Why become a member? ×

Really fun bass lines you're lovin' playing live!

Al Krow

Rescue Me by Fontella Bass has a great bass line.  I Want You Back by the Jacksons always makes me smile, but I don't know if I'd want to play it live as that middle eight is pretty unforgiving!  Ballroom Blitz because it's lots of fun and dead easy.  Plus there's a bass solo in it.

Currently learning Mr. Blue Sky, Staying Out for the Summer and I'm Coming Out.  Also learning Toxic by Britney Spears which is actually more fun that I expected.  The timing on the verse is a bit tricky to learn (for me at least).

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Been having a lot fun getting to grips with this, which we've recently added to our set (the clip is an early recording of them playing live a year before it became an international hit - hope you enjoy).

What's currently floating your bass lines?

Such a fun song.  I've been trying to get that into our set for a while now.  I'm going to redouble my efforts!

10 hours ago, grumpyguts said:

Proud Mary

Gah!  I hate that song and we play it as an encore at the moment.  If you're ever at one of our gigs feel free to take over on that one!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, krispn said:

It can be tricky making some tunes fun to play and other tunes, like some I mentioned above, aren’t songs I’d really go out of my way to listen to but are quite enjoyable to play especially with the choir gigs. 

Totally agree - what you get a real buzz from playing live aren't necessarily songs that would be the ones you'd go out of your way to listen to - but hopefully will still be ones that audiences love, otherwise they wouldn't make it into our sets, right?

I guess for me, in simple terms, that equates to numbers with a wicked / catchy bass line and which can often overlap with it also being a great song. 

Edited by Al Krow

There were a couple of songs that I loved doing live, not from the technicality point of view (they're not exactly complex) but the energy of them - "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Don't You Forget About Me". I think that's a total of eight notes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my little band I enjoy several - American Girl, Lido Shuffle in particular, but Psycho Killer is most fun.  Our singer really gives it some welly, too. 

Bon Jovi tribute bass line I enjoy the most is probably Living On A Prayer.  Nothing much to it but it is powerful and drives the song along so nicely.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Gah!  I hate that song and we play it as an encore at the moment.  If you're ever at one of our gigs feel free to take over on that one!

I like it cos it's a chance to make a bit of noise - the band tends to let go a bit, probably sounds a bit loose but hopefully fun. We were doing a rather sparsely attended gig at a bar in Windsor; about 1/3 of the way through set two we stumble into Proud Mary - doing the quiet start etc.. Unknown to us there was a PA speaker outside the bar, a passing hen party heard the noise and rushed in all doing the associated dance moves - it was quite a sight. They stayed till the end of the gig and appeared to have a great time.

52 minutes ago, Paul S said:

In my little band I enjoy several - American Girl, Lido Shuffle in particular, but Psycho Killer is most fun.  Our singer really gives it some welly, too. 

Bon Jovi tribute bass line I enjoy the most is probably Living On A Prayer.  Nothing much to it but it is powerful and drives the song along so nicely.

OMG Paul - it was dark. It was late. We've played living on a prayer a million times. But this one time I managed to start two notes further up the fret board than I should. It kinda worked in an avant garde jazz sort of way. The guitarist glared at me with a 'WTF look' and I got back on track in 2 bars flat... one of those little horror stories that are worth a pint at the Dog n Duck when meeting up with fellow BC'ers methinks! 

Does there come a point in every bass player's life where getting LEDs at the side of the fretboard should be compulsory? 😁

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Does there come a point in every bass player's life where getting LEDs at the side of the fretboard should be compulsory? 😁

If you can't see the bass the audience can't see you! Never mind LED's, sounds like the band should be setting up stage lights of some description.

Just now, chris_b said:

If you can't see the bass the audience can't see you! Never mind LED's, sounds like the band should be setting up stage lights of some description.

Fair do's - we did have some stage lighting together with some 'party' lighting for the hall.  

But I'd have thought that audiences don't particularly need to see the bass player as long they can hear the groove and have sight of the vocalists (who are a much nicer sight, believe me, than the old geezer with the 5 string 😁

Not played it as a main song, but me & a drummer jam 24k Magic by Bruno Mars.  If I've got the Seaboard, I'll alternate between it & the bass.  Such a fun bassline to play.

Another great song to play is Wynonna's big brown beaver by Primus.  Just soooo much fun & sounds harder than it is.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

😂 - play this in the Ska band. Four notes I think isn't it?

Yeah - but four good ones! And there's the nice little run down.

I had a vague memory of the drummer playing with a pair of fish on TOTP - I was delighted to discover it wasn't a "fake memory"!

There's 2 Rev. Al Green tunes in our set that I love playing - take me to the river and let's stay together.

At first it was the basslines but now we have a lovely new horn section these songs are flying to another level played live!

I'm actually loving all our set but those 2 stick out as 'tingly, warm feeling inside' moments 😊

• Like 2