Why become a member? ×

Amp popping in the second half of gigs

StuCapewell

Hi

I play an active Ibanez SDGR through an Ashdown MAG 300 attached to two Mark cabs by jack to jack speaker leads.

Recently I noticed occasional popping (like a slight volume surge) later on in gigs, I got the head serviced and it is still happening.

Before investing in a new head (I'm seriously looking at the Ashdown Original HD-1) does the hive mind recommend the following - replace the battery in the guitar or one or both of the speaker leads?

My one confession is I tend to leave all my gear in the car except my guitar between gigs............

thanks

I'd get a good branded replacement battery and try that first. They have a date printed on the packaging.

I left a lead plugged into an active bass once, which meant the circuit was drawing power and drained the battery. The contacts in the battery compartment were covered in that green verdigris gunk, so if that has happened either now or in the past, in needs cleaning up. You could get an intermittent contact and maybe that could cause the popping, particularly if you are jumping about and throwing shapes at the end of the evening 😃

Leaving the gear in the car is not a good idea, dread to think how many times I've been guilty of that😶

• Like 1

When you change the battery,  check that the terminals connecting the battery are secure. 

My Ibanez SR600 intermittently popped and cut out completely due to the terminals being loose. I managed to tighten them as a temporary fix but am replacing the battery clip as a more permanent cure.

Edited by Krysbass
  • Like 1