Why become a member? ×

Marcus Miller Sire Bass guitar feedback?

Chrisbassboy5

Quite a few threads on this already, but great basses for the money. They can be a tad heavy at anywhere between 9-10.5lb+ if that's a problem, go somewhere like Andertons and pick a light one! 

They've got some new colours coming out which look great, but don't know if those will be hitting the UK. 

Massive discussions on here back when they came out, with every last aspect picked apart.

Sound and electronics: fantastic

Finish and fit: great

Bits n bobs (bridge, machines): cheap but fit for purpose

Cool wall:  not really because almost everyone has had at least one

Value for money: very good indeed.

11 hours ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Andertons, Guildford and YT are going crazy for these..  are they worth the money or shiny rubbish?

What's the actual difference in the models? P, M series..

Please post your feedback so I/we can make a choice to buy or not to buy..

Cheers guys and girls!

Chris

Maybe look in the existing threads  about these, plenty of thoughts and discussion on these, over the past few years.

Also if you look in the SIre website it tells you what the differences are, it helps to know what you are buying before buying it.

For what its worth i love my Gen 1 V7, had it since they first came out, and have just sent a Gen 2 P7 5 back to Andertons. The Gen 2’s are nicer but mine had an issue.

I had a Gen 1  S7, and loved it  for a while ( new bass excitement ) but after a while, i couldn't get the tone i wanted out of it.

Couldn't say whether it was pups or preamp , but i'm leaning towards the preamp.  It was moved, anyways

Its been said before.They are a game changer for the budget instrument.  They are just superb. The cherry on top is the preamp and the pickups. Just as good if not better than the USA preamps and pickups they put in Indonesian Laklands which are the superb LH3. The comprehensive pre with its mid sweep takes some knowledge of what's going on.  My only disappointment was the weight. I would go as far to say the 3 Sire V7's, 2 5vers and a Vintage 4 I had sounded better than my Sei Jazz. The alder V7 5 ver was a Marcus Miller sounding beast tonally. If I had to downsize my bass, there is no other option I would consider.  Just a lighter one. and that is the only ball they dropped. imo

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

I absolutely love my Sire V7 wht-4str-rosewood 

Great player

It is a bit on the heavy side but I have had heavier 

At first I loved every thing but the sound

Changed to a different string brand and that fixed that

Could there be improvements, Yes and that is why there is a 2nd series out now

Would like to play one

The changes look great

Thanks all for some great feedback.. YT seems to rave about them including Scotts bass lessons etc. Every page I have found has loved them.. 

I think I may go MM out of the box opposed to a 2nd hand Ibby...

I went to PMT and asked a bass guy working , about them and he answered "you wouldnt believe how many electrics I've had to solder on them" . Perhaps MM envy or something in it as something has to go for a £500 bass new, eh?

If there are any issues I've not read it and god I've researched the bass all over YT and Google!

Still think they are awesome and fancy one for my 50th in Sept. Perhaps a 5 string Ash V7, 2nd edition... agree?

Cheers guys and girls. Chris

5 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Anyone got a P9? Thinking of getting one but I’m concerned about weight but thinking the ash body one should be lighter as that wood is generally light. It’s Aerodyne type shape which in Fenders is a lighter bass. Advise from an owner appreciated.

Ash can actually be pretty heavy. It’s generally a dense hardwood. There are many species though and swamp ash seems to come in a bit less dense. 

Bought a V7 very recently... And it is amazing.

Can't believe the guitar you get for the money you pay. I did a lot of 'research' online and after speaking to the folks at Andertons, I was sold.

The neck is amazing. Super smooth and comfortable neck, bound, and with an ebony fretboard. You'd be looking at the higher end Fenders for similar.

The tone is great also. Overall, a great quality instrument.

870467995_IMG_7363(2).thumb.jpg.cbd8b36ce6e6d6c224473e94454d9ff0.jpg

539657263_IMG_7408(4).thumb.jpg.c72f61630f440869276164dd11e8f8eb.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Maybe look in the existing threads  about these, plenty of thoughts and discussion on these, over the past few years.

Also if you look in the SIre website it tells you what the differences are, it helps to know what you are buying before buying it.

For what its worth i love my Gen 1 V7, had it since they first came out, and have just sent a Gen 2 P7 5 back to Andertons. The Gen 2’s are nicer but mine had an issue.

What was the issue Dave?  I'm in a similar situation...first Gen 2 V7 went back because the pole pieces in a pickup had dropped low at one end... the replacement has an issue with the finish on the neck so I'm taking that one back too.  I love the sound and playability, but  QC on build/finish has been poor for me.  It's suprised me as most reviews say finish is great.

They are honestly damn good! I recently got one of the v3 models (1st Gen)....its incredible value for money, and plays and sounds fantastic.Fit and finish good. Frets are perfect. Its light (8.8lbs).....There were a couple of dodgy looking solder joints on the wires to the jack (I always open up and look for stuff like this whenever i get a new instrument and can fix these things myself so no big deal for me although these issues shouldn't be present really)

I usually play a 79' Precision or a Japan precision......and i could honestly play this sire all day no probs!....band likes it too.

I Went to Andertons and played 4 of them, all played and sounded just as good as each other although there were random issues on some, poorly cut nuts or ill fitting knobs mainly. I would definitely suggest trying in person if possible. 

Edited by owenojo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Anyone got a P9? Thinking of getting one but I’m concerned about weight but thinking the ash body one should be lighter as that wood is generally light. It’s Aerodyne type shape which in Fenders is a lighter bass. Advise from an owner appreciated.

The weight will be a lottery, though from the two lighter r ones I've encountered) both around 9lb have both been ash. Find a friendly dealer who might be willing to check out the weight before purchase or buy in store. 

On 26/02/2019 at 22:27, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Thanks all for some great feedback.. YT seems to rave about them including Scotts bass lessons etc. Every page I have found has loved them.. 

I think I may go MM out of the box opposed to a 2nd hand Ibby...

I went to PMT and asked a bass guy working , about them and he answered "you wouldnt believe how many electrics I've had to solder on them" . Perhaps MM envy or something in it as something has to go for a £500 bass new, eh?

If there are any issues I've not read it and god I've researched the bass all over YT and Google!

Still think they are awesome and fancy one for my 50th in Sept. Perhaps a 5 string Ash V7, 2nd edition... agree?

Cheers guys and girls. Chris

Um... I had an ash and sold it straight on.  Could not get on with the sound compared to my alder ones.

I've got an ash 5 string 1st gen, had it since 2015 and it's my go-to live bass at the moment. Yes it's a tad heavy, but replacing the tuners with Hipshot licenced ones saved half a pound in weight. It plays beautifully and sounds fabulous. What more needs to be said? :)

22 hours ago, Chrisbassboy5 said:

What is the difference between them as it was surely obvious enough to make you swap Lownote.. ?

It might just have been a duff bass but whatever I twiddled I could not get a sound I liked.