Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big Twin T vs x2 smaller cabs

The GroovyPlucker

Hey,

I'm in two minds at the mo here.

Previously had a Gen 1 Compact & Gen 2 Midget combo with a GB Streamliner 900, was great, but wanted a tad more oomph (btw I found the compact G1 too bassy, might well have been the GB 900 which has also been described as this), so went for a Big Twin T which is awesome, now use it with a MarkBass Ninja 1000w. I do like a big presence on stage or at rehearsal, especially with a big band with Keys, which always really fill out a room.

I don't drive and rely on lifts and the Big Twin is oft not easy to travel with so was thinking of going back to two cabs, obviously handier for small gigs, even big ones if there's adequate monitoring on stage......so the question is x2 Big Baby 2's, even though one can handle 800w still think I'd like the security of another cab. Or x2 Gen 1 or 2 Midget's, liked their sound before and they're 12's if I remember rightly, or a BB" & Midget or 1x10.

I play covers, mainly 80's pop/rock, but can often need to belt out with a Classic Rock combo, hence why I got the bigger cab in the 1st place

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark 

Edited by The GroovyPlucker

Hi Mark,

I also had a G1 Compact and Midget plus a pair of G2 Midgets later on.

I now have a G3 BB2 and a G3 Super Midget.  I like this combination a lot because you have three options.

I use the BB2 or SM alone the most.  I rarely need both as they are both very loud alone.  The BB2 is deeper and my favourite of the two.

My first choice is always the BB2 and I only use the SM if space is going to be tight.  They seem equally loud. Both are used if the gig is in a big hotel room, say at a wedding, or outdoors.  Together they sound massive and very good indeed.

The only downside is that two cabs will cost more than one big cab but after the initial expense, the convenience is worth it for me.

I hope this helps a little. :)

Frank.

EDIT.  I have a pair of Barefaced one10s too.  They don't mix well with the 12" driver cabs but those two tiny cabs are amazing things.

Edited by machinehead

Cheers Frank, always useful advice you give, it is the convenience of the 2 cab scenario I'm contemplating, am actually going for an audition on Wednesday night with a band you know, Conspiracy, I believe you know the ex Bass Player, seen the vids and he's an awesome player, some boots to fill, strangely enough has the same FSR PJ Precision I have too!!

They use keys and have a big sound and it's that scenario I need to fill, I see he used a Markbass 1x15 & 2x10, that was always my fave combo.

I might stick the big twin up for sale, see one went for near £900 recently, use the proceeds to get a BB2, sounds like the way to go, although I've always wanted to try x2 midgets, early gens, as i found them really great, very loud n tight, gen 1 Compact I found too bassy,

Cheers

Mark 

If you ever want to hear the BB2 (and the SM)  just let me know.  I'm sure we can arrange something.  I'm gigging most weekends.

I've played quite a few gigs with BCs keyboard player, Kevin.  Mention me to him when you see him.  He's a great player and all-round good guy.

Good luck with the audition.

Frank.

28 minutes ago, gary mac said:

For the last few years I've gigged a BB2 and Super Compact combination. They work very well together, although to lighten the load slightly more and given that I don't really use the tweeter on the BB2, I may swap it out for another SC. 

+1

Two Super Compacts seems to me to be a very flexible solution.

• Like 2

My previous rig was any one or two from a Compact and two Midgets (one a Midget T). My current rig is one or two FR800s, which are essentially a BB2 with a 600W amp built in.

I'd say the BB2 is maybe slightly bassier than the original compact, but there's not much in it. I've played a Super Compact loud but not gigged it, but my impression is that it was maybe between the BB2 and the original compact. It's essentially a BB2 but in a slightly shallower (front to back) box. (Yes, with no tweeter, but that doesn't affect the lows) There's really not much in it and I think the SC is slightly bassier than the compact, but not by much. All 3 have pretty similar lows, certainly more similar than they are different.

I'd also say that any from the compact, super compact and BB2/FR800 are one cab solutions for most people. Yes, I've also got a stack just like you, and yes that can sometimes serve to fill out the sound a little more and make it a bit more effortless but I know that I could do all of my gigs with one FR800 if I really had to.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

Cheers Jack, I bought one of your Midget's ages ago, should've bought both, regret letting it go, The Big Twin is great in the mids and not overpowering in the bass, which is what I'm after, although the MB Ninja head is great in the mids too, still thinking of trading the BTT for BB2 though as I'd probably have enough with one of them with 800w handling until I can afford to add anymore, unless I see two Gen 1-2 midgets up for grabs as I think two midgets would cover a lot of bases