Why become a member? ×

Information needed please

Richard Lamell

I picked up this unusual Stellah bass a few weeks ago. I have had it re-strung and set up, and it is surprisingly great to play and sounds great. I can't find any information on this model, and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I have no idea how old it is, but it looks kinda 80's. Any info would be much appreciated. I did see that someone had one for sale for $500, claiming they were $1200 new, which I find difficult to believe. 

DSC_0383.JPG

Hi

As far as I can work out, Stellah appears to have been mainly low-price generic style basses and guitars and low price guitar and bass kits.  Reviews, especially of the kits seem to be consistent in terms of well machined woods and, with the kits retailing at not much more than £100, 'decent value for money'.

I guess they were of Far East origin.  I say 'were' because they don't appear to be trading under that brand any more.  Most reviews and references I can see date from around 2010.  There are some youtube clips around of both the kit products and the fully finished models.

Yours is clearly a modern take on the 'Explorer' models.

I think it looks good - I like the subtle change of styling.  If it plays well, then enjoy it for what it is.