Why become a member? ×

Really fun bass lines you're lovin' playing live!

Al Krow

Been having a lot fun getting to grips with this, which we've recently added to our set (the clip is an early recording of them playing live a year before it became an international hit - hope you enjoy).

What's currently floating your bass lines?!

• Like 2

We don't play covers and we don't play live but sometimes during reharsals me or my drummer randomly and unexpectedly just starts playing "My Sharona" for no reason, and the other immediately follows and we laugh like idiots

We call it the "my sharona interval" :biggrin:

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Blame it on Boogie

We've just been asked to include this in a wedding set for the autumn so gonna need to be learning that one soon!

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I've always wanted to cover Tom Hark 🙂

Ah the Pihranhas...

Edited by Al Krow

...or possibly Elias and the Zig Zags (1958)? 😎

2 hours ago, bassfan said:

That’s a good question 😃

Bruno Mars ...Uptown Funk.

You're a better man than me if you've got that one nailed! :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grumpyguts said:

I enjoy most of the stuff we do, but the following in particular..

Proud Mary, Signed Sealed, Shake your Tail Feather. 

I do a few dep gig's for another band - some of the stuff they do I wouldn't choose but One Way or Another is laugh as the drummer goes a bit manic.

Yup like all of those a lot! I particularly love the groove on Signed Sealed Delivered - always goes down well live.

48 minutes ago, Horizontalste said:

Love Foolosophy is nice to play live, I'm still having to pay attention to the timing but it sounds good.

Anyone who can play Jamiroquai bass lines well has my full respect: Stuart Zender and his successors are all awesome! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Been having a lot fun getting to grips with this, which we've recently added to our set (the clip is an early recording of them playing live a year before it became an international hit - hope you enjoy).

What's currently floating your bass lines?!

It’s actually a Herbie Hancock tune from the “Blow Up” soundtrack. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yup they sampled his bass line from Bring down the Birds, for sure, and he gets a writing credit on the track (and no doubt a deserved share of the royalties!). 

8 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Can it be any coincidence @Al Krow picked not only the sampled version of the actual bass line, but a live performance using a backing track with no band to film and is focusing on just the singer....?

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Can it be any coincidence @Al Krow picked not only the sampled version of the actual bass line, but a live performance using a backing track with no band to film and is focusing on just the singer....?

So you would rather troll instead of coming up with something you really enjoy playing live? 

Edited by Al Krow

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

..or possibly Elias and the Zig Zags (1958)? 😎

[Pedant mode]Or possibly even Elias and his Zig Zag Jive Flutes[/Pedant mode]

I've got the original single; bizarrely, it used to go down very well at a funk disco I did in Leeds in the  mid80s as the penultimate song, followed by Edie Gorme's "Yes My Darling Daughter"!

In no particular order

Raggle Taggle Gipsy ‘live version -The Waterboys as it’s got a really driving bassline in places. 

I was rehearsing last night with a 300 person choir for an upcoming show and hearing the songs especially ones like Rule The World (Take That) and Viva la Vida (Coldplay) sounded really powerful!

and finally

Nothing Compares To You by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Ahh Prince😢

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, krispn said:

In no particular order

Raggle Taggle Gipsy ‘live version -The Waterboys as it’s got a really driving bassline in places. 

I was rehearsing last night with a 300 person choir for an upcoming show and hearing the songs especially ones like Rule The World (Take That) and Viva la Vida (Coldplay) sounded really powerful!

and finally

Nothing Compares To You by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. Ahh Prince😢

...gonna need to check out the first of those. What I am loving about this thread already is a whole bunch of BRILLIANT tracks folk love playing that I'm not familiar with (or at least assume I'm not until I've heard them again!).

Prince is such a guilty pleasure isn't he? We love playing Kiss which feels both totally corny and wonderful at the same time - and the bass line completely lends itself to being 'sexed-up'!

Edited by Al Krow