Why become a member? ×

Fender Dimension Bass Page

Pinball

Hi, seeing as Fender stopped making these basses I thought it would be cool to set up a page for them on facebook with the following aim: Post love, information, pictures and stories about these most excellent instruments. One of the best bass designs to come from Fender for years!
Please keep posts nice, fun and focussed on these great basses.

Anyhow, here is the link if anyone fancies joining or moderating. Strangely I can't embed a link but just look for "Dimension Bass Page (unnoficial)" and you will find it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/382848225624135/

Edited by Pinball

3 hours ago, Pinball said:

Post love, information, pictures and stories about these most excellent instruments. One of the best bass designs to come from Fender for years!

So why have fender stopped making them? 🤔

Always curious to how good they were as the second hand market was saturated with the Squier versions. We've all seen that Black/Black/Maple 5 string around 😂

Seemed like a good model for what it was but kinda rivalled the Musicman market. Which is perhaps why it flopped. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bigsmokebass said:

So why have fender stopped making them? 🤔

Always curious to how good they were as the second hand market was saturated with the Squier versions. We've all seen that Black/Black/Maple 5 string around 😂

Seemed like a good model for what it was but kinda rivalled the Musicman market. Which is perhaps why it flopped. 

Fender didn't sell enough. They certainly seemed to have faith in their product and tried to sell a decent volume. That flooded the market and they started selling them off cheap.

Why didn't people buy them? Try discussing that on the page.

My opinion is Fender already have a big chunk of the market in Jazzers and Precisions and the competition is tough! Smaller volumes may have worked. It lasted longer than most other attempts to establish volume sales of a new design in the bass market. Such a sweet sounding bass and easy to play. (I have American Standard/passive v's)

There are quite a few threads about it. It is definately not a Music Man replica. I know as I also have a Stingray.

Note: The USA ones are pretty scarce new now.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/382848225624135/

Edited by Pinball

3 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

I've immediately started looking for a 5 string after watching Yolanda Charles raving about hers.

Philip Schofield says we should use webuyanycar. I'm not sure he's doing that out of generosity.

Edited by Machines
Wrong celeb
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 6feet7 said:

I've immediately started looking for a 5 string after watching Yolanda Charles raving about hers.

Got to be the passive version though.

Yes it was Yolanda's video, the bass whisperers reviews  and trying out a 4 string version that gave me the confidence to search out a 5.

Note: Yolanda joined the page, which is cool.

12 hours ago, fretmeister said:

When I read the title I assumed you had found a page that detailed all the different dimensions of various Fender basses.

Yes I couldnt find one so thought I would start one. I like to follow the Bass Collection page on FB. It will only work if people post stuff etc. We'll see if it takes off or not.

3 hours ago, Machines said:

I applaud Fender for trying something new, but the product entered a saturated market. It lacked any discernible USP and was really up against G&L functionality wise. Ironic.

I remember thinking that when I played a MIM deluxe in PMT, "nice bass but what makes it stand out" I thought. It is a mind set when the market is already saturated. If I had thought "nice bass" and stopped there that would have been equally valid

I bought one here and liked it a lot. It looked good to me, balanced and played well, really nice neck but reminded me of my Stingray in sound and was active. 

I have come to the conclusion I just don't really like active basses. I traded it here for a squier precision and afaik we're both content with the swap. 

But I agree that it was neither classic nor standout. Could easily grow a niche following though. 

I’ve got the Am Deluxe 5 String. Actually fits in the mix very well; I like both pups split (jazz style) or full neck humbucker. I didn’t think I’d keep it, but it works pretty well. Fender through everything at this new model: asymmetric neck bone nut, 18v preamp. I think they gave it a really good go before conceding inevitable defeat. Still a good bass though.

• Like 1

On 26/02/2019 at 08:17, 6feet7 said:

Got to be the passive version though.

23 hours ago, Pinball said:

Yes it was Yolanda's video, the bass whisperers reviews  and trying out a 4 string version that gave me the confidence to search out a 5.

Note: Yolanda joined the page, which is cool.

My interest was piqued after seeing Yolanda's review and after seeing one come up for sale at a bargain price, I contacted Yolanda via Twitter. She said that she loved her Dimension but found her new American Pro Jazz cut through better in a live situation. I passed on the Dimension, but still wonder if we would have bonded

My mate has the 5 string passive HH Dimension and it's a cracking bass. The pick ups sound great; powerful but passive. It sounds like a beefier Fender and each pick up solo'd has a usable sound. The neck felt great and I'd happily gig a passive 4 or 5 string if one came along at a good price. Both him and I were spying the one he bought as it was on Gumtree locally. He's over the moon with it. I'd really like to have more time with it, give it a full gig or two to hear what it does with the band on a gig/in a mix.

The reason I feel these didn't sell is that people bemoan Fender for being too samey yet as soon as they put out something different they get slammed for the non-traditional look often with the detractors not having played one. Consequence of success i suppose.

• Like 2

I'll look out the group!  I have two, both American active 5 string HH,  one's an Elite model and the other's a Deluxe, but there's virtually no difference between them other than the headstock writing (silver vs black) and the Elite case.  A lot of Fender's newer attempts just don't seem to last - we like our passive Precisions and our Jazz basses - Coronado, Starcaster anyone?

I do love them and I'd maybe buy other if the right one came along. The necks are fantastic as they're asymmetric, waxed, with compound radius.  The active circuit is 18v and quite responsive and it's really well balanced for a 5 string.  With the HH version there are five different pickup positions and it does actually do a good Stingray an a Jazz tone. Even the neck pickup can do a passable Precision with a bit of EQing.  I gig these in preference to my Musicman Sterling 5 HH.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had a lovely "sparkle root beer" US Deluxe single humbucker version. It was light, wonderful neck and had a great sound but for me, the body was too small. It was the only reason I moved it on. Wonderful basses and will for sure be a cool collectors piece in the future. A shame it didn't really take off. Bravo to Fender for trying though.

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Ccwg_Bass said:

Taking a chance on an old thread… I’m looking for a Fender Dimension USA Deluxe V HH, if anyone has one or sees one in the wild… please please send them my way! Preference is for a black body/ maple neck. 

Exactly what I had, even the black body/maple neck. Nice bass, sadly no longer with me. Hope you find one.