Why become a member? ×

Urgent help gmr bass

Buckaroo

Hi all I have bought this bass a year ago as a gmr bass and now I’m trying to find out if it’s definitely a gmr bass as there’s no logo or ident that I can’t find anyhelp much appreciated the furniture is Warwick don’t know if that helps or has it been changed by previous owner? can find any details about gmr basses on web for help  and if what model is it cheers buckaroo 

10650A9B-9367-44A5-8BF6-E07FF173E33E.jpeg

5278A22F-170F-422B-AEB2-BE4F626CE42C.jpeg

584CC789-021B-4EA5-831B-F79D6D1C7C92.jpeg

01513193-3C02-43B5-850F-B8A9608A2AC7.jpeg

10E8D6EB-84C9-42A9-A5FE-CA68E83C6128.jpeg

It is almost certainly a GMR Bassforce, lack of logo on headstock is mysterious but body shape, use of Warwick hardware, EMGs - a custom build originating in the 1990s, maybe early 2000s, these are my educated guesses (quite a few pics on Polish bass forums and auction sites, a plethora of varieties as it seems lots were custom builds, perhaps a customer requested no logo).

If you must know for certain try contacting Roman Koc, the luthier behind the brand - there's an FB profile for both him and the brand.

But what I think you have here is a vintage, handmade instrument from a well regarded luthier, an instrument which if it was a Warwick people would be queuing up to pay a grand or more, realistically you should be able to sell this for four hundred quid tops - or, well, however much anyone is willing to pay, try your luck ;)

The body shape, headstock shape, and wood grain all look GMR to me (bottom horn might be a bit too long and thin?). Also the matched wood electronics cover on the back. The angle of the tuners looks wrong (on all my three they are at right angles to the line of the neck) and I've never seen one with the input socket angled into the front of the body. I've also not seen that lighter wood detail on the front at the end of the fretboard - although GMRs are all individually hand made to customer's spec so that's not a stopper. 

As Romeo2 said, GMRs typically go for a fraction of a comparable quality bass from a better known luthier. My fretless 4 was £350 and you'd be lucky to match it for a grand. These two are definitely real (sorry for blurry pic!) 

ps GMRs have superb sustain. On all my three, a single note will stay strong for a full two bars at moderate tempo. I haven't played a Mayones (as said, the other likely make) so I can't compare - but if yours doesn't have exceptional sustain, it probably isn't a GMR. 

It's also worth taking off that back plate and looking behind it. If you could post a pic of that I can tell you if it looks like mine. 

IMG_1039.thumb.jpg.87533b5a7df295772d0f9bd15b0b497b.jpg

IMG_1876 copy.jpg

Edited by josie
Added ps