Why become a member? ×

UFO/Strangers In The Night (and in general).

NancyJohnson

I'm in a desk job that, put frankly, I fecking detest, but if there is an upside I can just listen to music and switch off from the general crap that goes on around me.

Never really been a fan of UFO's studio output, but would honestly cite Strangers In The Night as being my favourite ever live album.  I threw together a playlist of their studio output from Obsession to Mechanix on the train today and just lost myself for seven hours.  It's fantastic stuff.   Honestly don't know why this band aren't higher on my musical radar.

• Like 2

I saw them first time at a tiny little venue in the basement of the Queens Hotel in Westcliff when Herr Schenker was still fresh from the boat - just before Phenomenon was released.  My mates and I were at the youth club playing table tennis and someone said this band UFO were playing.  No-one had heard of them but we decided to take a punt!  :)   Saw them a couple more times, once near the end when they had a huge bust up on stage and Schenker waltzed off. 

I think the thing that stands out here is that for a general rock band, the material has aged really well.  I extended the listening after I got home last night and even my wife asked what we were listening to (which is strange in itself).

When I mentioned it dated back to the late 70s, she did actually remark that it didn't sound old, which I suppose is tantamount to the production, writing and what actually went to tape.  Phil Mogg did have a certain charismatic swagger to his vocal delivery.

• Like 1

Phil Mogg is one of the best frontmen (as opposed to singers) I've ever seen, and UFO are the loudest band I've ever seen by quite some way.

I've always thought it was the songwriting that lifted them above other 70s rock bands - so many fantastic, catchy tunes that should have been massive radio hits. No idea why they are so underated.

P.S. Pete Way's biography is a cracking read (but I can't recall what it's called just now).

I like their 70's albums, wasn't there there at the time, first heard them late 80's IIRC.

My favourite from them has always been 'Force It'. Sounds really stripped down and raw, and the songs are fab. Also, it's got Genesis and Cosy F. Tuti, of soon-to-be Throbbing Gristle on the cover! Hypnosis, obviously.....

I recently read (and sold on here) Pete's book. It's an interesting, if slightly sad, read. He had it all, clearly had a fantastic time - but now? Pulls himself together (mostly) at the end, but it's a bit too late. Bit I remember was him saying he always starts drinking at 10am, which is fine (he says), as he's an early riser! Rock and Roll, eh?

Edited by spongebob
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, spongebob said:

I like their 70's albums, wasn't there there at the time, first heard them late 80's IIRC.

My favourite from them has always been 'Force It'. Sounds really stripped down and raw, and the songs are fab. Also, it's got Genesis and Cosy F. Tuti, of soon-to-be Throbbing Gristle on the cover! Hypnosis, obviously.....

I recently read (and sold on here) Pete's book. It's an interesting, if slightly sad, read. He had it all, clearly had a fantastic time - but now? Pulls himself together (mostly) at the end, but it's a bit too late. Bit I remember was him saying he always starts drinking at 10am, which is fine (he says), as he's an early riser! Rock and Roll, eh?

Really? Chris n Cosey? I always thought that those two on the Force It cover were female. Interesting.