchemy. Alchemy allow so much variety and sounds from drums to pads to soundscapes! You'll have heard it in some of the audio I've let you hear doing the subby synth bass stuff ages ago.

59 minutes ago, krispn said:

I though you had a bass synth (and keys synth) already?

I do. And I now have this Stylophone arriving tomorrow as well too :) 

Had a debate with the filter and synth boys as to whether it made any sense to get this bit of kit and the conclusion was pretty much "yes" in the same way it makes sense for me to get a TC Spectracomp before ever considering graduating to a Becos CompIQ Stella.

59 minutes ago, krispn said:

If you can access the pc based interface for the FI for instance it's lots of fun and pretty east to get to grips with - I'm using Logic and a USB keyboard and have been having loads of fun with the various synths available from the vintage mono types synth's to the wonderful Alchemy. Alchemy allow so much variety and sounds from drums to pads to soundscapes! You'll have heard it in some of the audio I've let you hear doing the subby synth bass stuff ages ago.

Next gen software upgrade for the FI is due out shortly, will hook it up to the PC at the point for sure. You defo should get an FI, you'll have some fun. And you know you want to 😉

Roland keys synth will likely be in hibernation for wee while.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

I do. And I now have this Stylophone arriving tomorrow as well too :) 

Had a debate with the filter and synth boys as to whether it made any sense to get this bit of kit and the conclusion was pretty much "yes" in the same way it makes sense for me to get a TC Spectracomp before ever considering graduating to a Becos CompIQ Stella.

Next gen software upgrade for the FI is due out shortly, will hook it up to the PC at the point for sure. You defo should get an FI, you'll have some fun. And you know you want to 😉

Roland keys synth will likely be in hibernation for wee while.

You don’t have to get a Spectracomp before you take a punt on the becos comp - you already own the Spectracomp!! The Noah’s Ark approach to pedal board building (two of everything) must be getting out of hand if you’re forgetting what’s on it 😀 

I’ve mentioned before I've no need to make my bass sound like a keyboard. Synth bass isn’t something I generally need in my bands just now. I know my audience and Pogues covers do not sound any better with synth! You appreciate the joy of having creative fun at home with your gear and for me learning keys is an ongoing episode in my musical journey. Being able to mix and edit music at home has given me a good insight into sound(s) and mixing down and love tracks form the band. It’s a bit of a labour of love but it does help when out in the trenches and something plays up - an errant frequency or a dodgy hollow stage. 

Nice edit to the final paragraph. I was simply pointing out that a synth keyboard would likely have the same controls, possibly more so than the volca but not knowing what your particular synth is capable of or having had a look at the volca on anything other than a superficial level. However if the Symposium of Synth©️ have spoken then I’d take their word over mine. I’ve been busy what with  life and work can get in the way of gear🙃

• Like 1

"The Symposium of Synth" (!!!) GREAT phrase 👍 are of the view that the Roland keys synth will make this Korg Volca Bass feel like, well... a Stylophone 😂

But the UI on the Roland JD-Xi is a right royal pain in the ar*se to dive into, which is why our former dep guitarist was keen to move it on to me and replaced it with something perhaps less capable but more intuitive.

I'm just about to get a third filter (a 3Leaf GR2)...and having fun with dedicated funk and synth pedals i.e. all the stuff that the Stomp is currently crap at. But tell you what, three filters is nothing compared to the (I'm guessing) 20 or so filters that true believers like @Bo0tsy has - I've barely started to slap the surface! 😁

Edited by Al Krow

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

"The Symposium of Synth" (!!!) GREAT phrase 👍 are of the view that the Roland keys synth will make this Korg Volca Bass feel like, well... a Stylophone 😂

But the UI on the Roland JD-Xi is a right royal pain in the ar*se to dive into, which is why our former dep guitarist was keen to move it on to me and replaced it with something perhaps less capable but more intuitive.

I'm just about to get a third filter (a 3Leaf GR2)...and having fun with dedicated pedal funk and synth i.e. all the stuff that the Stomp is currently crap at. But tell you what three filters is nothing compared to the (I'm guessing) 20 or so filters that true believers like @Bo0tsy has - I've barely slapped the surface! 😁

Be good to hear some clips as that filter funk can sound great in the right context (not the pogues)! . I wasn’t really into the filter sounds on the Stomp but did give them a go. Did you much about with the band pass filters on that tron up setting you posted? I found anything other than lo band pass just sounded weedy and not suitable for bass.

5 minutes ago, krispn said:

Be good to hear some clips as that filter funk can sound great in the right context (not the pogues)! . I wasn’t really into the filter sounds on the Stomp but did give them a go. Did you much about with the band pass filters on that tron up setting you posted? I found anything other than lo band pass just sounded weedy and not suitable for bass.

I need to do some work on the Stomp filter patch and, in particular, see if I can add in a 50% clean blend. The filter itself works well in terms of delivering that 'quack' but loses low end big time (I suspect what you were hearing in terms of it being 'weedy'?) - very noticeable when compared to the MXR BEF and Fwonkbeta. 

Edited by Al Krow

It’s not thatgthe Stomp is crap at it but it pays to get the patches set up correctly. If you scroll Tron Up patch to the second page of parameters you can set the band pass which adds in much more bottom end. It sounded weedy in the other two settings. If you haven’t got that set up correctly it’ll never sound good even with the parallel clean is my guess.

Edited by krispn
Spelling
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Next gen software upgrade for the FI is due out shortly, will hook it up to the PC at the point for sure.

You’ve still not even plugged the FI into your PC yet? Get on it, man! Even if you don’t create any patches, at least browse some of those that others have created. The beauty is twofold: browsing patches is done from files on your PC, the one you’re auditioning gets loaded into a buffer on the FI (and doesn’t overwrite anything on your pedal). You can instantly see all the settings of the patch you’re currently hearing.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

You’ve still not even plugged the FI into your PC yet? Get on it, man! Even if you don’t create any patches, at least browse some of those that others have created. The beauty is twofold: browsing patches is done from files on your PC, the one you’re auditioning gets loaded into a buffer on the FI (and doesn’t overwrite anything on your pedal). You can instantly see all the settings of the patch you’re currently hearing.

Thanks Q-thingy, but you don't need to worry about me on this one. Remember I'm the person who defended the FI for many months while you were slagging it off having spent 20 mins with it in a shop one afternoon? But it is truly wonderful to see how the zeal of a convert has grabbed you... 

In the immortal words of @krispn:

On 22/02/2019 at 18:58, krispn said:

I'll do what I like when I like thanks very much :P

😂

Edited by Al Krow

@Al Krow No need to quote me if you want to politely tell someone to keep their nose out of your business but to be fair you did convince the guy to start a Future Impact thread where he’s put in what appears to be a lot of effort and time to give an overview and insight into the pedal and promote patch sharing. 

• Like 1