Why become a member? ×

BASS SYNTH

The GroovyPlucker

I've been looking at the Boss SY300 as well as the Future Impact...

The Boss looks like it could replace all my pedal board as well as give me access to sequencing and phatphunky stuff too. Looks like it does more than the FI, but never tried either and there's no means of trying them here in darkest South Shropshire. I assume both can be edited via USB, but I like those Tamas Barabas sounds for the Boss.

Which to buy?

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I've been looking at the Boss SY300 as well as the Future Impact...

The Boss looks like it could replace all my pedal board as well as give me access to sequencing and phatphunky stuff too. Looks like it does more than the FI, but never tried either and there's no means of trying them here in darkest South Shropshire. I assume both can be edited via USB, but I like those Tamas Barabas sounds for the Boss.

Which to buy?

Depends if you want to be able to do full patch editing on the unit. Boss can, though I found it fiddly. I think the FI sounds better. 

@Leonard Smalls a nice quandary to find yourself in! I'm aware of two BCers who spent quality time with both pedals.

Both moved the Boss SYB300 on and moved on to the FI. That kinda persuaded me to go straight to the FI! 

However, there is no way the FI could replace the rest of the pedals on my board - that job is going to fall largely to my Helix Stomp. So the fact that you think the Boss could be a one stop shop for you is definitely another point to include when weighing the two up. 

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

However, there is no way the FI could replace the rest of the pedals on my board - that job is going to fall largely to my Helix Stomp.

In that case could a full fat Helix do the PFunky stuff that an FI or SY300 could do? Though I like the sequency stuff available on the SY; but either would freak out the band - I could imagine their little faces if I start producing noises like that Gundy Keller on his FI and SY reviews!

Well if I recall correctly @HazBeenhas gone from Boss SYB - - > FI - - > full fat Helix. 

Although word on the street is that the Helix's weak spot is synth sims. So I'm not expecting my Stomp to evict my FI off my board, although it may well eliminate the rest, including providing a juicy filter squelch patch or two! 

Edited by Al Krow

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Despite all this, I'm still tempted by the Boss, if for no other reason than polyphony...

Might have to take a trek to somewhere that's got one to have a play. Shame the Future Impact is so hard to find, which makes testing a bit difficult.

Look at the Enzo too, it does polyphony.

If you’re anywhere near Sheffield then you’re welcome to try my FI. 

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

If you’re anywhere near Sheffield then you’re welcome to try my FI.

Ta! Next time The Weeds have a Sheffield do I'll give you a shout... Last time was for Tramlines.

Not convinced by the Enzo - perhaps I just haven't seen a good demo but seems to be very much about synthy textures rather than phat'n'pfunky-ness. And it seems to be a bit lacking in switchable presets?

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well if I recall correctly @HazBeenhas gone from Boss SYB - - > FI - - > full fat Helix. 

Although word on the street is that the Helix's weak spot is synth sims. So I'm not expecting my Stomp to evict my FI off my board, although it may well eliminate the rest, including providing a juicy filter squelch patch or two! 

FI is still “king” :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Ta! Next time The Weeds have a Sheffield do I'll give you a shout... Last time was for Tramlines.

Not convinced by the Enzo - perhaps I just haven't seen a good demo but seems to be very much about synthy textures rather than phat'n'pfunky-ness. And it seems to be a bit lacking in switchable presets?

The Enzo definitely does phat too. The FI is a synth too. Enzo only has 16 presets but every parameter is accessible from the panel. FI has 99 presets, some parameters can be altered on from the panel but full editing is only possible via computer. 

18 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I hope that "FI is still king"...

I've just ordered one from Panda!

Now which of my pedals should I sell - 3 Leaf envelope filter? DOD envelope filter? FwonkBeta? Darkglass microtubes? Digitech Bass Whammy? Definitely Boss bass synth!

It won’t replace the 3 Leaf or Fwonkbeta.

Welcome to the club. Check out my resource page if you haven’t already. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

24 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I hope that "FI is still king"...

I've just ordered one from Panda!

