Why become a member? ×

Fire destroys instrument shop .. a bit of good news, though.

wateroftyne

Byron Berline is a legendary fiddle & mandolin player, who has played with some of the biggest names in music over the decades. He owns an instrument shop in Oklahoma, which burned to the ground a couple of days ago. Hundreds of instruments were destroyed,. But what of the 1923 Lloyd Loar F-5 mandolin in the safe..?

• Like 2

Thank God for that. Loars are the Strads of the mandolin world. Less than 200 were built. If (and it's a big if) one comes up for sale, prices are stratospheric. I would absolutely  love one. A chap I used to know had one and it was the best mandolin I've ever played by a large margin.

29 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I thought this was going to be a joke about banjos.

Hehe. Me too, but let's just be grateful hundreds of fiddles and mandolins burned.
All part of God's plan!

PS and BTW in the interest of full disclosure: I own a fiddle, and a mandolin is the very next instrument I'm gonna buy.

But still...

😉

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BassTractor said:

Hehe. Me too, but let's just be grateful hundreds of fiddles and mandolins burned.
All part of God's plan!

PS and BTW in the interest of full disclosure: I own a fiddle, and a mandolin is the very next instrument I'm gonna buy.

But still...

😉

But no banjo, there is no justice in this world. 😁

• Haha 1