Why become a member? ×

Really fun bass lines you're lovin' playing live!

Al Krow

Always love playing Fontella Bass "Rescue Me" and cover it in a band I dep for now and again. I seem to play it whenever i pick up a bass. The same band also covered Cee Lo Green's "Forget You" which is great to play live.

Really digging the live version of Bowie's "Moonage Daydream" from Live at the Beeb - just brilliant. Got to gig that last year too.

A fun one for me is UFO's "Only You Can Rock Me".

Pete Way, despite being extensively marinaded in illegal substances, came up with a great line in this tune - and then embellished it here and there on the live recording. I also cover the keyboard breakdown in the middle, up around the 9th-14th frets, which is extra entertainment for me.

Another vote for Living On A Prayer, too - a fun, rolling thing to play.

There's lots I love - Uptown Funk and Treasure, Le Freak and Good Times, Never Too Much; no embellishments needed, the fun's in getting the groove bang on for the dancefloor, then there's the stuff like This Charming Man and I Am The Resurrection, oh, and I always like doing Hysteria...because I'm a show-off. 😀

It occurs that all the above are pretty much bass-led songs...there's a pattern there... 😃

War pigs? Fabulous! One of my favourites atm

Yep, Proud Mary. So many opportunities for little fills

Witch Queen by Redbone. Our arrangement means I take the main riff

I Can Hear The Grass Grow by The Move

Hold Your Head Up by Argent (repetitive, simple bass line but so effective)

I Feel Good. Just so funky 

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Ain't no mountain

MG - What's going on

BeeGees - Stayin alive (with uptempo jazz feel)

Robbie Williams - Let me entertain you (the singer of the band where I double the bass is at least as crazy as RW)

Dave Lee Roth - I'm just a gigolo

Dizzy - A night in Tunisia

EWF - September

I would love to try these: B52's - Loveshack, Was not was - I feel better than James Brown, Rod Stewart - Da ya think I'm sexy, and Four brothers

• Like 1

20 hours ago, super al said:

There's 2 Rev. Al Green tunes in our set that I love playing - take me to the river and let's stay together.

We have just started the commitments version of take me to the river, which I like as there are no correct tabs to it so I really had to listen

6 minutes ago, super al said:

Agree. I Got You (I Feel Good) is da nuts if everybody hits those staccato notes bang on.

And that, also started that one last week

I am enjoying all these sort of tracks as I never did them before.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

We have just started the commitments version of take me to the river, which I like as there are no correct tabs to it so I really had to listen

And that, also started that one last week

I am enjoying all these sort of tracks as I never did them before.

Maybe we should swap numbers in case we need to dep each other, sounds like we're doing a similar thing 😀

That's if you don't mind rehearsing in Amesbury 😉

8 minutes ago, super al said:

Maybe we should swap numbers in case we need to dep each other, sounds like we're doing a similar thing 😀

That's if you don't mind rehearsing in Amesbury 😉

Amesbury? As I have had bad meals in both the George and the Bell, as long as you don't have to eat!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Norris said:

I Can Hear The Grass Grow by The Move

Do you by any chance have notes or tab you could share for that?

I'm not ready to play anything live, other than root notes of the chord sequence of simple stuff, but I love that song. And almost anything by The Move in fact. 😁 

19 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Do you by any chance have notes or tab you could share for that?

I'm not ready to play anything live, other than root notes of the chord sequence of simple stuff, but I love that song. And almost anything by The Move in fact. 😁 

Unfortunately not. I just listened and played along to learn it, plus a bit of rearrangement to suit our guitar/bass/drums trio. It's in drop-D tuning though 

15 minutes ago, Richard R said:

In that case it will just have to wait.  

While you drop your bottom string by a tone? I used to have to tell the guitarist that quite often until I bought a Hipshot de-tuner :D

It's not that difficult a song actually. Give it a listen & learn