Now which of my pedals should I sell - 3 Leaf envelope filter? DOD envelope filter? FwonkBeta? Darkglass microtubes? Digitech Bass Whammy? Definitely Boss bass synth!

do you mind me asking how much it cost from Panda, it's about £350 on ebay from a seller in canada, similar prices from the US, also, is the Boss Synth pedal really that bad??

1 minute ago, The GroovyPlucker said:

do you mind me asking how much it cost from Panda, it's about £350 on ebay from a seller in canada, similar prices from the US, also, is the Boss Synth pedal really that bad??

399 euros I believe. 

Edited by Quatschmacher
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The GroovyPlucker said:

is the Boss Synth pedal really that bad??

The SYB5 is a bit limited... But having one of those made me decide I wanted a proper synth!

And it cost me £351 including shipping and tax. Don't know how long Mr Postie takes to bring it from Hungary though.

31 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

The SYB5 is a bit limited... But having one of those made me decide I wanted a proper synth!

And it cost me £351 including shipping and tax. Don't know how long Mr Postie takes to bring it from Hungary though.

thought the boss pedal might be, that's pretty good all in from the EU, will try my EHX mono synth pedal first, if not successful  may jump up to the future impact...

• 2 weeks later...

Well an update on the EHX Mono Bass Synth.........tried it for 3-4 hours.....sent it back.......!!!!

Now don't get me wrong, it's not at all bad, some tracking issues, but not major at all, all depends what you want from a Synth Pedal, but there's the crux, it just didn't offer me the Sounds n Options I wanted.

I get the feeling nearly all Synth, or Synth type pedals are created for crazy expressionist sound scapes, and that's fine for those that want that, I want to emulate many classic 80's Bass Synth sounds, and thus far nothing has achieved that in a single pedal, you'd think manufacturers might actually realise this as going on all the stuff they cram into some of these pedals it's well achievable.

The sound(s) I lust, well check out Billy Ocean/When The Going gets Tough, Chaka Khan/I Feel For You, Madonna/Get Into The Groove, to name-check just a few, there's 100's.

I know many have said just buy a bass synth keyboard, but I'd rather wait for the ideal pedal (standalone)

Looks like it's the Future Imapct after all.

Now, anyone looking to try the EHX Bass Mono Synth, don't let me put you off, it's a neat little pedal, has lots of sound options that are useable, I did have the sensitivity all the way up on most settings as I found tracking an issue when I had it anywhere else, it's a good wee unit for the price, as are most EHX, just got a Bass Muff Deluxe real cheap on Ebay, and PMT online are selling off the last of the Bass Metaphors at £40, nearly £100 off the retail price.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2019 at 10:43, Quatschmacher said:

You may be interested in “the journey” but all roads eventually lead to the Future Impact (and then ultimately to keys). Seriously, save yourself the headache, time and money and buy a Future Impact. (Meris Enzo is a close-ish second.)

laughing, nervously knowing, I've bought the FI.....here goes something, everything, nothing etc.........

as above....so below....great flick btw.....back on topic....I've jumped in with the Future Impact 1....good deal on EvilBay....can't wait....saw a guy doing a Whitney Houston demo on that there uTube using a Deep Impact so I'm guessing I can achieve with the F1.....reading the guide on here is like re-visiting the 70's/80's music shop experience for me...not wanting to sound disparaging to the author as it's superb, but it makes me feel as small as the current 5 pence piece, or half pence piece for those that recall......I'll report back....jeez, I might even throw in a video...over to the watch list for suitable attire.... 

• Like 2

On 01/03/2019 at 11:58, Quatschmacher said:

Also worth pointing out that the FI is also a keyboard synth if you hook it up to a midi controller keyboard (like a Keystep).

So it can receive note data via MIDI? How did I not know this? I think you’ve just fully sold the FI to me :o

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, you can plug in any MIDI keyboard and it’ll play as soon as it detects a note-on message. 

In fact, you can plug in both bass and keyboard and it’ll automatically switch from MIDI to audio control depending on what signal it detects so you could mute your bass (to avoid accidental audio triggering) and play on keys then unmute and switch straight back to bass should you so desire. 

• Thanks 1